How does the new contract (no phone subsidy)affect current contracts with phone upgrades?
killerv

I have 4 lines on my current plan.  They all have different upgrade / contract renewal dates.  If I upgrade a phone now, will I have to pay the full price of the phone?  And, will my monthly rate be adjusted accordingly (lowered)?  Or, does the subsidy and my current plan continue?

I've been to a Verizon store and they were very non-commital about how this would work.  They wanted to charge me for the new phone but said that my monthly rate wouldn't be adjusted (except for absorbing the cost of the new phone, meaning the cost would go up).

What if I upgrade 2 phones only?  How does that affect my plan?  Is there a pro-ration? 

How is this going to be rolled out and how wil it work for existing customers?

This really seems like it'll be a nightmare to sort out.  I expect to get several different answers depending on who I speak with...sigh.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How does the new contract (no phone subsidy)affect current contracts with phone upgrades?
Snn5
Legend

Verizon is NOT going to end anyone's contract early.  The money they would lose would be nuts.  Easiest thing to do is to wait till you can read the final details tomorrow.  However, new customers can either pay full price or use the DPP option.  Current customers continue their contract until the end.  Nothing changes there.  When contracts are fulfilled, customers can change their plan, upgrade at full cost or pay monthly, but they then get the $20 access charge instead of the $40.  If you are on contract, nothing changes.  In other words, no new contracts after today and everyone pays full price for a phone or uses the payment plan.

View solution in original post

Re: How does the new contract (no phone subsidy)affect current contracts with phone upgrades?
Not applicable

All upgrades for everyone go away on the 13th whether you're on the new plans or not. If you're under contract you must finish it. You can still get on the new plans but you won't get the out of contract deduction until your contract is finished. Contracts are bad. Anyone on a 6 GB or higher on the current plans was always immensely better off paying full price. You're still better off on these new plans.

For example say you upgrade 4 lines to iPhone 6es on a 2 year contract.

Phone cost $800( $200 X 4 ) upgrade fee $160( $40 X 4 ) total cost $960

4 iPhones 6es under new plans - phone cost $2600( $650 X 4 ), line discount $1920( 4 X $20 X 24 months ) $2600 - $1920 = $680. Under the new plan you save $280.

wti2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to know if I can upgrade my phone if I am still on a contract on the 13th, when all contracts are supposed to end.  I understand you must finish your contract as you said above.  I do not understand why we cannot get on the monthly device plan and get the new device though.  Both of our phone contracts are due to end in March.  We want to get the Iphone 6 and do the monthly device plan.  Why can't we pay the 40 access fee until March, but get on the monthly device plan fee for the phone?  We would still be paying the full price.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The reduced access fee on Device Payment Plans and the new plans tomorrow, like Edge was, was promotional for buying a phone on payments and the discount was based on the amount of data purchased.  Contract lines have already been subsidized as far as phone costs go and the contract states the line access charge at $40.  However, if you changed your plan to a More Everything plan before tomorrows change, you could benefit from a lower access charge.

0 Likes
wti2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

So since they are getting rid of contracts does that mean there will be no device payment plan for phones or will all people have to pay full price for the phone they want?  I am so lost by all of this.  One place I read where all contracts will be null and void starting tomorrow.  Then I read that you will pay full price for a phone.  I called customer service and they were so vague on everything.  I just want to know can I upgrade tomorrow to the iphone 6 from my iphone 5 on a monthly payment plan or do I have to pay the entire amount for the iphone 6 all at once. 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Verizon is NOT going to end anyone's contract early.  The money they would lose would be nuts.  Easiest thing to do is to wait till you can read the final details tomorrow.  However, new customers can either pay full price or use the DPP option.  Current customers continue their contract until the end.  Nothing changes there.  When contracts are fulfilled, customers can change their plan, upgrade at full cost or pay monthly, but they then get the $20 access charge instead of the $40.  If you are on contract, nothing changes.  In other words, no new contracts after today and everyone pays full price for a phone or uses the payment plan.

wti2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you that answered my question.