How long should it take to ship a new phone?
OGRVITY

It is going on 4 weeks now with no cell service...I've spent dozens of hours on the phone between Verizon and Apple, Have taken it to the store.  Has been 10 days since Verizon said they were sending me a new phone in 3 days. I wonder how all of them would enjoy trying to function without a phone while raising 2 children and trying to plan a wedding in 2 months...

But hey, Verizon did give me a $15 credit for my troubles...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How long should it take to ship a new phone?
rcschnoor
Legend

This appears to be a warranty or insurance replacement. If so, Verizon would need to have that model in stock before being able to send a replacement. You will not get a "new" one, but instead get a "refurbished" one as allowed by the warranty or insurance provisions. They do not always have the exact item in stock you have and unless you want a "similar" replacement, you will simply have to wait.

If this is a warranty replacement, you would have done better returning it to an Apple store and they would have likely given you a "new" phone as replacement.

OGRVITY wrote:

I wonder how all of them would enjoy trying to function without a phone while raising 2 children and trying to plan a wedding in 2 months...

They likely would not have to as they would simply re-activate an old phone they had in reserve as many others regularly do. Many people simply keep their old phones for just such an occasion. It is a much less expensive form of insurance on your phone.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Also, people raised children and planned weddings long before the advent of mobile telephones.

OGRVITY

It's difficult to reactivate an old phone when it was traded in on your current phone.  And if a phone was not going to be shipped to me over a week ago, but when one is in stock, then I shouldn't have been informed as such at least 3 times when I was in the store last while they were trying to get me to sign up for others options.  That should have been stated if that is their policy, but it never was. And it's hard for me to believe that Verizon does not have an iPhone 6 in stock.

0 Likes
OGRVITY

"Also, people raised children and planned weddings long before the advent of mobile telephones."

You are correct. They had land lines in their homes, which most people do not today because of mobile telephones. They are, for better or worse, a needed part of our lives now.  There has not been a phone jack in any of my last 3 houses.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Being a 2+ year old phone, I can only imagine this is an insurance claim and not a warranty claim. If this is the case, I don't find it hard to believe that Assurion does not have a refurbished almost 3 year old item in stock.

They could have been letting you know when they "expected" more in stock. That doesn't mean they received stock as fast as they expected or hoped.

OGRVITY wrote:

It's difficult to reactivate an old phone when it was traded in on your current phone.

Excellent reason why it is NEVER a good idea to trade in your old phone for a new one for situations such as this. First of all, you NEVER get the value for your trade-in that the device is actually worth and then you are stuck with either paying full retail for a new phone or a monthly fee for insurance.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

OGRVITY wrote:

You are correct. They had land lines in their homes, which most people do not today because of mobile telephones.

This is certainly a generalization which may or may not be true. I know in my neighborhood, almost 100% of the homes have landlines.

Of course, if someone CHOOSES to go without a landline, they may end up paying more than they would have saved should they find themselves in your current situation.

OGRVITY wrote:

There has not been a phone jack in any of my last 3 houses.

Seeing many new construction sites on a regular basis, I find this to be the exception rather than the rule. And with the MAJORITY of ALL homes being built before the advent of cellphones, it is certainly not the overall case.

0 Likes
OGRVITY

While some of your points may have merit, I pay over $100/month for phone service...which I do not have anymore...and my main issue is the customer service aspect of this.  Even after 3 weeks of issues and going back and forth between Apple and Verizon (who both said they couldn't tell me what the issue was), I went back into Verizon to have one last conversation before possibly changing carriers.  I was told, multiple times with certainty, that I would have a new phone over a week ago.  If that wasn't the case I should have been told as much. The fact that I did or did not trade in my previous phone, or that I have or don't have a land line makes no difference in what I was told by multiple associates at Verizon. If what you say is true, I was flat out lied to while being talked into staying with Verizon and added fees. And being told that a $15 credit was the most Verizon would be able to do for 3 weeks of no service was a joke.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I pay slightly more than $100 per month too for Verizon Wireless service and I have always kept my previous phones as backup devices in case my daily device has an incident in one form or another.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
OGRVITY

While again this has nothing to do with the point of my post, I traded in my previous phone for $150 credit when I switched from ATT to Verizon. That phone, which was still in perfect working condition, was an iPhone 3. Could you imagine if I walked in tomorrow and handed them an 8 year old phone and said I wanted it activated to replace (by everyone's opinion here) my outdated iPhone 6 that I am still making payments on?

0 Likes