How to not get Phished.
Kissler
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you landed here via a Google search and already inputted your info to the fake site, CALL CUSTOMER CARE OR VISIT A VZW STORE NOW!

I just got a call, telling me to go to a site for a $120 bill credit. Now, being that I'm not an idiot (because, honestly, nobody gets $120 bucks off a bill for no reason.) I decided to check the site code. Sure enough, there's a little counter at the bottom of the page (T-Counter) and if you click on it, you'll get a real-time of all the people clicking/going to this site. I called VZW care and let them know. I ask you guys do the same.

Also, some other signs the site is not legit:

On the main page, under "Most Viewed", you'll see a row (3 cards) that say Learn more, Learn More and Find More Reasons.

The fake site doesn't have that.

The T-Counter is a dead giveaway the site is fake, VZW doesn't have that.

The fake site source code has 45 blank lines from the top. VZW doesn't.

Line Code Count for Index page:

VZW: 1208

Fake Site: 1825

Favicon (Little icon for websites)

VZW's has no background, fake site does, it's white.

Kissler

Happy VZW Customer since 2013

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How to not get Phished.
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are probably referring to the same site as what is mentioned in

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

How many new threads do we need about this?

0 Likes
Kissler
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not as detailed. As a customer, I felt the obligation to inform others in a more detailed manner.

0 Likes
Kissler
Enthusiast - Level 2

I feel as a customer, Verizon should have informed us via a free text or e-mail. Instead, I got no such warning but used my better judgement and knew a scam when I saw it. I posted this as a more detailed account of what to look for until Verizon decides to send out a service alert via Text or E-Mail informing customers of the issue. I feel it to be negligent that they didn't inform us of this issue and plan I on reporting it the FCC should it continue to occur. They aren't being proactive enough and simply blocking the phone number after the fact is not the correct CoA in this case. Customers should be informed, not everyone visits the community forums and expecting that to be the first thing someone does when they get this call is a serious lapse on their part. I understand they are doing everything they can to shutdown and fix the issue, but domains are a dime a dozen and shutting it down doesn't stop the calls and another one from popping up. I feel that a friendly alert informing customers of the phishing issue is the way to go. I mean, they have no issues sending me an e-mail or text letting me know when my bill or a sale is going on, why not with this?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon is not a baby sitting service.  People need to be alert and pay attention to what is happening around them.

0 Likes
ananaia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for posting. My elderly relative received one of these calls, and I knew it was a phishing scam, but wanted to see if others were receiving calls as well.   I appreciate your diligence.

0 Likes
ShortHilt

You need to be street smart nowadays. You can't expect hand holding from Verizon or any company. The internet is our greatest weapon against Phishers and it happens EVERY DAY. Don't act like a special snowflake that needs to be told everything that's going on. It's not going to happen.

I hate to be harsh, but learn to stand on your feet and keep your head on your shoulders.

0 Likes
evwhitestl

I got a phishing text message that included a vtext.com email address. Vtext is a service of Verizon wireless. So yes indeed, there is responsibility on the part of Verizon not to let its services be misused to clean out people's bank accounts..

0 Likes