How to upgrade phone without account manager
Linder1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm asking this for my girlfriend, who has a messed up family situation right now, but wants to upgrade phones.

Under Verizon's new policy, in order to upgrade phones, an account manager must be present. Well the only two account managers on her plan are her mother, and former step-father. Who both have restraining orders against them and are court ordered to not have any contact with my girlfriend. They are also both awaiting trial for various crimes. It is also illegal for them to drop her from the plan, she is protected through child services so her mother is not allowed to drop my girlfriend's phone, insurance, etc.

So how would my girlfriend be able to upgrade phones when both account managers are court ordered to not have contact with her?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to upgrade phone without account manager
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

The problem is that the person who owns the account (the one who put their SSN on it) is financially responsible for the account. They get to make all decisions on an account.

You should NEVER have been able to upgrade without being the account owner or an authorized account manager. This is NOT a new policy. For as long as I have been a Verizon Wireless customer (2011) they have been checking identification. If you cannot prove you are who you say you are and you're not authorized they won't even tell you the upgrade date on the account. It's just that simple.

You can argue it all you like but just because you hold a phone in your hand does NOT give you carte blanche. It simply means the account owner was nice enough to let you have and use a phone in their name and be financially responsible for it.

We have provided the options available. There is nothing more that can be done.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Is she over 18?

She can't do anything unless the account owner lists her as an account manager. They don't have to speak with her they just have to call Verizon Wireless and put her on. She then can show ID at a store and get a new phone. Provided that she is 18 or over, of course.

0 Likes
Linder1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

She is over 18. However she has no way to contact the account owner/managers/her mom. And even if she did have a way to speak with her, after everything that happened, we highly doubt they would list her as an account manager.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

She could 'bring her own phone' by buying one from someplace like swappa.com and then just swap SIM cards (assuming the phones use the same size SIM card).

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

She wouldn't be able to do anything on the Verizon account through a Verizon store or retailer if she isn't authorized.

Maybe you should try to get her a new number and phone on your account. She could also try opening an account with VZW or any carrier in her own name. She would have to get a new number.

0 Likes
Linder1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you're pretty much saying she's [Removed]? She gets assaulted by her step-dad, and her mom knows and does nothing about it. So the court takes them away. But yet she still can't get a new phone without them. That's a little messed up if you ask me.

Trying to avoid putting her on her own plan because no 18 year old college student with no parent can afford today's outrageously expensive phone plans.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps a prepaid plan would work better.

She can also petition the courts to force the parent who is the account owner to to release her phone number in order for her to take over the financial responsibility of that line. That's if she wants that phone number and is able to pay for the deposit should it be required.

Considering what has been said about the situation, I'm not entirely sure I would personally want to keep the phone number if I was a similar situation. A new phone number would allow her to complete break contact from that family and prevent them from harassing her by calling her since they wouldn't know the new phone number.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Linder1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

If she could afford to get her own number and plan, she would.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Then it seems like she's stuck with her phone or to purchase a gently used one from a site as suggested like Swappa.

0 Likes
Linder1000
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well that's a pretty crappy policy on Verizon's part if you ask me. Thanks to everyone who chimed in though.

0 Likes