I need to get off my parent's family plan and I would like to take my number with me
jsmo

I am currently on my parent's family plan and my contract isn't up until next October.  However, I am moving and I need to get on my own plan as soon as possible.  Is there a way I can keep my same number but transfer my line onto my own individual plan? I would prefer not to pay the early termination fee and don't think I should have to since I'm staying with Verizon (and they'll actually be making more money off of me).  Anyways, does anyone know if this is possible and if so, how do I go about doing that.  Do I have to sign a new 2 year contract? If so, am I eligible for the "new every two" discount?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I need to get off my parent's family plan and I would like to take my number with me
Zehan
Contributor - Level 2
What you're talking about is called an Assumption of Liability. Have your parents call in or take you to a store, where they can authorize you to take over the line. Once this is done, Verizon will run your credit to make sure you're approved for the line. Most of the time you'll be approved, but a deposit may be required. Anyway, once the line is signed over to you, they will have you select an individual plan that suits your usage (since you can't be on a Family Share plan by yourself). The contract end date will not change; it will be the same as it is now. Your UPGRADE date, however, will be pushed back, so if you're eligible for one right now I suggest doing that before the Assumption of Liability. Oh, and by the way, there will be no activation fee either. That about sums it up. If you have any questions just ask!
0 Likes