Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I was told wrong price before making contract / not received rebate
kkjp

Thank you for the great coverage in my service area.

I had a question about my bill.

I had my iPhone 5c with other career, but I wanted to try Verizon for better coverage, so I walked into the store in NYC on August 27, 2015.

(I can tell you which store, and who was taking care of me, if you need to know. I don't want to write here.)

The sales person was very nice, and since my budget is limited, first thing I did was making sure how much I will have to pay monthly.

With the 1GB plan, one phone and one hot spot (2 years contract), he said my monthly will be $30(plan)+$20(phone)+$10(hot spot)+tax.

It was still over my budget, but after double-checking I was gonna pay $60+tax, I made the contract.

He also upgraded/traded my 5c into 5s with less than $100, which I thought a good deal.

I received the first bill soon after, and it showed the amount way more than I expected, including activation fee, equipment fee.

I right away went back to the store and talked to one of the sales person (the person on the first day was not there).

I told him that the first person did not tell me anything about the extra fees even I double-checked how much I was paying, and the second person credited me the amount. I thanked him and left.

I found out I needed more data, so bumped up to 3GB ($45) plan after (so I thought I was paying $75+tax every month)

I was away from NY a couple of weeks late September/October, and during then, I checked my second month's bill on the device, and it said more than $90, including $18 equipment fee. I could not visit the store right away, but today I finally could make it today.

The person brought his boss because he cannot solve this issue by himself. The boss said that the lowest cost I can use Verizon (1 phone + 1 hotspot with 3GB plan) is more than $90, and there is no way to use Verizon without  the equipment fee ($18), which is totally new to me. If I knew it, I could have made different decision. But simply, I do not understand, the first day, why the person did not tell me about it even after double-checking. And the boss did not give me any options. (crediting or canceling my contract without me losing money).

I simple do not understand I have to pay equipment fee every month (which will be more than $400 for 2 years) after double-checking I only pay $60+tax (when it was with 1GB plan). And at the second visit, they admitted the first person did not tell me about it and credited the money, but on the 3rd visit, they kept charging it and the boss did not try to do anything to save this. (just saying there must have been some miscommunication)

Also, I have not received the rebate check for my hotspot, although this is off the topic. (I mailed in the receipt the end of August)

Thank you so much for reading this, I know you have to deal with a lot of issues/complaints.

But I would appreciate if you could help me with solving my issue as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: I was told wrong price before making contract / not received rebate
Weth
Sr. Leader

I  do not see an outcome you are wanting.

There is cost of phone service and there is cost of a new phone, if you get one and you did. 

1 GB data is $30

line access charge is $20 for a phone

lline access charge is $10 for hotspot. 

if you had your own phone, then that is it.  But you bought a new phone. 

phone device payment charge $18/month for 24 months.

Those charges are all legitimate and Verizon will not forgive any of them, no matter what was said or you misinterpreted.

My advice is never just walk in. Research ahead of time and know exactly what you want.  Post on this forum first, not after.  

View solution in original post

Weth
Sr. Leader

I  do not see an outcome you are wanting.

There is cost of phone service and there is cost of a new phone, if you get one and you did. 

1 GB data is $30

line access charge is $20 for a phone

lline access charge is $10 for hotspot. 

if you had your own phone, then that is it.  But you bought a new phone. 

phone device payment charge $18/month for 24 months.

Those charges are all legitimate and Verizon will not forgive any of them, no matter what was said or you misinterpreted.

My advice is never just walk in. Research ahead of time and know exactly what you want.  Post on this forum first, not after.  

kkjp

Thanks Weth for replying.

I am gonna ask them to take the device charge out.

I understand what you mean, but I don't think they can tell me the wrong price.

Before making the contract, I double checked with him what I was gonna pay monthly, and he did not mention about the device payment.

And he told me he can upgrade my 5c with less than $100. And I paid it then.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

You can't remove the device payment from the plan until you pay off the phone in full. Unless you can prove you purchased it under the two year contract price, the device payment line with stay on the bill until the balance is zero.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Sr. Leader

You are in a hard place.  If you do have proof you bought the 5S at a subsidized price, on contract, then the line access charge increases by $20 to $40 and you end up paying $2 more.  Good luck, but does not look good. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what they say, since there is no real proof of that, all that matters is what is in the papers or computer screens you signed, by pen or electronically. 

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

I've heard many stories very similar to yours.  I don't agree, but their line of reasoning goes like this.  The price of service and the cost of the phone are now considered separate and no longer linked. When you ask how much will I pay per month for service, you will get only the cost of service.  Paying the phone is separate. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I know it is important to set the correct expectations kkjp. I would love to review your account. I have sent you a private message so I can further assist. In the meantime if you would like to view the contract you signed you can view it here: http://vz.to/17QGoXd
AmberF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes