I would like to know WHY Verizon Does NOT have Coverage on Mountain Highways in Oregon & Other Remote Places
DeeDeeC541

These Are Roads that are traveled Frequently. If there were More Cell Signals Availalbe then maybe the people in this Accident (see article link) may have been able to get HELP Sooner!!!! Really Frustrates me... http://www.nrtoday.com/news/15884454-113/roseburg-man-and-woman-die-from-single-vehicle-crash-toddle...

I have family members who have been involved in Accidents where they have fortunatley been able to get help by Walking.. But for those that Can't it's a NECESSITY.. and Really Frustrating! I sometimes wonder why I even have a Cell Phone!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I would like to know WHY Verizon Does NOT have Coverage on Mountain Highways in Oregon & Other Remote Places
rcschnoor
Legend

Governmental restrictions, environmental restrictions, etc...

There can be any number of reasons, many of which are not under the control of Verizon. Verizon can't just erect a tower wherever they would like. They have to have approval from local/state/federal regulating agencies and these approvals can sometimes take years to receive, if ever.Smiley Happy I know in many areas near where I live, ALL cellular providers have been attempting to erect cell towers for more than a decade to only be met with resistance from environmental groups and politicians afraid to grant the approvals needed due to the threatened bad press/protests from these groups. What is in the best interest of the people is not always viewed the same by different people.

Out of curiosity, the story you linked makes no mention of any cell signal in the area or lack of cell signal.

View solution in original post

Re: I would like to know WHY Verizon Does NOT have Coverage on Mountain Highways in Oregon & Other Remote Places
rcschnoor
Legend

Governmental restrictions, environmental restrictions, etc...

There can be any number of reasons, many of which are not under the control of Verizon. Verizon can't just erect a tower wherever they would like. They have to have approval from local/state/federal regulating agencies and these approvals can sometimes take years to receive, if ever.Smiley Happy I know in many areas near where I live, ALL cellular providers have been attempting to erect cell towers for more than a decade to only be met with resistance from environmental groups and politicians afraid to grant the approvals needed due to the threatened bad press/protests from these groups. What is in the best interest of the people is not always viewed the same by different people.

Out of curiosity, the story you linked makes no mention of any cell signal in the area or lack of cell signal.

DeeDeeC541

There was mention in the article of Lack of signal.. stated someone had to

drive to where there was Signal to Call for Help! Something Really needs to

be Done to put Towers and Signals along STATE HIGHWAYS Everywhere... IT's a

SAFETY Issue! It's not hurting the envirnonment, rather those who Need the

Signal and can't reach someone as a matter of Life and Death!!!!

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM, rcschnoor <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

DeeDeeC541 wrote:

There was mention in the article of Lack of signal.. stated someone had to

drive to where there was Signal to Call for Help!

I guess I simply don't see your reference for "Lack of signal". I do see the following, "He summoned a passing motorist who drove a short distance to phone for help." but no reason of why was mentioned. It could just as easily have been another reason such as safety(i.e. blocking traffic) why the need to drive a SHORT distance. Without facts, I don't like to assume the reason.Smiley Happy

DeeDeeC541 wrote:

Something Really needs to

be Done to put Towers and Signals along STATE HIGHWAYS Everywhere... IT's a

SAFETY Issue! It's not hurting the envirnonment, rather those who Need the

Signal and can't reach someone as a matter of Life and Death!!!!

Obviously there are some who do not agree with you. Personally, I don't see a reason not to erect towers where needed, but in remote mountainous terrain the density of towers would need to be higher than in other areas in order to have COMPLETE coverage and without COMPLETE coverage someone may have STILL have had to drive a SHORT distance.

Cellular has NEVER stated COMPLETE coverage in any area, instead has disclaimers that there will be spots without coverage even in "full coverage" areas. In fact, since it was mentioned only a SHORT distance needed to be driven would lead me to believe the area in question has coverage but due to the terrain the spot of the accident may have been one of those spots. Of course, it could also be safety concerns why a short distance needed to be driven. No need to cause ANOTHER accident while making a phone call.Smiley Happy