IRS identify verification via Verizon phone provider
kaymitchell
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am trying to request my tax transcripts online on IRS.gov in order to get a loan to purchase a house. Tax transcripts are required by the lender so this is an urgent matter. Normally, as an alternate option the IRS can mail tax transcripts in 10 days, but the mailing feature is not an option now due to COVID-19.  

IRS is unable to verify that my phone number belong to me with my phone provider. Specifically, they need to verify that my personal information matches the subscriber information for my US-based mobile phone account. In doing this, the are asking if I authorize my wireless carrier to disclose information to the IRS and its third-party service providers about my account, such as subscriber status, device details, and plan type, if available, to support identity verification and fraud prevention. 

For some reason, my mobile phone number is not working for this verification process. My mom is the account owner, but my phone number is registered to me. Our bills show my name next to my phone number. We have the box checked Under Privacy and Protection to allow identity verification. Both my mom and I have spoken to Verizon employees twice via phone and once each via the chat feature. So far, nobody has been able to offer assistance. 

My significant other was able to verify his identity with IRS and he also us a user on his mom's account. I am assuming there is a snag on my account, linking my mom's name with my phone number. Please help! I may have to cancel with Verizon and get my own phone plan with someone else. 

Re: IRS identify verification via Verizon phone provider
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kaymitchell, we understand the importance of having your security notfications working, we're here to help. Do you have a problem recieving other security notifications? What error message occurs when you enter your phone number?

TrinetteW_VZW

0 Likes
kaymitchell
Enthusiast - Level 2

In making purchases or registering for accounts, I have always been able to get codes sent to my phone. Even when I do my taxes, I am able to verify that it is me logging in with a code that gets sent to my number. This is the only time I've had an issue with my phone not linking with my name. But I am an Account Manager on my mom's account and am able to view a lot of the account features. There are a couple places that my mom's name is next to my phone number instead of my name. 

0 Likes
kaymitchell
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there someone I can talk to who specializes in issues like these? A number I can call? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kaymitchell, 

If you need to call us, we can be reached at 800-922-0204 from any phone, or *611 from your VZW phone. When I review your posts, I understand what's going on. You can edit the name that appears on Caller ID. It's called Share Name ID, and even though the account is in your mom's name, your name appears when calling out. Here are the details: http://spr.ly/6604GEzkO

ChristinaB_VZW

0 Likes
Cahendr3

I have this same verification issue. Verizon has a 15 character limit on caller ID and it makes it so my full legal name cannot be displayed. I am not sure if this is the issue, but support so far has refused to actually help me. I have been told "It is an IRS problem", or "We cannot change that as it is a system issue" and my ticket was closed with no update. Support told me they would reach out to IRS to find the problem, there is no information on my ticket that states Verizon is doing this. So far support has made no effort in the last week to find the root cause as to why my phone cannot be verified.

0 Likes
ViksVzw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Verizon!! I have faced this exact problem couple of times over last one year. And yet another IRS verification just failed. Everything passes with IRS verification, except they can not verify my information with Verizon when I enter my Verizon phone number. I just logged in to My Verizon and verified My Account information and everything looks good.

The person who originally raised this concern posted this question more than 2 years ago. And we are not talking integration with some random site, BUT WITH IRS.

How much more time does Verizon need to fix this? 

0 Likes
xyz1237654

I have had the same issue with IDme on the IRS website.  I have called Verizon Wireless support twice in the past two years with no resolution.  I have the correct Caller ID and Share ID turned on. 

After completing the entire IDme process with the IRS, the last step I can get to is entering my phone number.  Then I am told my identity cannot be verified.  My account is in my name, and I have had this account and phone number for 15 years. 

I have read this is a known issue in a certain percentage of these identity verification services but have not found any specific solution.

0 Likes
xyz1237654

I have to think it is something to do with something inconsistently defined in my account. 

I forgot to add, my planned solution is to go to another carrier and get a new phone number and new account.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

xyz1237654, we're sorry to hear that you're having problems verifying your identity with ID.me. Just to be sure we're understanding the problem, you're having issues with receiving a verification code on your phone in order to complete the process?

~Jesse

0 Likes