Identity theft-Verizon corporate store employee opened an account in my name without my permission. It seems Verizon isn’t willing to do anything to resolve it. Help!
negideltoro

It’s a long story but I’ll try to keep it short and simple as much as possible.

I went to the Verizon Wireless corporate store back in beginning of February 2014. After a credit check, I decided not to go with Verizon and left the store. About a week later, I received a letter from Verizon saying “Welcome to Verizon. Your new account… “. I called the customer service right away and was able to get the phone number,account number and other information. I was able to make a my verizon account and get a receipt for the service and device. Turns out, the new account was opened about 20 minutes after I left the store by “M” who helped me. The receipt had the time, employee’s name and register/terminal number that he used to open an account. He opened an account,added data service and got an Ellipsis tablet for free.(They were having a promotion at that time)

Customer service rep told me that she can’t do anything other than closing the account and left me with a $83 bill which she couldn’t waive. She closed the account then I went to the corporate store right away.

I spoke to the store manager “C”. I told him what happened and showed him the receipt. He went to the back of the store to talk to “M”,came back,talked to other employee(I overheard their conversation-he was saying what “M” told him made no sense to him) and told me that “M” will come talk to me to explain what happened shortly. I waited for 20 minutes or so for “M” to have a conversation but he never showed up. The store manager said that the account was opened by “accident”. He’ll look into it and give me a call in a day or two. It was hard to believe that a new account can be opened by “accident” but I took the store manager’s business card and left the store.

2 days later,I didn’t hear from the store manager so I called him at the store. He said “Oh,I totally forgot. It’s been a busy week. I’ll call you back. Don’t worry, as soon as I get an update,you’ll be the first one to know.” That was the last time I got to speak to him. I’ve called him at the store many times,even called his cell phone which was on his business card. I’ve called many times and left many voice mail but he never got back to me. I called customer service many times but it took 20 minutes just to speak to the rep,then transferred to another rep,wait for another 20 minutes then get disconnected. After 6 or 7 tries, I finally gave up. It went absolutely nowhere.

A week later, I decided to call the Verizon fraud department to file a complaint. The rep pulled the file and said that whoever at the store filed the report left out a lot of details and names. He also said that it looks like either they didn’t take it too seriously or someone was trying to cover up. According to him, the report is a joke. He said that he can’t do anything on his end I need to go to the store to resolve it.

For the next two weeks, I called the store ,cell phone and left messages every 2-3 days but no luck.

Two week later I found the number for the Verizon Security Department. I called them to file a complaint. The rep took my information and said he’ll call back within 48 hours. No case number given.

3 days later, I still hadn’t heard from anyone,not even from the security department. I called the security department again. I explained that I filed a complaint but the rep couldn’t find the case. I filed a complaint again and was told that someone will be contacting me in a week.

It’s been over 2 weeks but I still haven’t heard from anyone. A few days ago(3/31/14) I received the bill from Verizon in the mail.

At this point, I can’t seem to get Verizon’s attention. I’ve already got the police report and spoke to the identity theft lawyer. I’m about to report to FTC,BBB and the attorney general. I’m also initiating paperwork in my local small claims court.

It is very frustrating having to spend so much time just to trying to talk to someone from Verizon but I’m not taken seriously. I had to spend so much time contacting credit bureaus,researching how to handle the situation like this and other things I have to do to handle the situation. This is such a nightmare and very overwhelming. Not to mention my credit score dropped by 100 points right after this incident which got me denied for an apartment application and had to pay more security deposit.

Please help. If anyone can give me an advice on the best way to handle this or to get Verizon’s attention, I’d really appreciate it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Identity theft-Verizon corporate store employee opened an account in my name without my permission. It seems Verizon isn’t willing to do anything to resolve it. Help!
Not applicable

You actually did all you could do.

However the small claims case will correct the situation.

The other thing you could do it call your local police department and have the person at the store arrested for theft, and also for identity theft.

That will get the managers attention and bolster your complaint to the court.

It will more than likely get the rep fired and his manager may get fired also.

Good Luck

Re: Identity theft-Verizon corporate store employee opened an account in my name without my permission. It seems Verizon isn’t willing to do anything to resolve it. Help!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Negideltoro,

Oh my! We always want any new accounts to be created properly. I apologize that this occured and we definitely want to get this issue resolved. The behavior that you received is unacceptable from the manager, and I will be more than happy to file feedback to upper management for training purposes. Accept my follow and send a private message with your closed account number for review.

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
negideltoro

Elector,

Thank you for the advice. I'll see how it goes. If they still are not helpful,I'll go to the police station where I filed the report and see what they can do.

0 Likes
negideltoro

PamelaF_VZW,

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll send you the information via private message right away.

0 Likes
negideltoro

PamelaF_VZW,

I just tried to send you a PM but I don't see a follow request from you.

Thank you,

-Y

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

negideltoro,

I apologize for dropping the ball there. I have corrected this and sent you a follow request; please accept it and follow me back so you can send me a direct message. Thank you!

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
negideltoro

After 4 days of trying to get ahold of someone, I finally heard back from the rep on this forum. I sent him all the information and his response was "I'll submit a feedback". I guess all Verizon is willing to do is submitting a feedback when their corporate store employee commit a crime.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I told you that was going to happen.

What they give is lip service.

Occasionally some good links.

Good Luck

0 Likes
BillyM1

I am sorry this happened to you. We found out today that the Galaxy phone my wife purchased for me and put 300.00 cash downpayment on was stolen by an employee. Of course calling does not do a thing. All they do is say sorry and hang up. I will find a way to get that money and then leave this company. It just stinks that they take the word of an employee (who by the way was not there two weeks later) and we spoke to the manager who said he would take care of it but did not.  We are out 300.00 and screwed I guess. WE WILL BE LEAVING THIS COMPANY.

I know they don't care but it made me feel good to type in caps. I really do not care who is my carrier anymore, they cannot be as bad as this one,

Bill Moore

0 Likes