If I call a US number while they are in Montreal, Canada are standard rates applied to our bills?
tanhrose357

My friend is going to be in Canada for a week and I was wondering if I called them would the charges be the same as if they were still in the states?  We both have Verizon numbers as well so does the Verizon anytime minutes apply?  Is the same true for texting?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I call a US number while they are in Montreal, Canada are standard rates applied to our bills?
rcschnoor
Legend

There would be no additional charges for you as you are calling a US number.

There WOULD be additional charges for your friend, though as they are using a service provided by a foreign country. They can determine the additional charges by signing up for global services thru Verizon. Also, they would need to determine if their phone was capable of operating in a foreign country.

Currently, I believe it is a $0.89/minute charge for using a Verizon phone in Canada.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: If I call a US number while they are in Montreal, Canada are standard rates applied to our bills?
rcschnoor
Legend

There would be no additional charges for you as you are calling a US number.

There WOULD be additional charges for your friend, though as they are using a service provided by a foreign country. They can determine the additional charges by signing up for global services thru Verizon. Also, they would need to determine if their phone was capable of operating in a foreign country.

Currently, I believe it is a $0.89/minute charge for using a Verizon phone in Canada.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Additional information is below:

• If you're traveling in Canada, contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 from any landline phone.
  • Global Picture and Video Messages are billed at the same per-message rate as though they were sent from the U.S. Accordingly, you can send/receive Picture and Video Messages with customers of:
    • Verizon Wireless (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Other domestic carriers (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Canadian, Mexican and Puerto Rican carriers (domestic rates/bundles apply)
    • Select International carriers (global rates apply) 
  • When sending or receiving there's an additional data transport charge billed at the destination's Data Pay per Use Rate multiplied by the size of the Picture or Video, which can vary greatly.
  • A data network is required to send picture or video outside the U.S. See the Data Roaming List for eligible destinations.
  • Attempts to send Pictures or Videos are charged, even if the delivery fails.
  • Text Messages sent or received while in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are billed as though you were in the U.S.
0 Likes