If I update my device through "device payments" do I lose unlimited data?
ElCaptain

Hi if I upgrade my device through device payments will I lose my unlimited data? Will my contract change with verizon? If so in what fashion? Thanks guys.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: If I update my device through "device payments" do I lose unlimited data?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cromine!

I'm very sorry for any and all conflicting information provided to you. I can definitely clear this up for you. It's true that if you were to go with a new service agreement and get the devivce at the lower price, you are not able to keep unlimited data. However, you have many options. You can complete a Device Payment Plan and keep unlimited data. There's one option. You can also check  your usage and see how much you're using, since you may not need the unlimited data. Do you have Wifi access at home/work? Using Wifi doesn't use your data, so maybe a different plan would work for you. Check out our new plans here: http://vz.to/1DQEBQI I would also recommend checking out your past few statements, or usage on My Verizon. You may be able to save money each month by switching plans.

I hope this information helps!
ChristinaB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ElCaptain,

Based on your phone plan, if you do the device payment plan while you are on unlimited data you will still get to keep the data and only see your bill change via based on the phone payments you will be paying monthly.

ShirazP_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
ElCaptain

Can you help me upgrade my device to make sure I do not lose my unlimited? What are the steps to do it online? Do you have screenshots? Or is there a phone number I can contact for this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there ElCaptain,

Upgrades are an exciting time, and I definitely understand not wanting to risk losing the unlimited data feature, especially if you use quite a bit of data. Rest assured, you can proceed with an upgrade normally through our website by following the steps here: http://spr.ly/6582BproO
As long as you choose Device Payments, and don't manually change your plan, you will be able to keep your Unlimited Data. You can also reach our Sales Professionals at 888-924-7937, where they will be able to work the order for you, just in case you aren't comfortable with the steps on the site.

LeoL_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cromine

I'm completely frustrated and feel as though Verizon has taken (literally) $100 out of my pocket.  I recently purchased a Moto X Pure Edition phone from Amazon to have activated (in order to keep my unlimited plan).  While in the Verizon retail store in Fairfax, Virginia I was told by the sales associate that I could have upgraded my phone for less than what I paid for the Moto X Pure.  I got the Moto X on sale for $350 ($100 off) a week prior.  I specifically asked if I could keep the unlimited plan and pay a discounted rate ($299 for a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus) without changing anything.  I was assured I could.  I said I'd think about it and left knowing I would call into Verizon to make sure nothing would change and I could buy the phone without doing it monthly, just paying the $299.   I called in and was told this was correct and could do exactly that.  Knowing that, I returned the Moto X Pure Edition to Amazon in order to buy the Samsung.  Over the weekend I visited friends in Raleigh, North Carolina and visited the Verizon store to make the purchase.  The associate assured me this was incorrect and said I could NOT buy the phone for $299 or I would lose my unlimited plan.  I left and came back to Fairfax a day later and visited my local store again.  Again they assured me I could buy the phone for $299 without losing anything.  They called in my order and were told this was NOT the case I could not keep the unlimited plan and pay $299 for the phone, but could make payments on the device plan.   So, I was given incorrect information from various Verizon staff members, made what I believed was an informed decision and gave back the Moto X I paid $100 less for and walked away with no phone.  Ridiculous.  Verizon is obviously NOT communicating what is allowed and authorized to retailers and bad information is being given.  I'm out $100 on a phone I bought on sale and am now searching for another option.  I would have just activated the Moto X had I known and wasn't provided incorrect information!  No consolation for increasing my bill by $20 per month either.  More and more reasons to leave the unlimited plan behind and change carriers...........

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello cromine!

I'm very sorry for any and all conflicting information provided to you. I can definitely clear this up for you. It's true that if you were to go with a new service agreement and get the devivce at the lower price, you are not able to keep unlimited data. However, you have many options. You can complete a Device Payment Plan and keep unlimited data. There's one option. You can also check  your usage and see how much you're using, since you may not need the unlimited data. Do you have Wifi access at home/work? Using Wifi doesn't use your data, so maybe a different plan would work for you. Check out our new plans here: http://vz.to/1DQEBQI I would also recommend checking out your past few statements, or usage on My Verizon. You may be able to save money each month by switching plans.

I hope this information helps!
ChristinaB_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
cromine

Thanks for your reply ChristinaB but you've given me information I already

know or was given AFTER I was given incorrect information from two Verizon

representatives. This information led me to returning a product I would

have been happy with only to be told I could not do what was told to me.

I'm now out of $100. Why wouldn't Verizon allow it's unlimited customers

to spend $300 WITH Verizon on an upgrade and keep everyone happy? Instead

I'll buy a phone elsewhere and give them my money. In the meantime,

Verizon has accomplished to give me inaccurate information twice and in

essence take $100 from me, and increased my monthly phone bill by $20.

When my bill goes up again without notification and more restrictions are

placed on my unlimited status I'll have no reason to stay with Verizon.

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Verizon Wireless Customer Support <

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

cromine wrote:

Why wouldn't Verizon allow it's unlimited customers

to spend $300 WITH Verizon on an upgrade and keep everyone happy?

Because you are not just spending $300 WITH Verizon. The Samsung S6 Edge+ currently retails for $768 with Verizon, so you would be spending $300 WITH Verizon IF Verizon gives you a $468 DISCOUNT on the phone. That is what they do when you sign a contract which you CANNOT do if you want to keep unlimited data. This is the way Verizon has handled unlimited data for quite some time now.

Additionally, NEW customers with Verizon CANNOT even purchase a phone on contract anymore. Verizon is moving away from discounted contract phones with their new plans. You can ONLY purchase a contract phone if you are still on a grandfathered plan. CURRENT plans don't allow contract phones.

Actually, Verizon WILL let you spend $300 on a new phone and KEEP unlimited data. It just won't be with a Samsung S6 Edge+. Verizon CURRENTLY has 9 smartphones which retail for under $300. Of course the Samsung S6 Edge+ is not one of them, though.

0 Likes
cromine

I understand their motives, game plan and policies even if I don't agree.

My current issue is VERIZON have me incorrect information twice, from two

different people, from which a financial decision was made. I lost $100.

VERIZON could care less.

0 Likes