Re: If you bought Asurion insurance for your iPhone, cancel it IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
shstrang98
Enthusiast - Level 2

Say what you will about Asurion but they gave me minimal hassle in making a claim.   I bought my iphone 5 in Nov.  One day last week I had to take my 3 year old daughter to the Dr and she grabbed my iphone to play with it.  After grabbing it it fell less than 2 feet to the tile floor and shattered the screen.  It was in an Otterbox Defender and the screen ruptured so don't count on you Otterbox providing that protection.   She simply fumbled the ball so to speak; she has her own ipad so she knows how to treat stuff.  It was an accident pure and simple.  I did an online claim (no calling anyone) Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon the new phone arrived via fedex.  It looks like a brand new phone (I've gotten refurbs/factory rejects from Verizon before). 

For me $169 beats the heck out of $600.

To top it off I'd been meaning to cancel the insurance.  I'm glad I didn't.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Another option would be don't let a 3 year old child grab your phone and save the cost of the insurance.  Most accidents are due to carelessness.  How many times does someone post, "I dropped my phone in the toilet"?

shstrang98
Enthusiast - Level 2

Easier said than done.  She's quick on the draw.

And just keep the phone away from the toilet.  No one has to have it near the bowl.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I've had cell phones for years and never lost one, never had one stolen, and never had one dropped, broken, or failed.  I also never spent a penny for insurance.  It's not that difficult to take care of a $650 piece of electronic equipment if you want to.

unter_vzw
Enthusiast - Level 1

Insurance is always a judgment call. Do you foresee yourself using the insurance? Is your device even worth it? If you have an iPhone 4, it might not be worth it to you if you pay $10 a month and then a $169 deductible, but if you have an iPhone 5, you might feel otherwise. And yes, the agents at Customer Service are definitely able to remove the insurance for you; just be wary of the fact that you won't be able to put it back on.

0 Likes