Improve maps of coverage area.
PhoenixofMT

I'll post this here since I'm not sure how to pass this on to Verizon.

With my new Motorola Droid, I can listen to talk radio again (I live in an electromagnetic vortex that swallows everything but very close stations) through the internet on 3G, unless I drive through a dead zone. There are a couple of places between my house and work (2.5 miles) where 3G drops out and several places along the way to the larger towns.

For a while now, I've had an idea for an app Verizon should develop for smart phones (possibly even for mildly gifted phones). When enabled, it would monitor the signal strength, data connectivity, GPS location, possibly speed, as well as network specific stuff like what tower is being used. It could compile this data (perhaps only where signal is low or lost) and periodically upload it to Verizon. This data transfer should be free from airtime and data charges like their My Verizon app. Instantly they would have (anonymous) site surveys from millions of locations all over the country. They could see that instead of spilling red paint on that map of theirs anywhere they have a tower (singular), they can show gradients and gaps. Then the "Can you hear me now?" guy and his army of hard hat wearing techies will have a better idea of where to improve service--without my having to call customer service. Or at least having hard data available for when I do call.

Having just been forced to pay an extra $29.99 every month for unlimited data (a touchy subject around here, I see), I expect to be able to have unlimited access anywhere in this wide open valley. Even if there happen to be a few trees around.

What do you think?

Phoneix

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Improve maps of coverage area.
Lee-Lee
Contributor - Level 3

Have you been on the Verizon Wireless website an pulled up the coverage map, and searched the areas where your 3G signal is dropping or being lost? Here is the link: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/CoverageLocatorController?requesttype=NEWREQUEST

0 Likes