Incoming caller ID doesn't give full info
EmmKay

This has been discussed before, but I couldn't figure out how to respond in those threads (e.g.,

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Wireless-Feature-Questions-Other/caller-id/m-p/69103)

Why can't Verizon, with all of its money and technology, provide me with the same incoming caller ID information that my old GTE landline phone could?  Why, when someone calls me, doesn't Verizon at least attempt to provide me with a name?

Yes, I know -- if I put that person in my contacts, their name will show up.  I'm more concerned with the people I DONT KNOW that call me.  If I know someone's number, I'll recognize their number.  It's when I DON'T recognize the number that I'd sure like to see a name!

Verizon, on it's "partner solutions" site, has information about the LIDB (database that provides Originating Line Number Screening (OLNS) and Calling Name Delivery (CNAM).  If they sell the ability to access this database, why can't they provide it to ME?

This (and, off-topic, VZW's really lousy basic voicemail) seem like backwards movement, in terms of technology.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Incoming caller ID doesn't give full info
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

YOU MAIL may be the answer for you - it's free - and if you let those unrecognized numbers go to VM - the email that is sent to notify you of the voicemail and let you hear the message on your computer also gives you the name of the caller.

Check it out, you can google it and explore it - pretty simple to set up - and has a wealth of features that Verizon's basic VM doesn't have.  Plus it's fun to use.... :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

SuzyQ wrote:

YOU MAIL may be the answer for you - it's free - and if you let those unrecognized numbers go to VM - the email that is sent to notify you of the voicemail and let you hear the message on your computer also gives you the name of the caller.

Check it out, you can google it and explore it - pretty simple to set up - and has a wealth of features that Verizon's basic VM doesn't have.  Plus it's fun to use.... :smileyhappy:

Ha! Something I just realized: YouMail actually does display the NAME of the caller. I hadn't noticed it before, but yes any call that goes to YouMail displays the full name of the caller (if available, naturally).

This goes to show you that VZW doesn't really have any control over what's transmitted or received in the caller ID. Each device, whether it be a cell phone, caller ID box, or voicemail account handles that caller ID information differently. This is why your caller ID experience can be different across multiple platforms.

YouMail is an awesome way to get visual voicemail, I love it. Soooo much better than paying VZW $2.99/month for their crappy visual voicemail.

0 Likes
EmmKay

I already have and use Youmail -- but that doesn't help when I may want to ANSWER the call!

And -  nmchilman -- I'm confused. 

Sounds like you're saying that the data is there (the name).  So why can YM display it but VZW cannot?

Hell -- if my old "landline" phone company was able to do this, I cannot understand why such a "cutting edge" company as VZW can't. 

0 Likes