Inflated data usage numbers
jcgc50

Wondering if others are running into this and what can be done. We have a data only account using a Novatel 4620 device. We have been using this particular device for close to two years. Since May of this year we hav gone over the data limit three times.

We don't stream audio or video. We don't update apps except on free wifi. I pay close attention to what gets downloaded and file size and use data monitoring software on our devices. I don't allow Windows Updates to download automatically. Computers are only on when in use.

What has really struck me is this. In this current cycle which has not yet ended these two entries show up.

11/03/2014 9:42 AM 1,570.17

11/03/2014 8:24 AM 4,861.06

That is about 6.5 gigs in those two time slots. First, I question whether or not you could down/upload that kind of data in that time frame. Second, I have never downloaded files remotely close to those numbers in a day much less a couple of hours.

Customer services' position is that their numbers don't lie and it must be on my end. They asked if my monitoring software actually lists ip addresses of those visited and it doesn't nor can I find a program that does.

FYI, our device is password protected. Only my wife and I have access.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Inflated data usage numbers
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello jcgc50,

I can provide clarification in this matter. I know how frustrating unexplained data usage can be. Many things can cause a high amount of data to be used in a short time, such as streaming video, OS or app updates to your computer, as well as online backup storage programs. Unfortunately, for privacy reasons, the specific sites or ways the data was accessed is not available.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello jcgc50,

I can provide clarification in this matter. I know how frustrating unexplained data usage can be. Many things can cause a high amount of data to be used in a short time, such as streaming video, OS or app updates to your computer, as well as online backup storage programs. Unfortunately, for privacy reasons, the specific sites or ways the data was accessed is not available.

Thanks,
MichelleH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

You are using a hotpsot. It is VERY easy to sue those numbers on a PC. I've used over 25 GB in a day before easy. Also those time stamps would be the ending not the beginning of use. Or when the data was reported. the 4.8 used by 8:32 could have been used over 6 hours for all you know. The 1.57 GB used over 1 hour and 18 minutes is very possible. What Windows OS are you using? Also you could have a a virus or malware. Verizon is not magically adding data.

0 Likes
terriblecs
Enthusiast - Level 1

Phantom data usage appears to be a long custom with Verizon. After spiking to 75% of our allowed usage after only 11 days of the new cycle I got to looking at our bills and low and behold every 6 hours there is usage. There is additional usage in between as well which is all fine and dandy and legit. The usage at 6:40 am for almost 4Gs is not legit. Then again at 6:40 pm for another 2Gs is also not legit. I decided to go back and see how far this has been occuring as there was another time when we went over and couldn't figure out how. For at least the last 3 months we have had this phantom data usage. Please do not give me the video streaming, updates, etc. Most of us are not computer illiterate and understand how usage works. For 2 years now that we have lived where we currently do about 1G a day is what we use, usually less but at the high end it's 1G. There was a class action lawsuit back in 2012 that was settled for almost this exact issue. We have been VZ customers for longer than I care to remember but I will be calling AT&T tomorrow to see about getting on DSL. I will gladly pay to get out of the rest of our 6 month contract for these 2 lines and then our additional 4 lines we have for cellular. It is bad enough that VZ charges an arm and a leg for what others are offering at unlimited usage but then to have VZ steal the data and then charge us for it is outrageous.

One p'd off customer

Not applicable

I've never had any phantom data appear we have 5 lines. Explain that?

0 Likes
eyerishangel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same exact thing is happening with my daughter's Iphone. We started out with 2gb share plan. Her phone was gobbling up most of the data. We never exceeded the plan but it was close. We bumped it up to 3gb. Same thing. Same usage pattern but now it's gobbling up close to 3gb. We are currently up to 5gb on our plan and with the same usage pattern, being very diligent as to when we turn on cellular and primarily staying on wifi it's gobbling up close to 5gb. NOBODY in support can give me a straight answer. I home school her and between the hours of when we wake up in the a.m. to about 5pm I can guarantee that she is strictly on wifi yet support tells me she's using data. She swears that she is not. I get conflicting answers as to how sending picture mail should work because that's when she has to turn on cellular. Otherwise, she can't send picture mail. Then it's turned off promptly. They tell us that video is her primary offender yet she views video when she's on the wifi. So, how can cellular be off, wifi on and connected, watch video and our data usage gets whacked???? I am on my phone using the internet far more than she is yet she surpasses my data usage. None of it makes sense and I get a different explanation each time I call. This has been going on for months and months and months. It's to the point where I'm going to switch providers.

Rick37

Just wondering if any of your phones are iPhones. I had a similar issue not with a Verizon Broadband router but with just an iPhone gobbling up 5Gigs one month, next month 8Gigs, next month 12Gigs.  The iPhone as set to backup everything to the iCloud.  Yikes!!!

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes