Re: Insane data overage, excessive unexplained usage
BLPerez
Enthusiast - Level 1

They won't resolve anything. I am having the same issues. I've spent nearly 6 hours on the phone this past week. I have my background data off... auto sync off.. hell I even turn my data off. I have SEVENTEEN gig of data. I'm not running NASA from my phone, I use it for email and FB. Dont stream music or videos. "Must be your phone" they say. Nope. I thought so and got a new one... same issue. "Must be your computer" (onebrepbsuggested I call GeekSquad. At $120 an hr I told her quit smoking crack). Nope. Had it checked at an Apple store. Verizon is running some kind of scam and their reps are fully aware of the issue. I had 8gb and kept coming in just under so In went to 10gb. Then again, kept getting "you've used 90% of your allowance" and I went to 12, then 15 now 17gb. I USE IT TO CHECK EMAIL AND USE THE BROWSER!!!  I am looking into any form of taking legal action, this is theft, period. If I find recourse, I'll post info here. And Verizon? Don't even THINK of commenting and giving me any "I understand your concern and can certainly sympathize with your frustration" garbage. I'm tired of the run around, so dont waste your breath (or fingers as the case may be). Watch, some rep will comment on my post because they don't know how to read and actually comprehend. Verizon is fully aware they are ripping us off and they simply DO NOT CARE.

BLPerez
Enthusiast - Level 1

Someone said earlier that lawsuits aren't an option. How nice for Verizon. There are plenty of bloggers out there with tens of thousands of readers; some have millions. Get on any of the social media sites and start asking for bloggers looking for stories and we can get the word out. There is power in banding together, we don't HAVE to take this. I am a professional comedian on the road filming an ongoing documentary series online called "Project Highway" BELIEVE I will be bringing this up and getting the word out! I will be putting it on my FB pages both personal and the documentary one as well as my fan page. I'm going to include info about Verizon in the "Signature" portion of all my emails both personal and business. If enough people stand up to them, their policy will change. Look what has happened to McDonalds since people started putting out info on their food practices! McDonalds is feeling it in their bottom line and are now changing the very things people were complaining about. I'm also taking a screen shot of this post in case Verizon takes it down, and then I'll bring THAT up too.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

BLPerez wrote:

Someone said earlier that lawsuits aren't an option.

While I don't believe this is the case, IF they did they would be WRONG. Lawsuits are an option. Go right ahead.

Possibly what you meant to say was that "class action" lawsuits aren't an option which WOULD be correct. Not all lawsuits are "class action" though. Simply because a "class action" lawsuit is not an option does not rule out anyone from bringing a lawsuit against Verizon.

Go for it, if you have a solid case you will probably win.Smiley Happy

azdeb2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having the problem with sudden excessive data usage. This happened to me once before on September 9, 2013. I typically used 1 or 2 GB of my (at the time) 5 GB data plan and suddenly one morning I got a text about exceeding my data limit. On 9/9/2013 at 11:49am my device reported 4.466 GB of use all at once. I thought I'd been hacked, so I immediately called Verizon and through trouble shooting in tech support, they determined that my Jetpack 4600 had malfunctioned and was not reporting correctly. They replaced my device and the problem went away and I didn't see it again until this week. I have no way of knowing weather my device had been misreporting or if Verizon had some sort of date leak / security issue going on with the old device, since the replacement device was a complete change.  Last month, my current jetpack, Jetpack® 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot 890L starting reporting more data than I normally used. At first I thought it was real usage and increased my plan from 8GB to 15GB for the month instead of incurring the overage charges. The plan was set back to 10GB starting the next cycle June 2015. This month within 3 days of the new cycle.starting, I started getting useage update texts saying I had used 30% of my data. Then Monday morning 6/8/2015 at 12:23pm I got a text saying I'd used about 50% of my 10GB Plan. at 2:59PM, I got another text saying I'd used about 75% of my 10GB plan. At 3:34PM I got another text saying I'd used about 90% of my 10GB plan.At 3:58 PM, new text telling me the overage would be billed at $15/GB. at 4:16pm, new text from Verizon saying I've used nearly all of my 1st extra data allowance.At 4:39 PM new text saying I'd used nearly all of my 2nd data overage allowance. New text at 5:02pm saying I'd used nearly all of my 3rd data allowance. At 5:25pm, new text saying  I'd used nearly all of my 4th allowance. Prior to this at about 3:30PM I was on my second call to Verizon support. Earlier in the morning, I'd called but at that time, I thought the usage was real. By the afternoon, it was starting to look like a recurrence of what had happened in 2013, expecially since some of the high earlier useage (over 1GB at a time) had occurred when the only device connected was the printer and all computers were off. The Verizon support person told me that they could walk through some trouble shooting steps with me but I would have to be in the same place as the Jetpack. My husband was using it at a different location. The Verizon support person texted me a phone number to call for tech support when I had the Jetpack with me. VZ Tech support also asked if I'd tried resetting the device by turning if off and removing the battery and then turning it on again after replacing the battery. I had not done that. At about 5:30pm I arrived at the building where my husband was using the jetpack. At the time I checked the devices logged in and recognized them - his windows 7 computer and an HP printer. I called the Verizon tech support number from my Galaxy Note 3 also on the verizon network, but after talking for about 9 minutes with person who put me on hold for a few minutes to go research the issue, my call was dropped. I called back and had to start over with a new person, who asked me some questions, but did nothing regarding trouble shooting the device. He basically insisted I was somehow using the data.  He said there were no troubleshooting steps to perform with the device. I then asked for a supervisor and he said he would get one and before the supervisor could come on line, my call was dropped again. This time the supervisor did call me back and reiterated that I was somehow using all that data even though none of the devices connected were doing anything different than when we were seeing normal usage. I asked for his supervisor and was told that his supervisor would call me back since by then it was after 6:30pm and no one was available. It's now 6/9/2015 at 9:14am and no one has called me back. I decided to try resetting the device per the earlier tech support suggestion and removed the battery and then replaced it and turned the device back on. I left the device on overnight and didn't get any new reports of excessive data use, but my husband just took the device back to his work building at about 9:04pm. At 9:39am, I got a new Verizon text saying I'd used nearly all of my 5th allowance, but since there was less than 100gb left, that may be norrnal use. I will have to wait and see if I get more messages saying that I've nearly exceeded my 6th 1GB data overage allowance or if the reset of the device helped.  Yesterday I was only able to see detailed usage up to 8am in the morning. This morning, I can see the detailed usage for yesterday and it shows that at 2:09PM, the device reported 8.887 GB of data use.No one was streaming video or music or uploading or downloading large attachments. My husband and my brother have been using the Jetpack connection. They were doing the same things they typically did -- light usage like web browsing, email, and the same applications they used every day since 5/5/2015. The entry below is my sudden spike from 9/13/2013.It will be interesting to see if  I too have to move to AT&T. I do not believe that I am suddenly going from well under 1 GB per day on a typical day to over 10.54GB, 1.6GB of which were reported at 8:09 AM on 6/8/2015 when no computers were turned on and only the idle HP printer was connected.

9/9/201311:49 AMMBB 5GB46832404573.48

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Can you summarize that wall of text? Long entries of text with no paragraphs are extremely hard to follow and will limit your responses.

tl;dr - My Jetpack is using lots of data and it can't be real data use.

Updates on computers can use 4 GB in less than 30 minutes. Do you have automatic updates turned on on all your computers? That is the usual source of big spikes. There was another recent post on here where the poster measured the updates and they were multiple updates each with multiple gigabytes.

azdeb2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correction to my narrative above - my husband returned to his work building at 9:04am this morning 6/9/2015 - the 9:04pm above was a typo. It's probably obvious from the context,  but could be confusing so I'm correcting it here. So now excess data usage over night when the Jetpack was not in the building where it reported the 10.54GB of use yesterday. It's just 9:57am on June 9, 2015 and no new overage reports since the 9:29am report which said I've used nearly all of my 5th extra data allowance. I am still waiting for the call back from Verizon that was promised yesterday at about 6:30 pm.

0 Likes
azdeb2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I do not have automatic updates turned on.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

What was the device connected to while at the work building from 9:04 AM until 9:39 AM. How are you sure everybody connecting to this jetpack has automatic updates turned off? They are on by default unless you specifically go in and turn them off.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Why are you leaving it on all the time?

0 Likes
azdeb2001
Enthusiast - Level 2

The HP printer was connected and my husband's Windows 7 computer was connected. We turned on his computer at our home network before he took it to his work location this morning and made sure automatic updates were off. Also, by turning it on at the home network, if it was going to update first thing, it would have done it at home on our Cox network connection. It didn't perform any updates. There were no other computers on this morning. The Jetpack showed the one Windows 7 computer and the HP printer as the only connected devices. I have reformatted my run-on response into separate paragraphs with bullet points and it reads much better now. Happy to provide it if that would help.

0 Likes