Re: Insane data overage, excessive unexplained usage
katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

I do not like the phrase, “what makes you think the usage is inaccurate.” I do not “think” it is inaccurate. I know that it is inaccurate. The language in this email is dismissive at best and does not reflect well on the company’s reputation. We have already given all the information you have requested to both Customer Service and to Tech Support—several times now. It is annoying to be asked to repeat it in this superficial manner. This latest serious of questions looks very much like one more smoke screen. I would seriously suggest that Verizon get in touch with the Amazon folk and learn how to manage customers having difficulties with your services.

There are some serious glitches in some of the Verizon wifi hotspot devices and some serious questions regarding the system equipment supporting them. At this point, it has become somewhat potentially damaging financially to use the Verizon hotspots. This has been fairly well verified and it is something more people need to know before they choose a Verizon hotspot. Our difficulty is not unique to us. Complaints of this nature have been recorded for several years. Most with no reasonable solution. It is time for Verizon to acknowledge that such issues do exist and to deal honestly with them.

Our first discussion with Verizon Customer Support was totally unsatisfactory. In our first discussion with Verizon Tech Support, we had not yet researched the problem on the internet and elsewhere. In that discussion, tech support refused to admit that it was possible for a hacker to access our account or that there was any problem with the device itself. That discussion was sincerely non-productive. We learned later, however, that both were very possible. By the time we called a second time—waiting an inordinate time on hold in each occasion—we had enough information regarding the history of problems of this nature along with similar glitches affecting Verizon equipment, programming, and policies that we were able to make a bit more progress. e have now determined that the problem is most likely not one of a hacker using the account but rather faulty equipment. We are testing that out now.

Meantime, we are contacting the appropriate agencies and legislators to add our experiences to those of these others who have had similar difficulties with Verizon as well as trying to determine how we will deal with this 2 year contract if the issue is not quickly remedied. The problem itself is bad enough. It is the response from Verizon has sent it over the top.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely appreciate your additional response today katericks! Please keep in mind that this forum is a separate method of support from our phone customer service and technical support teams. In order to fully understand your issue we would be happy to review your wireless account. In order to proceed please follow me MatthewS_VZW and then DM me directly with your mobile number or account number. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

MatthewS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
mimi4lowe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have asked for help from Verizon and received absolutely no response.  I am up to 20 GB per month because of the iphone 5!

katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you are on Facebook, here is something that might help. I’ve done it but my iPhone is on AT&T and I haven’t really had a data problem with it. Our problem is with the Verizon WI-Fi. Seems as if Verizon is raking in big bucks from overages of all sorts!

fall_gurl75
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having this exact same issue. I started with 2 GB realized very quickly although it was just 2 phones and almost constant WiFi use, we were always going over before the month was up. I increased data to 4 GB again no change in circumstances, nor devices and again started going over almost immediately. I refuse to increase my allowance again although my bill now claims we are using over 8 GB and we are only two weeks into our billing period. I decided after the first 8-9 months into my service with Verizon, that I would not be renewing my contract when the time comes. I am happy to say October 1st is right around the corner, and my misery is over and I will no longer be working solely to pay my cell bill!!!! RIDICULOUS!!!!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

fall_gurl75, we wouldn't want to lose you as a customer with us. Unexpected data usage can be quite alarming. What make & model phone do you currently have? What type of functions do you use on the device and how many lines are sharing the data? Our data calculator will give you an estimate of how much data is consumed per function: http://vz.to/1mpQFzg

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have given that information repeatedly to the Verizon support staff. In fact, we were promised a call-back to check on this that has yet to come. This is not our job, it is yours. We are keeping a daily record of our usage already. It is not estimates of data usage that we need or that will fix this problem. Instead of repeatedly asking us to provide additional information, please spend your time fixing the Verizon tracking system. It is broken and Verizon is raking in considerable $$$$ that it is not entitled to through faulty devices and a faulty central tracking system.

Kate

0 Likes
darkbird
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am going through the same thing with a iPhone 5 on my account. 2 times a rep was supposed to call me back and did not. I have been a Verizon customer for many years and never had an issue until recent months. There has been no change in out usage of the phones but now I have to upgrade my data plan several times a month. This is a huge issue and they seem to not care about resolving the issue.  I am seriously considering canceling my account and going with another carrier.

0 Likes
katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

We began having billing problems that had circular explanations in addition to the excessive data overages. No satisfaction whatsoever from Verizon. Today, we are free. Switched to T-Mobile. They will pay the fee for breaking the contract. Let’s see if this message gets posted.

0 Likes
emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since my initial post, I too have switched to T-Mobile for the sole reason

that my VZW bill has nearly doubled since I joined them in February. I

tried every way I knew how to get assistance or merely an acknowledgment

that something was severely wrong with the data billing/overages. I

continued to received the canned responses.

I now with T-Mobile. My bill is half that of VZW and I added another

line! I am halfway through my billing cycle and we haven't touched our

data allowances. This us further proof that VZW was doing something very

wrong. With TM I m immediately back to my normal days usage/billing.

Imagine that!!! I should also add that I took my exact same phones to TM.

So they can't blame it on the iphone anymore....

My T-Mobile coverage is better than VZW. My calls are crystal clear, and no

weird "network beeps" during calls. Just straightforward, reliable, fairly

priced service.

I tried to get a little respect from VZW, but all I got was the "turn off

your cellular data and dumb down your phone" song and dance.

I told them I was going to leave if I didn't get resolution. I'm gone, with

all $1200 of my termination fees paid by a respectable company such as TM.

I'll join any class action suit I'm eligible to join. I got tired of being

treated like a clueless 4-year-old.