Is anyone else having extremely slow 4G LTE/JetPack Speeds?
warriormedic
Enthusiast - Level 2

For about four days now my JetPack has been steadily slowing down to about 0.30 Mbps download speeds.  I am in the zip code area 37203, right in the middle of downtown Nashville, TN.  A co-worker is also experiencing the same issue with a different JetPack.

The issue is supposedly being "investigated" by tech support, but there are no apparent known issues with the network.

This speed is slower than the 3G service I get with my AT&T phone.  Is this a common problem?  Why am I paying for non-existent services?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is anyone else having extremely slow 4G LTE/JetPack Speeds?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which Jetpack model?  Have you checked the or the various Jetpack spaces or to see if anyone had a similar issue?  Also the few users like with extensive knowledge of those devices tend to stick that area of the community and don't often wander to other areas unless they are mentioned like I just did here.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
warriormedic
Enthusiast - Level 2

My device is the 890L.  I am fairly certain the problem is a bandwidth issue within the network, and not the device.  Friday evening I experienced an average download speed of 0.75 Mbps down and 0.2 Mbps up in the 37043 zip code area as well.  On Saturday morning in the same area the speeds went to 13 Mbps down and 1.02 Mbps up.  This morning in the 37203 area I just tracked 12.05 Mbps down and 1.09 up.  If the trend continues, this afternoon sometime my speeds will lag to the point of being useless once again. It seems that when the traffic gets heavy during the day, the bandwidth configured in my area is not capable of keeping up.  Very disappointing that I have not received word yet from the ticket # I filed with tech support.

warriormedic
Enthusiast - Level 2

How interesting, but not surprising that Tech support's answer is that I am in a "marginal coverage area"; incorrectly using my home address to base this on instead of the area in which I use the Verizon services.  As I explicitly stated to the Customer Service rep last week, I am in the middle of downtown Nashville, TN and the 4-bar Verizon 4G LTE download speeds of 0.3 Mbps are slower than the 3G service I get from my AT&T iPhone.  Were it not for the fact that I had reasonably good Verizon service until a week ago, I would be looking at cancelling this service altogether right now.

Very disappointing to say the least.  The ticket has be re-opened with the correct usage area.  I sincerely hope my bill is adjusted to reflect the lack of service.  If this is what I can expect from now on, I will do whatever is necessary to terminate my relationship with Verizon.

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I have been summoned from the depths of the Broadband area!

Looks like a performance problem of your device in downtown Nashville.  Performance problems are normally temporary and can normally be resolved by performing the various resets on a Jetpack.  For example, power cycling the device, reseating the SIM card and finally performing a factory reset by pressing the reset button under the back cover.

The next time you experience the slowdown, take a moment to run off the various resets and see if they have any impact on the problem.  If not then your device is faulty and should be replaced under the warranty.  A place like Nashville with 4G should never be near the numbers you have posted here.

warriormedic
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

I have performed all the various resets to no avail.  There is another 890L in the building with me experiencing the same issue.  Early in the morning on weekdays, the speeds are at tolerable levels (between 2-10 Mbps), and as the day wears on they degrade to less than dial-up speeds.  Yesterday I was told they used the Clarksville area for the trouble ticket, which is in fact a "marginal coverage area", and was reassured they would open a new ticket within the Nashville area.  Just spoke with Tech Support again a few moments ago, and received the same answer about the ticket being closed because I am in a "marginal coverage area", no new trouble ticket, nothing new to tell me.  The new Tech Support rep is in Florida and doesn't know anything other than what is in her notes, so has promised to reopen the ticket.  I was told I may cancel my service with no contract penalty of course, but can't expect any kind of reimbursement for the terrible service I paid for but haven't been getting.  It seems to me that the network is lagging during the day because of Bandwidth limitations, but I suppose both JetPacks could be malfunctioning.

Customer Service - FAIL

Network Reliability - FAIL

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Its unlikely that two separate 890's are experiencing the same problems.  I'd put my money on a service problem in that particular area instead.

You mentioned that you are in a building, could it be that the building is using boosters to provide its users 3G/4G LTE service?  If so there are not very many commercial options to boost a 4G LTE signal indoors at this time.  Although a booster may broadcast a 4G LTE signal, it is most likely unable to perform the full duties that a normal LTE tower can and bogs down as more users come online and demand service from it.  You would have to check with the building supervisor or infrastructure team to know for sure if that is the case or you are recieving the raw signal from the towers outside.

One thing that we often suggest to folks with a service problem is to perform a Site Survey.  Site Surveys walk you through testing the connection in various areas to identify where the deadspots or poor performance areas are.  Sometimes a slight adjustment in your location can make all the difference.  Performa Site Survey: http://3gstore.com/page/13_will_an_antenna_help_me.html

Otherwise if you are at the end of your troubleshooting limit then I suggest taking up Verizon on their offer.  Getting out of the plan without a Early Term Fee is a better deal then most are offered. 

0 Likes
warriormedic
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

Thanks for your replies.  I concur that it is most likely a service problem.  I'm in the problematic area now, getting 10 Mbps download speed.  The building uses no boosters, the service simply bottoms out during the busiest part of the day.  I am inclined to believe that my service is throttled somehow during peak usage because it is a personal account.  Verizon provides 4G LTE internet service to a great number of mobile businesses in this city, and there does not seem to be a problem in this area in general.  I am just highly frustrated that the answer to this problem from Tech Support and Customer Service amounts to "oh that's terrible, we won't ask you to pay for services we failed to provide".  I don't consider it a better deal or an offer of any kind as I am neither accustomed to nor inclined to pay for something I don't receive.  I had reliable internet access for almost 6 months and if I must go to the trouble of seeking other service providers, I would think an explanation of some type is in order, that's all.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

VZW is not picking on you because you have an personal account or any particular device.  VZW has posted policies on throttling/optimization and 4G LTE devices are excluded from both.  Only unlimited 3G users apply to those areas. 

Sometimes these problems cannot be explained.  There are many factors that come into play that are simply not worth anyones time to investigate and determine exactly what is causing the behavior.  Wireless connection issues are invisible, we cannot always trace them back to a specific event or sources.  All you can do is report it and work with the options you are given at the time.

You have confirmed that VZW is unable to perform in your troubled location for two seperate 890L's.  That should be all the confirmation that you need that the VZW service simply cannot consistently meet your standards for that enviornment.  Its up to you to decide if the device provides enough value for you in other locations and if you want to stick around or not.

0 Likes
warriormedic
Enthusiast - Level 2

John,

Thank you again for your frank comments, as well as delineating my obvious choices concerning VZW.  I don't feel "picked on", just also stating the obvious.  Regardless of posted policy, one of the "invisible issues" with wireless internet is the ability to prioritize bandwidth based on subscriber identity. I have some technology troubleshooting experience; colleagues with identical devices using personal accounts and those using Corporate accounts having such a disparate level of performance in the same area during peak hours simply raises an unmistakeable flag. 

Thanks again.

0 Likes