Is the Verizon Switch Program a SCAM?
VerizonSwitchScam
Enthusiast - Level 1

BEWARE!! ---- If you plan to use the Verizon Switch program, there are a few things you should know FIRST.

1. ETF fees are not 100% refunded (Verizon will not cover any "additional cancellation fees" from your current carrier to transfer).

1. You MUST trade the device related to the ETF fees, typically a smart phone; Adroid or iPhone.

1. The Device credit is subtracted from your ETF Gift card amount. Example: ETF is $105 and your trade in is $100 you only get $5 back. Even though you paid $650 for that phone and you paid the $105 ETF ($755 out of pocket to switch and Verizon gave you $5).

1. The process to receive a credit  takes over 8 weeks. Phones get lost in receiving and this delays all refunds / credits.

1. Verizon's Customer Service agents (toll free number) will tell you what you want to hear, even if it is incorrect. For example if you pose the question: "will I recieve the phone credit and the ETF credit gift card?" they just say "yes". But they never tell you that you DO NOT get all of both back. You only get the ETF credit minus the other (See bullet #3).

Seem confusing or at least a little underhanded? This has been my experience so far with Verizon's switch program and it smells a bit like smoke and mirrors. When I contacted customer service they told me they would not honor what their agent told me. That’s one way of saying they don't care........ If customer service doesn't care to help me resolve this, then who will?

In an effort to have this resolved and warn others of these misleading practices, I am posting here.

However, if I recieve no reasonable or timely response from Verizon Management, I will be forced to package this matter up neatly and deliver my complaint to a higher authority via the BBB and FCC.

-VZW managemnt, I can be contacted via the email attached to my profile.

Labels (1)
Re: Is the Verizon Switch Program a SCAM?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

All of the terms are laid out here https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/Landing%20Pages/Switch%20and%20Save/ETF-Buyout-Terms-...

The FAQs here Verizon Wireless: ETF

Plus on the this page Verizon Wireless: ETF it says

More information.

Eligibility requirements

Remember, the amount you received for your trade-in will be subtracted from your final payout amount. Examples.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, those terms are clearly laid out in the offer, which is VERY similar to the terms offered by other carriers for switching to them.

I have pointed out on this forum MANY times when people claim NEW customers are getting a "great" deal for switching when in fact they ARE NOT. AT BEST they break even. I don't consider that such a "great" deal.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

New customer get scammed. "Loyal" customers get scammed. Everyone gets scammed.

Wait.....sorry....

Read the terms of the deal before entering into the contract and assuming that you're getting something only to find that you're not. Then you won't feel like you're getting scammed.

I have said this over and over again. We have been dealing with contract for a long time. I don't understand why people still don't read them. We can no longer claim ignorance. Lawyers made sure of that. The contracts state everything up front and your signature accepts that. It's only your fault if you don't read it.

I could see if this information was hidden but it took me less time to find it than it did for me to compose my last response.

Sorry, rcschnoor. This is not directed towards you. I hit the wrong reply button and didn't feel like changing it.

0 Likes
LOVELIFE16
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to group complaints together to make more impact.  I have been submitting/resubmitting information to receive even that basics promised according to the Rules. I believe it is a scam as well.  I am out at least $1100.