Is there a plan for text messaging in mexico back to US phone numbers?
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

Live in OH.  I have the family everything and more plan with S5.   We are going on vacation for week in November  I understand I can add the "mexico" feature to this plan for 1000 minutes at $15.

However, is there any similar plan for text messages?  I want to avoid paying .50 for each one sent.

Please clarify.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is there a plan for text messaging in mexico back to US phone numbers?
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

While in Mexico, is there a way to see how many of these 1,000 minutes are being used?

Please help.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

How exciting! We can definitely help clarify your plan options for your trip, atomarchio1. It sounds like you may be referring to our More Everything plan plus Canada & Mexico (a $15 difference from the More Everything http://vz.to/1fgowCn family share plans). This helps to cover calls & text from the US as well as calls while in Mexico, but does not include a text package while actually traveling in Mexico. Text while in Mexico are $0.50 per message sent (per recipient) and $0.05 per message received and there is no package available at this time. For more information about rates while traveling outside the U.S., visit www.vzw.com/global.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

So by adding the "mexico" plan I can make phone calls only while in Mexico back to the US.  Is that correct?

How can I disable the text messaging while in mexico in order to avoid incurring these text related charges while still using my phone in mexico for voice calls?

Please clarify.  Thanks.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

Have the account owner log in to My Verizon, then Manage My Device, then Block Services. There you can block all text messages.

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

Can I check voicemails on the S5 while in Mexico without using the visual voicemail which I would guess would use data? 

I plan to have "mobile data" turned off while in Mexico.

If so, how?

Please let me know.  Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for asking about your service options while roaming in Mexico, atomarchio1. Checking voicemail means that you are making a call to the voicemail provider. Therefore, that call will bill at the same rate as most other calls (roaming rates apply). If you do plan to check your voicemail, you'll need to call your own number as if you were calling any other number back in the United States. The dial pattern would be to dial 00, then 1, and then the ten digit number. You would not want to dial *86 or press/hold the 1 key on the keypad of your Galaxy S 5.

To mitigate the cost of roaming, I recommend reviewing your plan options for the trip. This link http://vz.to/17KseUf includes an "Interactive Trip Planner" that will provide you with options. Let us know if you're interested!

You would not need or be able to use Visual Voicemail while roaming. Have a great time!

0 Likes
atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

But if purchase the mexico package for an extra $15,  I would not incur roaming charges for voice calls, correct?

Please clarify.  Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for asking! You would get a 1,000 minute voice  allowance for calls while on Mexico plan.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

atomarchio1
Contributor - Level 1

While in Mexico, is there a way to see how many of these 1,000 minutes are being used?

Please help.  Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

atomarchio1, I know it's important to ensure you do not exceed the 1000 minute allowance while in Mexico. You can keep track of your usage by logging into your My Verizon account. The usage will be separate from your normal voice plan, but will show the allowance as soon as we receive it from the carrier whose towers you will be roaming on. Please keep in mind, that you are only provided the full 1000 minute allowance if you have the Plus Mexico feature active for the entire bill cycle. If you only activate it for a portion of the month, the charge and allowance will be prorated.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes