Keeping grandfathered unlimited data question
KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey all. I'm currently on a family share plan 2000 I believe it's called with 2 other people I still have my legacy unlimited data plan, well the other 2 are leaving and getting their own plan. has anyone been able to switch plans and keep the old unlimited data plan? I keep getting different answers ranging from I'd have to solo the family plan and pay 200+ a month to being able to change to something called a unlimited talk text share plan for 50$ plus my data price so about 100$ total. Thanks for the advice!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Keeping grandfathered unlimited data question
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@KParks24 wrote:

Hey all. I'm currently on a family share plan 2000 I believe it's called with 2 other people I still have my legacy unlimited data plan, well the other 2 are leaving and getting their own plan. has anyone been able to switch plans and keep the old unlimited data plan? I keep getting different answers ranging from I'd have to solo the family plan and pay 200+ a month to being able to change to something called a unlimited talk text share plan for 50$ plus my data price so about 100$ total. Thanks for the advice!

If you are the primary account holder, I would move my phone line (the one with the legacy unlimited data plan) to a sub account by its own. I wouldn't trust those two other lines to port out and then let the Verizon system automatically change your plan. Currently your account has a shared plan and you need to get a standalone plan for 1 line. DO NOT DO anything online as it will prompt you to change your plan to a newer "unlimited" plan. Contact a customer service representative by calling 1-800-922-0204 or by dialing *611 from your verizon wireless cell phone. Inform them that you are switching from a shared 2000 plan to a standalone plan by yourself. The current standalone minute plans are:

73436 Nationwide Voice Individual 450 Minutes/$39.99

73442 Nationwide Voice & Messaging 450 Minutes/$59.99

73571 Nationwide 300 - single line 300 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekends, no mobile to mobile/$34.99

89736 Nationwide Unlimited Talk Text with gUDP to Feature Code - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month

Not sure if the 73442 Nationwide Voice & Messaging 450 Minutes/$59.99 code still works as that plan has been retired from the Verizon system a long time ago. I also don't have the 700 or 900 minute codes and I think those minute plans are for 2 or more lines on an account.

If I was you, I would put my standalone line on code 89736, 30 minute Loyalty plan for $15/month. This plan will require you to be put on a 1 year contract. Buy a 4G LTE jetpack and put your sim card inside that jetpack and use your Verizon Messages app to make calls with your verizon number and send text messages. A neat trick I found out is that all calls you make and receive using the Verizon Messages app will NOT count against your limit, so essentially you will have "unlimited" minutes. Don't give Verizon the satisfaction it wants by eliminating your grandfathered unlimited data and let's stick to it to them for making those lame plans and trying to get us with true unlimited data to use them also.

Good luck 

View solution in original post

Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@KParks24 wrote:

If you are the primary account holder, I would move my phone line (the one with the legacy unlimited data plan) to a sub account by its own. I wouldn't trust those two other lines to port out and then let the Verizon system automatically change your plan. Currently your account has a shared plan and you need to get a standalone plan for 1 line. DO NOT DO anything online as it will prompt you to change your plan to a newer "unlimited" plan. Contact a customer service representative by calling 1-800-922-0204 or by dialing *611 from your verizon wireless cell phone. Inform them that you are switching from a shared 2000 plan to a standalone plan by yourself. The current standalone minute plans are:

73436 Nationwide Voice Individual 450 Minutes/$39.99

73442 Nationwide Voice & Messaging 450 Minutes/$59.99

73571 Nationwide 300 - single line 300 anytime minutes, unlimited night and weekends, no mobile to mobile/$34.99

89736 Nationwide Unlimited Talk Text with gUDP to Feature Code - 30 min Loyalty Plan for $15/month

Not sure if the 73442 Nationwide Voice & Messaging 450 Minutes/$59.99 code still works as that plan has been retired from the Verizon system a long time ago. I also don't have the 700 or 900 minute codes and I think those minute plans are for 2 or more lines on an account.

If I was you, I would put my standalone line on code 89736, 30 minute Loyalty plan for $15/month. This plan will require you to be put on a 1 year contract. Buy a 4G LTE jetpack and put your sim card inside that jetpack and use your Verizon Messages app to make calls with your verizon number and send text messages. A neat trick I found out is that all calls you make and receive using the Verizon Messages app will NOT count against your limit, so essentially you will have "unlimited" minutes. Don't give Verizon the satisfaction it wants by eliminating your grandfathered unlimited data and let's stick to it to them for making those lame plans and trying to get us with true unlimited data to use them also.

Good luck 

mama23dogs
Legend

If the plan isn't in your name, you'll be forced off it.  Unless your running your house off your phones hotspot, you won't suffer too much by switching to a current plan 

Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

There are several advantages to doing what I told you. You're bill should be around $65 before any taxes and surcharges for one line. One big plus is that employment discounts work with these grandfathered unlimited data plans (assuming you have an employer who has a contract with Verizon). You don't have to run your internet as a internet service provider as someone else stated. It means your internet will not get deprioritized while other users are using their smartphones. You will be able to watch a YouTube video at 12 p.m. or 5 p.m. and still have good internet speed. By doing what I suggested, you can connect your smartphone, iPad, laptop to the MiFi device and not have to worry about overages on your account since it is truly unlimited. This is what Verizon truly hates and that is why they are actively trying to get people to change their plans to these new "unlimited" data plans. Read other responses on these forums of people being on those other "unlimited" plans not being able to watch videos or use their phones at certain peak hours. Don't be a sucker and be influenced by what other people post on this.

If you are not the account owner, Mami23dogs is correct. You might lose the unlimited data. DO NOT let a verizon representative try to AOL your line as you might lose the unlimited data as Verizon reps have been instructed to not let anyone with the grandfathered unlimited data do an Assumption Of Liability. You might have to play Customer Service Representative roulette until you find a knowledgeable representative that knows their stuff. Not sure if Verizon can just create an account for you to have your own line with a Nationwide Plan if you are not the account owner of your current plan or without.

KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks yall for the responses, yes i am the account holder so sounds like that will work in my favor so im going to vzw in the morning to get the 2nd line off my account that will leave me alone with the family plan.. im going to see if they can get me on one of the plans you mentioned above if not ill try customer support thing. any idea what this unlimited talk text share plan they quoted me was? chat told me that was 50$ for that plan but cant find no info on it. im assuming the numbers before the plans you were telling me about are the codes for the plans correct? very helpful information! ill be there at 10AM est in the morning so any addtitional info try to let me know before then also ill let yall know how things go. thanks again.

KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

I should add one of the reasons were switching plans and they're going to their own plan is because my sister wants to add a LTE apple watch to our account and they're saying they can't add it because of my data plan for some reason idk sounds like some garbage to me lol

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@KParks24 wrote:

Thanks yall for the responses, yes i am the account holder so sounds like that will work in my favor so im going to vzw in the morning to get the 2nd line off my account that will leave me alone with the family plan.. im going to see if they can get me on one of the plans you mentioned above if not ill try customer support thing. any idea what this unlimited talk text share plan they quoted me was? chat told me that was 50$ for that plan but cant find no info on it. im assuming the numbers before the plans you were telling me about are the codes for the plans correct? very helpful information! ill be there at 10AM est in the morning so any addtitional info try to let me know before then also ill let yall know how things go. thanks again.

DO NOT EVER go to a Verizon corporate/authorized store to do a plan change. Those leeches will mess up your grandthered unlimited data. Keep in mind that these leeches are geared to sell you poop you don't need. Call 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your verizon wireless number. Do the plan change with a KNOWLEDGEABLE customer service representative. If you get one who doesn't seem to know what they are doing, hang up and call again until you get a KNOWLEDGEABLE customer service representative. Yes, those are voice minute codes that the customer service representative should know if they will make the plan change to your account. I think that is the Start getting fisted by Verizon "unlimited" data. Don't let yourself get suckered into letting them change you into that plan. They can depreoritize your data at ANY time the local tower is congested. Try seeing a video at lunch time without it buffering on you on that lame plan. Get the 30 minute plan and put your SIM card in a 4g LTE MiFi device. You can make calls and send text messages through Verizon Messages app. Just make sure you keep your MiFi device close to you at all times and your phone's, iPad,  inspector gadget watch will work with the WiFi signal that your MiFi device throws out. Your MiFi device will throw out a stronger signal I believe than a smartphone and all the functions will work except the built in phone and messages app, but you can use Verizon Messages to do that with your regular Verizon wireless number. Ask the customer service representative to change you into whichever minute nationwide plan that you want into a sub-account.

Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@KParks24 wrote:

I should add one of the reasons were switching plans and they're going to their own plan is because my sister wants to add a LTE apple watch to our account and they're saying they can't add it because of my data plan for some reason idk sounds like some garbage to me lol

That might be true as those inspector gadget watches came out after the Nationwide plans were available. I'm guessing the codes for activating those inspector gadget watches are not compatible with the Nationwide plan. If you do that MiFi technique I put on my last post, ALL of your devices will have internet capabilities when you carry your MiFi device. Stick it to Verizon like they stick it to everyone else.

Good luck and post back results.

KParks24
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm going to the store tomorrow to move my sister off my plan so they can put her on my brother in law's plan. My plan should remain unchanged. Then I can call the support line that way everything should also be recorded from the conversation. That portable hotspot thing is a good idea but I'm definitely not the kind of person to carry something like that around I'd rather pay a little more, something like that Nationwide 450 with messaging would be more up my alley even though it cost way more. Not sure I can move her to his plan without us both being present at the store

I believe the plan I had before we went with the family plan was in fact that 450 individual plan not sure if it matters but that was on my account at some point but it was years and years ago.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@KParks24 wrote:

I'm going to the store tomorrow to move my sister off my plan so they can put her on my brother in law's plan. My plan should remain unchanged. Then I can call the support line that way everything should also be recorded from the conversation. That portable hotspot thing is a good idea but I'm definitely not the kind of person to carry something like that around I'd rather pay a little more, something like that Nationwide 450 with messaging would be more up my alley even though it cost way more. Not sure I can move her to his plan without us both being present at the store

Go with the warning that SALES representatives have REMOVED grandfathered unlimited data plans in store. Once they remove the unlimited data plan from your account,  it is hard to get put back on to an account. As long as you know this beforehand. Your plan should remain unchanged, but there have been instances were it was removed. That plan might be really hard to get as it has been retired many years ago. Most likely they will offer you the 450 minute plan and the 1000 messages to anyone plan for $10 or unlimited texting for $20. Mobile hotspot to grandfathered unlimited data plans is an additional $30. Your bill is already creeping up over $100 already.