Re: Keeping grandfathered unlimited data question
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

One of our main goals is to make sure you are in the best plan for your needs. Glad you got to keep the plan you love. Please don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance.

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
ao2000
Enthusiast - Level 1

Maria,

My plan recently changed a few days ago and I seemed to have lost my grandfathered nationwide unlimited data plan. I have called numerous times and each representative stated they were unable to reinstate it with the same pricing. They stated they could reinstate it with an additional $40/mo and I could request a "reimbursement" but I would have to call in each time for the reimbursement, which is naturally a ridiculous, unnecessary hassle.

As a customer of about 20 years now, how can I get in touch with a "knowledgeable" CSR who knows and understands how to handle our grandfathered unlimited data plans?

I have been calling back, speaking with supervisors, etc. It has been an EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING experience talking to CSRs who are completely unfamiliar with our data plans.

Any advice on how we can speak to a knowledgeable rep would be GREATLY appreciated.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@ao2000 wrote:

Maria,

My plan recently changed a few days ago and I seemed to have lost my grandfathered nationwide unlimited data plan. I have called numerous times and each representative stated they were unable to reinstate it with the same pricing. They stated they could reinstate it with an additional $40/mo and I could request a "reimbursement" but I would have to call in each time for the reimbursement, which is naturally a ridiculous, unnecessary hassle.

As a customer of about 20 years now, how can I get in touch with a "knowledgeable" CSR who knows and understands how to handle our grandfathered unlimited data plans?

I have been calling back, speaking with supervisors, etc. It has been an EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING experience talking to CSRs who are completely unfamiliar with our data plans.

Any advice on how we can speak to a knowledgeable rep would be GREATLY appreciated.

ao2000,

Why did your plan change a few days ago? Did you purchase a device? If so, you have 14 days to return that device. When you return that device, make sure your upgrade eligibility is reinstated on that line. At this point, you have to call customer service at 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your verizon wireless cell phone. You can find out a knowledgeable representative if you mention that you have a Nationwide plan and that it got changed. If he/she knows about those plans then it would give an indication that they know about those plans. Tell them to file an Inactive Pricing Request, that is the only department at Verizon that is allowed to reinstate your grandfathered unlimited data plan back to  your plan. Provide the customer service representative the Unlimited Data Plan code which is 73715. The only thing is that you keep calling and make sure you get a representative who knows about those nationwide plans and you can provide them that code and hopefully submit an IPR on time and get your unlimited data back on your plan. 

Hopefully your plan was not changed from a Nationwide plan to one of the new More money out of your pocket plans. That will be another issue on it's own.

Good luck and post back results.

0 Likes
POOLCUETI

I just wanted to add that it is possible to put the grandfathered unlimited data plan as a SEPARATE PLAN on your account.  This is the way that I've had mine for years. This is the only way I can preserve it and be certain that it won't be changed "by accident".  I have had this plan changed "by accident" while trying to add a line and it took me MONTHS and months of talking to Verizon reps , being passed on and on and repeatedly being told that there is nothing else they can do because that plan is no longer active and they cannot change it back.  I got lucky one day after umpteen hours spent on the phone trying to correct the "accident" and found a rep that was willing and fairly confident he COULD fix it and also set my data up so that I wouldn't have any overages because he would automatically bump it up as needed until he got it resolved. It took a few more weeks and a lot of work on his part but I got my grandfathered plan reinstated.  We generally use 100 +Gb monthly so it was important to get it back. I believe I'm stuck with 3G but I'm going to look into it because I'd like to have 4G service although what I have is fast enough to stream movies and music. 

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

PoolCueti said: "I just wanted to add that it is possible to put the grandfathered unlimited data plan as a SEPARATE PLAN on your account.  This is the way that I've had mine for years. This is the only way I can preserve it and be certain that it won't be changed "by accident".  I have had this plan changed "by accident" while trying to add a line and it took me MONTHS and months of talking to Verizon reps , being passed on and on and repeatedly being told that there is nothing else they can do because that plan is no longer active and they cannot change it back.  I got lucky one day after umpteen hours spent on the phone trying to correct the "accident" and found a rep that was willing and fairly confident he COULD fix it and also set my data up so that I wouldn't have any overages because he would automatically bump it up as needed until he got it resolved. It took a few more weeks and a lot of work on his part but I got my grandfathered plan reinstated.  We generally use 100 +Gb monthly so it was important to get it back. I believe I'm stuck with 3G but I'm going to look into it because I'd like to have 4G service although what I have is fast enough to stream movies and music."

Thank you for your post. Are you talking about having a sub-account on top of another account  you have with Verizon? That should work as both accounts can have different types of plans. Yes, you have to be real careful and find a knowledgable representative to help you when you do any change with a nationwide plan as many customer service representatives are not familiar with these older plans. Luckily I have not had to add a line or anything of that nature to prompt a change to my plan and I have been able to hold onto it for a really long time. It is great knowing we can use as much data as we want not worry about being deprioritized or being sent a warning that we went over our data allowance. I'm glad you got your data plan reinstated after it was accidentally taken off your account. The answer here is to always be persistent and do not give up if it was not your fault in removing the feature. Why do you say you are stuck on 3G? You can simply transfer your micro or nano sim card to 4G smart phone and your plan will automatically upgrade to 4G unless you have a 3G mobile broadband device. I believe they had some restriction upgrading to a 4G mobile broadband device such as a MiFi device.

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Benitez147,

I like your attitude and want to follow your advice, but I'm not as technologically savvy as you.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan ($49.99) with Nationwide Talk 900 ($50.99) and $10 unlimited messaging. When I have needed a new phone, I have paid in full, and I have avoided adding my kids to my account bc i don't want the unlimited data taken away. (I actually lost it once when my kids pestered me into calling and adding a hotspot to my line, and fought like heck to get it reinstated.)

My original SE gave up the ghost, and I just received the new 2020 SE today, bought from Apple, not Verizon. I have two questions.

One, how do I proceed from here to activate it? It seems to have a SIM card in it, but I thought I saw something somewhere about putting the old one in it. I have not turned it on yet.

Two, I cannot even articulate why I am holding onto this plan, other than if they want it back so bad, it must be worth it. But I am unable to add my kids, pay for my phones in installments, or use a hotspot, so I'm not really sure if this is smart, and I struggle to follow all the techy stuff in these posts.

Can you, or anyone really, help me out with some advice and answers to these questions? I really want to activate my new phone, but don't want to lose an opportunity!

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, larzwar!

With the information you have provided, you should have no issue with activating the new device you have, if you have a compatible Verizon SIM Card to activate the phone with, which we can send free of charge. AustinL_VZW

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@larzwar wrote:

Benitez147,

I like your attitude and want to follow your advice, but I'm not as technologically savvy as you.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan ($49.99) with Nationwide Talk 900 ($50.99) and $10 unlimited messaging. When I have needed a new phone, I have paid in full, and I have avoided adding my kids to my account bc i don't want the unlimited data taken away. (I actually lost it once when my kids pestered me into calling and adding a hotspot to my line, and fought like heck to get it reinstated.)

My original SE gave up the ghost, and I just received the new 2020 SE today, bought from Apple, not Verizon. I have two questions.

One, how do I proceed from here to activate it? It seems to have a SIM card in it, but I thought I saw something somewhere about putting the old one in it. I have not turned it on yet.

Two, I cannot even articulate why I am holding onto this plan, other than if they want it back so bad, it must be worth it. But I am unable to add my kids, pay for my phones in installments, or use a hotspot, so I'm not really sure if this is smart, and I struggle to follow all the techy stuff in these posts.

Can you, or anyone really, help me out with some advice and answers to these questions? I really want to activate my new phone, but don't want to lose an opportunity!

Thanks

Larzwar, 

Thank you for your support. Yes, I am honest when it comes to grandfathered data plans such as ours. You do want to HOLD onto this data plan as long as you can. You have true UNLIMITED data. You can watch a video on your phone at 12 p.m. or 5 p.m. while many people are on their phones and you will receive the same data speed. These new "unlimited" data plans give you an allowance, once you pass that allowance your line would be subject network congestion where they slow your data to the point where you can't even listen to a song without it buffering.

Before you activate your phone, go into your Verizon account to make sure your unlimited data is still in your account. I'm assuming your old SIM card that was in your original SE is still activated and if it is then yes remove the SIM card that came in your new SE and throw it away. Place your old SIM card in  your new SE and then turn it on and your grandfathered unlimited data should stay in place. You bought an apple phone in their website and it did not prompt you to change your plan before you proceeded to buy your phone? If that is the case, then I learned something new as I have always been scared to buy from a 3rd party as it has always prompted me to change my plan. I always get paranoid and buy my phones from Verizon customer service as they have never removed my unlimited data plan when buying a phone.

You have a lot of minutes 900 ($50.99), why don't you drop down to the 450 minutes ($39.99) code 73436 which includes Verizon to Verizon and unlimited weekend minutes or the 30 minute loyalty plan ($15.00) code 89736 (this plan requires you to commit to a 1 year contract and this plan does not get a company discount on your minute charge due to the cost being below $39.99. If you do choose that $15.00 plan, you can simply buy a jet pack and place your unlimited data SIM card in it and have your phone connected Wi-Fi at all times. You will still be able to send messages and make and receive calls with your original number with the Veriron Messages app. If you make and receive calls with the Verizon Messages app only, you will not use any of your minutes allowance. So essentially you will have unlimited minutes in the form of Wi-Fi calling. Only drawback is if you want to use the iPhone native calling and messages app. You can get your bill down from over $100 to about $80 ($49.99 - data plan, $10 messages plan, $15 30 minute loyalty plan, plus surcharges and fees).

If you also leave your SIM card in a jet pack, you won't have to purchase the $29.99 feature Verizon charges to unlock the check mark to allow mobile hotspot as the Jetpack is the router. You will be able to power your phone, your kids electronics and wife's electronics all at the same time without having to worry about a data overage. Works really good for long drives or camping. Trust me, Verizon wants all of us off this plan as it wants people on those More money out of your pocket plans, but do not give them the satisfaction. Stick it to Verizon and let's make them unhappy by keeping these true unlimited data plans. 

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@larzwar 

First know that some of what @Benitez147  suggests is against the Customer agreement.  Some is incorrect.  
    If you use your phone Sim card in a mobile dedicated hotspot device Verizon would be within his rights to terminate your service entirely.   Since he isn’t risking his service, I think it was irresponsible of him to suggest it.   
     Current plans have a threshold, not a cap..  The ‘Do More’ plan has 50 gigs of premium data.  After you use 50 gigs, you MIGHT experience slow data when towers are congested.  15 gigs can be used to tether/hotspot.  The down side is video quality is reduced.  If you use your phone to watch videos a lot, then these newer plans might not be for you.  If you use 100+ gigs a month, these new plans might not be for you.  

You need to look at how you use your phone service, and what your needs really are, and then make a decision based on your life not what somebody else wants to do with his.

You can compare the price of your existing plan, as well as what you’re paying for the rest of the family, to what it would cost if you were all on one current plan.
     How much data do you use every month, what about your highest month?    How many minutes do you use?    If you are paying for overages for talk and text every month it may mean the plan is less affordable.   
if you purchase a phone that has 5G in the future you will be forced to leave your old plan. At this time neither AT&T or Verizon are allowing 5G access on their legacy plans, and will not allow a 5G phone on those legacy plans.   
       Weigh it all, then read all about the plan.  

Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@larzwar,

Please understand that @mama23dogs has put out some misinformation about nationwide unlimited data in past posts. What I suggested is NOT against the customer agreement as we can use our unlimited data however we choose whether it be a smartphone, iPad or JetPack due to the agreement that was reached after Verizon won the auction for the 700 Mhz C block spectrum. I along with other people have used other devices for years and we still have our plans. Just don't lease your plan to someone else and hopefully you do not live in the boonies where you are roaming. Notice that she tried to sway you into the new Verizon plans right off the bat. Look over some of these post in these threads and mass amount of people complaining that they cannot even stream a video without it buffering due to their data being throttled. Don't get bamboozled and getting rid of your plan and then make you pay more. 

0 Likes