Re: Keeping grandfathered unlimited data question
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

@larzwar wrote:

So there you have it: what JUST happened when I tried to add lines or switch to a plan with fewer minutes. I know you recommended getting someone on the phone, but like I said, I happened to be texting over another minor issue, and I'm a pretty good judge of competence, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. If I pursue it, I will go with trying over the phone. (I remember back in the day when you had to buy airline tickets over the phone, it was always a matter of finding an agent who was willing to play around and try different date and time combinations. I get this game!)

And for the record, you are right, I am definitely not using enough data to be on Verizon's list of people to pursue, and I live in a city too, so I rarely roam.

Now, back to the original matter--I must admit that you lost me on your last posts.  Here are my questions, if you don't mind.

1. You said "you can tether 30 GB or 70 GB if you choose to use that much and not worry about your tethering allowance to stop like these new plans have in their terms."  Are you saying that if I do hook up a mifi device or similar with my phone's sim card in it, I can use it as much as I want? Yes, that is correct. I don't really understand 'tether' as a verb in this context. I think what you are saying is that I won't have a limit, is all. And to be clear, I could pop the SIM card out of the phone, into the device, and back into the phone as I wish, right? Yes, that is correct.

2. I still don't understand about the Nationwide Family plans. Although I struck out today, is the idea that I could switch to one of those plans and share my unlimited data across multiple lines? If so, then why did you say "If you add additional lines to your family plan and you get your kids on the 2GB $30 minute plan with a smartphone..."? Or is it that they would share my minutes, but not my data? This is the part I am not following. (Although I faked it pretty well with the Verizon rep!) That is correct. If you add additional lines to your current plan. You would be a family plan and you would share minutes and text (assuming you are able to get the minutes and text plan), but you do not share data. Each individual line will have to get their own data allowance and  you do not share it with other lines. 

3. Regarding this: "I would try to get the iPhones you bought your kids unlocked (call customer service and see if they can do this process for you) and buy the $15 prepaid AT & T smartphone plan. It costs around $16 after taxes and you will save a lot of money. " You are saying to switch the phones to AT&T altogether? No, just your kids lines. But keep in mind that the AT & T prepaid plan will have to remain an individual line for however many lines you want as this AT & T promotion is set up for individual lines only. Example: if you have 2 kids, you would have to set up 2 different prepaid AT & T accounts with the $15 plan. How much data would they have for $15 bucks--can't be much, right? 2 GB a line. or are you saying to do that and have them connect via the Jetpack? No, I understand you do not want to have a Jetpack with you at all time. Bc that's not going to work since they are usually on their phones a lot not right next to me. Currently, they have iphone 7s and are on Boost Mobile, which is what their dad set them up with. It would just obviously be cheaper if they could leach off my unlimited, but I don't really expect to be able to pull that off. This might pose a challenge if you want to sign up for the AT & T plan. You would have to first have the iPhone 7's unlocked by Boost mobile first. Look over boost unlocking policy and see if your iPhone 7's qualify for unlocking.  

General Eligibility for Unlocking

Boost Mobile will assist with unlocking a device under the following circumstances:

• The device is SIM unlock capable
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked
  • The device has been active on the associated account for at least 12 months
  • The associated account is active and in good standing

If you believe you meet the above requirements and would like to request that your DSU-capable device be unlocked, contact Boost Mobile Customer Care by dialing 1-888-BOOST-4U.

Any clarification on this is appreciated! And I hope you got some good intel from my chat transcript! I'm sure if nothing else, it was fuel for your fire. 🙂 Definitely. It is fun fighting with these posters sometimes. Might as well keep this unlimited data plan while we can keep it as I think the days of us having it will eventually come to an end when 4G is retired.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

AT&T’s $15  2 gig plan is TEMPORARY.  That is how AT&T advertised the package when they introduced it back in the beginning of April.  The expiration date on the offer is May 13.
        The expectation is that this plan will no longer be available to existing customers on that plan within the next couple of months. (No grandfathering!)

AT&T and T-Mobile offered a $15 plan as a stopgap for their prepaid customers who could not afford to keep service active during the coronavirus pandemic.   There is no way of knowing whether that plan will be offered for one month, or might be offered for two or three more months. After that anyone still with AT&T would be forced to choose a higher priced package.

0 Likes
NewOldcustomer
Contributor - Level 2

At&t $15 plan goes away in 11 days, and is described here:  https://about.att.com/newsroom/2020/covid_19_att_prepaid.html 

There is also a $300 1 year plan.  You better make sure at&t works before you buy as they dont refund.  At&t customer service is a fudging nightmare.  Dont wade in unless your capable of handling stuff on your own.

0 Likes
larzwar
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I looked into the AT&T plan and saw it was for a limited time only. My kids will blow through 2GB anyway. And I couldn't agree more about AT&T. I had Cingular years ago before it became AT&T and was so scarred by that experience, I literally vowed I would never have an AT&T cell phone. As it is, I ended up having to deal with them for DirecTV and home internet, and I DESPISE them. 

Appreciate everyone's input.

0 Likes
Benitez147
Contributor - Level 1

Okay then. It was a suggestion as a starter plan for a child. The keyword here is PREPAID. If At& t pulls some funny business with billing, then I simply walk away. There is no committment with prepaid. I'm not too happy about having a child line with them, but at $16 a month it's not much of a risk. I also got a $75 referral credit and bought $120 worth of at & t prepaid refill cards for $45. So I'll be paying very little for my child's line for over a year. People on At & t prepaid community board state they have grandfathered prepaid plans they've had for years. The TMoBlow $15 is 2 GB also while also being that price for at least 5 years and also offer access to 5G and they add 500 MB each year you keep the plan, but it is a hard stop once you reach your 2 GB allowance. Another thing is that they're known as TMoBlow for a reason. But for $15 a month, many people will sign up for these cheap plans. We'll see if Verizon follows suit.

0 Likes