Keeping unlimited data by purchasing iPhone 5S at full retail - single phone account
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

I'm eligible for an upgrade on my Verizon account. (I have a single phone on a non-family, non-shared account.) I’m thinking about getting the new iPhone 5S after it is released. I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan (from back in the Alltel days) with my BlackBerry 9930.

I'm thinking about buying the new phone at full retail in order to keep my unlimited data plan. From what I have read here and on other sites (and what I was told by a Verizon rep), Verizon is still permitting that to occur even though I would be switching from 3G to LTE.

The new "shared data" plans really do me no good since I only have one user and one phone on my account. And even the lowest (2GB) plan would cost me more than I am currently paying. (And I don’t think 2GB will be enough.) Plus since the Alltel plan combines voice and data, I get my employer’s discount on the full amount rather than just on the voice amount.

So my questions basically are:
1. Is this a good strategy? (i.e. keeping unlimited data as long as possible even if it means spending $450 or so more for the device than with a contract)

On my BlackBerry, my data usage is not high because of the compression used, but I’m concerned that the iPhone uses considerably more data. I’m thinking that it tends to be a good idea to not give up the unlimited data, but I’m wondering if it makes somewhat better financial sense to not spend the money on the device and spend it on the service plan instead.

I’m just having a hard time wrapping my brain around spending more for the service and getting less than I’m getting now. Limited vs. Unlimited

2. Is there a reasonable possibility that even if I pay full price for the device, that Verizon would/will eliminate the unlimited data? I've read here that people are somewhat talking about July 2014 as a possibility. (Obviously, I realize that they ‘could’ do it at any point. I’m just wondering if there is any inkling that this might actually occur involuntarily.)

I’m not looking for anyone to make the decision for me, but I would appreciate any insight that others might have in this scenario.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Keeping unlimited data by purchasing iPhone 5S at full retail - single phone account
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Anything?

Are there any other options or plans that might be applied in my situation?

Tnanks.

0 Likes
Re: Keeping unlimited data by purchasing iPhone 5S at full retail - single phone account
budone
Legend

If you are wanting to keep your unlimited data, this is the route to go. But you must get the phone from VZW Corporate. Most 3rd party resellers are required to switch you to the Share Plan.

I personally would order the device online. The system does not make commission on changing plans!

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Thanks for the input.

I guess the real question (that I didn't articulate fully) is whether or not it's worth spending $450 in order to keep unlimited data.  That's what it amounts to in the end.  I guess I have to figure that out.

And yeah, I would totally order online.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

It all depends on how much data you use. Plus how long VZW allows us to keep our unlimited plans. That we don't know

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

ttipgem wrote:

Thanks for the input.

I guess the real question (that I didn't articulate fully) is whether or not it's worth spending $450 in order to keep unlimited data.  That's what it amounts to in the end.  I guess I have to figure that out.

And yeah, I would totally order online.

I would suspect the new version of the iPhone to cost more than $450 dollars.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Yeah.  Two big unknowns.  On my BlackBerry, I rarely approached a gigabyte per month.  But there obviously are significantly fewer apps in the BlackBerry ecosystem.  I don't tend to stream radio and such much at all. But I might with the iPhone having a larger screen.  I have WiFi and home and at friends and family's home.  But not at work.  But I have computer access to the internet at work.

Thanks for the input.

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

Yes.  I meant that the difference between the subsidized price and the full retail price would be $450.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

budone, thanks for supporting us by providing information regarding upgrading to a new iPhone 5 with no contractual agreement. Customers may keep their Unlimited Data plan when purchasing a new iPhone 5 at full retail pricing, which is $649.99 http://vz.to/Xt5q6H

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Nicodémus
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you again Customer Support for not reading the customer's want's or needs but just taking a quick glance, As they want the 5S