Re: LG Cosmos Touch - Help Remove Daily Scoop, Please!!
blane3091

I too have been having problems with my new LG Cosmos touch. It sporadically and independently starts playing the Bing search ad. The first two times it happened were around 6 in the morning as the phone lay on my dresser. It also happened while the phone was in my pocket and I was in the local public library. Several calls to the general customer service number, including a transfer to tech support were ineffective. The Bing ad kept popping up and most annoying, kept talking...

I have been searching the forums for help, and this seems to be as close to my problem as I can find.

Now, as I sit here typing, I see my phone periodically light up, sometimes just the backlight on the hard buttons and sometimes the lock screen comes up, but I am not touching the phone. Something is trying to get info into or out of my phone, it seems.

I too have turned off all internet, premium messaging, etc. hate to have to turn all this off. While I do not have a data plan, and don't want one, I like having the choice to use that feature if I ever needed it. (Lost in a new city, VZ Nav seems a good thing to have.) But the annoyance of these ads is not worth it,

So, what we can do to shut off these possessed apps?

0 Likes
Skawt

I completely echo what Blane3091 said.  I have only had my LG Cosmos Touch for a couple weeks now and I find these unsolicited ads unconscionable.  They suck up battery as they take my phone out of "sleep" mode until I acknowledge the ad.  There MUST be a way to turn these off WITHOUT first having to subscribe to the service, only to then cancel it.  That is both ridiculous and unreasonable. 

I don't have a data plan nor do I want one.  Verizon really needs to research this issue and resolve this problem with whomever is the provider of these ads ("Bing", "Daily Scoop", etc.).  It borders on unethical to not disclose this issue with potential buyers of this phone and demonstrates extremely poor customer service to not be able to resolve this issue.

Verizon--PLEASE do your due diligence and figure out, and provide, a solution for the many unsatisfied customers dealing with this issue of unsolicited advertisements.

0 Likes
obrnlori

I just received my newly refurbished phone...activated it...unaware that techno support had  unblocked my data 2 days ago to "fix" the old phone..and when finished...didn't reblock it..and.....yup...it is there.....afraid to try any solutions listed now...and yep....have been charged for data usage too....and..lost my ringtone I payed for....

Techno support had no clue either when I spoke to them and when I mentioned these forums he told me that I could look anywhere and find problems and complaints...that didn't mean it was an issue.....

So...how long do you think it will take to have them do an update to FIX all the issues?

0 Likes
white1200c

Having the exact same problem as blane 3091. I have the data block on , so they don't come thru and use data but the phone is still lighting up all the time and when you unlock it you see it in the games app screen or the bing screen, sucks I wish someone could just tell use how to remove it from the phone itself. That seems to be the root problem here. If it can't be remove than I think an alternative phone is in order.

0 Likes
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi White1200c,

I can assist you with the Daily Scoop application. I understand your frustration. Please note that the Daily Scoop is a pre-loaded application, so it cannot be removed. However, if you follow the steps I have outlined below, you will no longer see the phone lighting up and using battery life. 

• Launch Daily Scoop
• Select ‘Menu->Options->Verizon Msgs’
• Choose ‘Off’ and ‘Save’.

• Repeat the same procedure for ‘Menu->Options->Bonus Msgs’

I hope this information is helpful for you and your device. Have a good day!

0 Likes
obrnlori
I have done that and so far so good! I actually didn't have to charge my phone last night! Thank you!
0 Likes
Bogart71

Ok My wife has this phone and we tried turing this feature off.  There were to Off buttons for updates and we turned both off and the phone is still coming on looking to do updates?  She doesn't want the internet Data plan, so do you have any other suggestions?  If we turn the data plan on is there a way to delete this APP?

0 Likes
obrnlori

I THOUGHT the solution worked but my phone continues to light up throughout the day....I wish they would send out a revision that gets rid of it because all these...SOLUTIONS....do not work ALL the way and I hate carrying my charger with me everywhere....I have had this phone since December and I find it hard to believe I need a new battery already......

0 Likes
yeahitsmickeyy

I have been having the same issues!  It is ridiculous.  I walked into Verizon today and had to explain the issue to 3 different people.  The first woman told me that I must've downloaded it one time because this phone does not have apps but clearly it dos.  I showed her where it was and she said that it did not come with the phone.  The second lady somehow knew that it was preloaded and tried to remove it from the Browse and Download screen but obviously that does not work.  One rep blocked internet/data or whatever on my phone completely through his computer and the daily scoop still worked.  Then he reset my phone because he was thinking that that would clear the app...not the case.  Tonight it opened and started to drain my battery.  This is very frustrating.  And when I tried to complete the steps recommended on this thread it asks me about a survey and for my zipcode.  This app is useless and makes me wish I spent the extra money to have the iPhone.

0 Likes
obrnlori

feeling your pain and going through the same steps....

0 Likes