LTE Extender issues with cell tower handoff
RonaldMcCallister

I recently purchased and setup VerizonWireless LTE extender in my home.  As long as I am within 25 feet or so,  I can receive and start phone calls with no problems at all.  When I get close to the drop off range,  I get dropped calls or garbled speech and no one can hear me.   I know it is a problem with the tower hand off but I am not sure why.   If I go 100 ft away,  my phone performs with no problems but If I get closer,  I have a problem with starting or continuing a call.  Like I said,  in my house no problem but if I am too close to the house (outside in my yard),  I cannot initiate or continue a call without a drop.   If I turn off the extender,  I have no problems with my calls inside or outside except in my basement which is why I bought the extender in the first place.  any thoughts???

Ronald McCallister
0 Likes
Re: LTE Extender issues with cell tower handoff
jav6
Champion - Level 3

@RonaldMcCallister wrote:

I recently purchased and setup VerizonWireless LTE extender in my home.  As long as I am within 25 feet or so,  I can receive and start phone calls with no problems at all.  When I get close to the drop off range,  I get dropped calls or garbled speech and no one can hear me.   I know it is a problem with the tower hand off but I am not sure why.   If I go 100 ft away,  my phone performs with no problems but If I get closer,  I have a problem with starting or continuing a call.  Like I said,  in my house no problem but if I am too close to the house (outside in my yard),  I cannot initiate or continue a call without a drop.   If I turn off the extender,  I have no problems with my calls inside or outside except in my basement which is why I bought the extender in the first place.  any thoughts???

What make/model phone do you have?  Do you have WiFi calling activated and maybe the phone is trying to switch between cellular service to WiFi?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, RonaldMcCallister. We know how important is to have good service when you are in your yard. To better determine if your phone is connecting to the Network Extender while you are outside near your house, try calling #48 and then listen to the announcement. Let us know what you discover. 

CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
chrismacg

I have the same problem as the original poster.  I have an iPhone 11 Pro and have "Wi-Fi Calling" turned OFF.  

I have a home office in the basement with no LTE coverage (0 bars).  I bought a LTE Extender and it works great.  Phone connects to the LTE extender when I go the the basement with 4-bars, no dropped calls - so, works great, couldn't be happier.  

However, EVERY TIME I start a call in the basement, and leave the house, the call drops.  Every time, no exception.  Typically happens when I'm about 50yds from the extender.  I typically preemptively apologize to the person I'm talking to and tell them that the call will drop and I'll call back.  I never have any problem calling back - so the cell tower network is fine once I've left the house.  The handoff from the LTE extender to the tower network, however, doesn't appear to happen.  

Would be great if Verizon could address this defect.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want all of your calls to stay connected. Does this happen with any other device?

-Tionna

0 Likes