Loss of cell tower in my neighborhood means poor service now. What can I do?
Phludder

I live in the 10016 zip code area of New York. Recently, the cell phone tower that was across the street from my building was taken away. Ever since then cell phone reception has deteriorated. Calls are constantly dropped or unable to be made. Will Verizon put up another cell tower in the area? If so, when? Or what? The situation as it is is too frustrating to continue. Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Loss of cell tower in my neighborhood means poor service now. What can I do?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Phludder,

Maintaining signal is key to be able to use your device. . No worries, you've come to the right place for assistance.

I've looked int your area. Everything checks out, and there are 6 cell sites in your zip code all within a half mile radius.

How long has this been a concern for?

What make/model device are you using?

What errors appear on the screen or do you hear in the ear piece of your device?

KatiM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Loss of cell tower in my neighborhood means poor service now. What can I do?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately in a city with the topology and size of New York City, a half mile is a big deal when your signal is only a bunch of reflections, has to go through buildings of Steel, Metal, and Concrete, in addition to coping with a high density of customers who work to add to the noise floor and increase contention for the spectrum. With that said, rapid handoff (aka the make cell phone call from an airplane) effect applies too.

0 Likes
Phludder

Thank you for your response.

The problem has been going on for about 2 to 3 weeks now.

iPhone 5s

No errors appear. The calls are just dropped. I am told sometimes when the call doesn't drop, it sound like I'm under water. And sometimes, the caller sounds to me like the signal is intermittent so that I hear some words and not others. Before this the signal was absolutely clear and there was never a problem. In fact, the reason I'm on Verizon is because I was originally with at&t and their signal kept dropping just the way the verizon signal is dropping now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Phludder, It's great to hear back from you and the information you provided us is extremely valuable. I know how important it is to have reliable service when you needed it the most. Let's continue working on this and get to the bottom of this situation. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue? Does service improve in other areas? Is this happening indoors or outdoors?

GersonG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Phludder

Thank you. The problem is also happening to the person I live here with who has an iphone 6 and is also a Verizon customer. We have used our phones in other places, both outdoors and indoors without our calls being dropped. There have been times when I was able to make a call here without a problem, but the majority of my calls do have the problem. I try different areas of the apartment but it doesn't seem to help. One area of the apartment will work fine one day, but the next day calling from the same spot will not hold on to the call for more than a couple of minutes.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Phludder, I appreciate the response and the details. We are heading the right direction to determining what is causing this issue with your phone. How is service outside the house? Does this happen at a specific time of day?

GersonGG_VZW

0 Likes