Misrepresentation of trade-in values/Incompetent customer support
Kolea_Kailua
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a promotional campaign, Verizon offered me $1000 trade-in to upgrade my son's iPhone 12 pro max (in perfect condition, no water damage, scratches, screen cracks etc.) to an iPhone 14 pro max.  It was NEVER mentioned that the trade-in value would be anything OTHER than $1,000.  I just spent more than an hour on the phone discussing this with two representatives who told me first that the reason for this was because (first explanation) "the trade-in device that was received wasn't the one they were expecting", upon which I asked them to tell me just what they were expecting and what they received.  No explanation, put on hold for 30 minutes and then was told "it was in the FINE PRINT (yes, he said this) that a promotional value of UP TO $1,000 of which you are only getting $619.92.  I asked them to clarify what exactly was wrong with the phone to make it worth $400 less than I was promised, and then was told "this iPhone isn't even worth $600, the promotion and credit you are getting is more than the phone is worth itself".  If this isn't a case of false advertising and misrepresentation, I don't know what is.  This may be the final crack in the already thin ice Verizon has been chipping away at in increasingly escalating levels (especially over the last two years).  This what FIFTEEN years & THREE months of loyalty gets you.  I am at my wits' end.  In total, I have documented 36 hours and 35 minutes in customer service/support calls (on hold as much as in conversations) since JUNE 2022 for billing issues.  It took until November 2022 to finally straighten out the erroneous international plan charges on our lines.  Nobody seems to care about loyal customer satisfaction any more.  I have never had a late payment once in my entire history, and spent a fortune upgrading phones and plans...and for what in return? 

Re: Misrepresentation of trade-in values/Incompetent customer support
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Kolea_Kailua! Thank you so much for letting me know about this situation. To further assist you, I will be sending you a PM, so we can check this together and find out the best resolution.

>Alex

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

You should know that Verizon doesn’t have your phone. These trading phones don’t go to the service provider they go to third-party recycler.

As long as you have proof of what you trade it in, which would be either at the receipt if you traded in a physical store, or proof that you mailed your package at the US Postal Service, Verizon will have to honor the trade-in deal. Every once in a while either the post office or the recycler has pulled a fast one and removed phones, or even misrepresented the phone that they got even though it is exactly what is on the receipt .  

You should also understand that the trade and offer for existing customers is less than that for new customers or new phone lines. If you were upgrading your sons line, the credit would be less

If you have documentation, do not let it slide.

Kolea_Kailua
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for taking the time to reply with this information.  I do appreciate your response and hope that something can be resolved before I say goodbye to Verizon, for good!  I can't even...

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you. We appreciate your time tonight, and we look forward to resolving this matter for you. I hope you have a good night. Take care for now, and blessings to you!  

*Ana

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

@Kolea_Kailua 

I had never ending issues with a trade in deal as well.   I traded in 4 phones for a promised $2400 total and I was jerked around for months.  I finally submitted a complaint to the FCC and got a call a few days later from a nice gentleman in the Verizon executive office.  He listened, understood my issue and had the authority to make it right.   It was a huge relief after months of torment.   

Verizon needs to be held accountable for these issues - either that have incompetent employees or they are purposely using deceptive sales practices.   Whichever the case, they need to clean up their act.  It won’t happen unless enough people report the problem to one of the regulatory agencies such as the FCC.   Once a pattern is established they can intervene and force Verizon to shape up.   

The complaint form is simple and quick to fill out:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Good luck!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you so much jennk1 for bringing this issue to us, that's definitely not the way we want you to feel about us. We'd be happy to help with your Verizon service. Please contact us through Facebook or Twitter, so we can address all your concerns.

>Jorge

0 Likes
Kolea_Kailua
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Blessings to you"...REALLY? This is the most ridiculous and insulting of your inept responses yet. There are NO blessings with Verizon. Since posting the original message, I have spent another 4+ hours on the phone with your customer (dis)service agents in chat and online who have done NOTHING to resolve one single issue. I was at work chatting with a "Heather" from 8:15pm-10:45pm who insisted she was filling out a "tedious form that took a long time, please be patient..." that was supposed to rectify the trade-in value disparity situation. Instead, after 45 minutes of "radio silence" in chat (except for the occasional "please wait, still working..." Heather (who had the audacity to put a SMILEY face next to her name signature) disappeared, and I suddenly got a chat text from someone name Servino: "Hi, I'll be happy to assist you tonight..." LIKE What the #(($%()! She passed me off to the next guy who started all over again, and was basically spewing the same programmed-response auto-spewed lines "well I'd really LIKE to help you but I can't". At this point, I asked this case (again) to be escalated to a Supervisor, who Servino said he contacted with all of my information , and who would call me back the next day (Sunday) at 3pm. THAT NEVER HAPPENED. NOTHING, AGAIN! Verizon seems to think that I am going to take this sitting down and just give up, but I'm ONLY getting started. Thanks to another soul in this thread below who replied to give me advice on how to proceed and file charges and complaints against Verizon for unfair and predatory business practices, I will be leaving Verizon for GOOD (after 15yrs 4 mos) for T-Mobile. I have had enough of this "pass the buck". There isn't a single "agent" who is even qualified OR patient enough to see this through. Since JUNE 2022 I have now spent 47hrs 17mins either on hold, in chats, or in calls to Verizon regarding multiple issues, the most costly now being the false information about trade-in values. Please stop posting your "I'm willing to help, I'll private message you" comments here because there isn't one single thing ANY of the FIVE people who have private messaged me here have done for me yet. Just a lot of "blessings" and "sorry about your troubles". Next I'm gonna hear "thoughts and prayers", RIGHT? NOBODY CARES ENOUGH TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.

Kolea_Kailua
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jennk1

THANK you THANK you THANK YOU for taking the time to respond with this detailed message and advice! Your response means the world to me, and now I have a course of action to take thanks to your effort. I really appreciate something USEFUL here for a change. I am beyond all limits dealing with inept and predatory Verizon agents. They promise the world, take your money, and deliver NOTHING in return.

I will do exactly as you instructed...and again, many many thanks for your input.

jennk1
Contributor - Level 1

@Kolea_Kailua

Your welcome! If I can just save one person from the insanity I went through, it makes me happy. Everything you shared about talking to so many customer service agents that pretended to listen and help and yet do nothing - I can so relate! They made empty promises to call back, or took hours of my time while they claimed they submitted some type of a ticket to get something fixed and I just needed to wait a few days and I would see it resolved. Or the “chats” with these employees on the message board who act all sympathetic and then you have to follow their special link and then get passed from person to person and you re-explain the issue 100 times. I nearly lost my mind!!!

What a waste of resources to do absolutely nothing. I can’t comprehend what Verizon is doing? It makes me suspect they are purposely exasperating people hoping we give up.

Please post a follow-up and let everyone know if you finally get your issue resolved! I’ll be rooting from afar 🙂