Mobile Web Feature - What does it get me?
shadar

Perhaps I am missing something, but there seems to be very detail provided on the add/remove features page.

I am trying to determine what "Mobile Web   $5.00/Month"   actually gets me.  Does this just give me the ability to use the web on my phone but I'll be paying $1.99 per MB?  Or does this provide me with unlimited data?  Or some set amount of data I can use?

I primarily would like to be able to access my email on my enV whenever I'd like as well as occasionally view some websites on my phone without worrying how much data I'm using.

I currently have a VERY old plan that only costs $50 month + $9.99 for a second line (Family plan) for 500 minutes (which I never use up).  So I don't need more minutes and don't want to pay for more.  I just want to add unlimited data/email to my phone (only one of the two phones needs this).  I also would love unlimited text messages but I don't even see that as an option anymore, I can choose between 250/500/1500/5000.

For such a large company it seems to me there should be a lot more detail given on each option so you can see what you're getting and what you're paying for everything.  It also seems like everything should be a lot easier.  Why can't we have flat pricing.  Pay for the amount of minutes you want, pay for the features you want, etc.  All the bundling and "plans" which you can then add features to makes it all very confusing.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Mobile Web Feature - What does it get me?
Swine70
Enthusiast - Level 1
you would need to upgrade to a Nationwide Select plan and subscribe to VCast Vpack for unlimited MB and such
0 Likes
shadar

So basically in order to get unlimited web I'd have to spend a minimum of 60 dollars more per month?  Excuse me if I say that is insane. 

I'd be having to pay for 700 more minutes that I wouldn't use at all.  With AT&T you can add a data package to plans for $20/month I believe.  Why on earth does Verizon not offer a data package instead of forcing customers to switch their entire plan around.  I only want wireless web (and unlimited texts if possible) on a single phone, the other phone doesn't need any of that.  At this rate I'd be better off canceling verizon altogether, paying the crazy termination fee, switching to another provider and i'd still be saving money within a 6 month period!  I can't believe there isn't a better/easier option from Verizon.

0 Likes
elusivecritter
Contributor - Level 1

Since I don't know your exact plan I cannot say with absolute certainty, but the older plans (Americas Choice or Americas Choice II) do not charge 1.99 per megabyte for mobile web. There is a monthly charge of $5 and when you are on the mobile web you are using your minutes. If you're not using all of your minutes then this shouldn't be a problem.

As for the current messaging packages the $10 and up include unlimited Verizon to Verizon and the the specified number for non-Verizon. ($10 for Unlimited Verizon to Verizon and 500 non-Verizon, $15 for UV2V & 1500 non-V, $20 UV2V & 5,000 non-V)

The plans that include unlimited messaging to and from anyone in the US are actually plans in and of themselves it is not an add-on feature added to your current plan.

All of the newer plans seem to be data oriented rather than minute oriented. My friends who work for Verizon say they should be called a Wireless Data & Phone store rather than a Wireless Phone store. Data being listed first.

0 Likes
Swine70
Enthusiast - Level 1

to me paying a little more for verizon is well worth it. I live just south east of Houston, Texas and we got hit hard during hurrican Ike back in September. out of all the people around me on other cell providers Verizon was the only one that worked in the area i am in.

0 Likes
shadar

While I appreciate that the coverage area and reliability has won you over, I do not feel that a company should get a pass on having very poor customer service / pricing plans.  I too like Verizon's coverage, I've tended to have better reception than my friends everywhere I've been.  This only makes it more frustrating for me that the pricing and plans are so confusing and poorly devised.  A more consumer friendly pricing system by Verizon would likely put several of their competitors out of business, as their coverage is definitely the best in my experience.  

I do thank the previous poster though for his explanation of the "Mobile Web" add-on for $5.  Very interesting that in old plans it uses my minutes and in new plans it would be data-oriented instead.  I will have to debate what to do now.  I don't suppose using the mobile web during off-peak hours counts as off-peak and thus doesn't count against my minutes?  I imagine a minute of mobile web is a minute off my total no matter when it is?

I suppose I will have to give the mobile web a go and use it sparingly for a month to see exactly how it is billed, then make a decision from there.

I am curious though, does anyone have much experience using mobile web on the newer plans?  How much data is actually used up to go to a movie theaters website for example to check movie times... or to check the weather... or other such simple tasks.  How about for email?  Any first hand knowledge on this from other posters would be very helpful in making up my mind how to proceed.

0 Likes
Shirozato
from my understanding it would take away from your minutes the same way a voice call would - if you use it off peak it takes away from your off peak min (most people have unlimited) or if you use it during peak it takes away from your peak minutes.
0 Likes
anhero
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you have one of the old plans that actually has Mobile Web as a $5 feature, you will actually have full and unlimited usage of the mobile web as long as you get used to your minutes being used in the process. If used during off-peak hours (9:01 PM to 5:59 AM) or on weekends you will experience unlimited usage with the added benefit of not using any airtime allowance.

Essentially... you manage to take advantage of one of the selling points of the current $15 data package at a reduced cost, so long as you use during the above mentioned time periods.

As a general (see:quite rough) idea , a MB (megabyte) is USUALLY the amount of data transfered aftering viewing about 20-30 web pages. Granted, using certain elements of mobile web may result in more usage.

Hope this helps. If even just a bit.

0 Likes
Swine70
Enthusiast - Level 1

the best way to find things out about plans is to call the 1-800 number. Trying to figure out what is what with the plans on the website is a major pain {please keep it courteous} and that is something that really does bug me, it's like they don't want you to understand what you get and don't get in a plan.

I've never had any problems with them on the phone, they are always nice and very informative. they are also very helpfull when you email them with question.

I have the V Cast Vpak For Mb -$15.00 on the NATIONWIDE SELECT FAMILY SHARE plan and find myself useing the web on my phone more than i thought i would... anytime i'm sitting still.

Message Edited by Swine70 on 04-07-2009 08:28 PM
Message Edited by WendyM on 04-07-2009 11:38 PM
0 Likes
NJAnalyst
Enthusiast - Level 2
I was using Mobile Web under Americas Choice II and paid $5.00 per month plus minutes for data use.  When time came to upgrade, I wanted to replace my flip phone with a phone with a Qwerty keyboard.  I decided on the LG enV Touch which I like.  The only problem was that I had to change to a Nationwide Plan and get the $15 per month V-cast Pack so that I didn't get hit with data usage.  After using my phone, I am glad that I took the V-cast feature because I logged over 40 MB of data in my first week.  This included email, web browsing, two GIN apps, and two V-cast video clips (only about 5 minutes each).  If you plan to use your phone for email, I strongly recommend getting the Mobile Email application, as well, because Mobile Web Mail uses  IP webmail which is very frustrating to read or type on a small screen.
0 Likes