Mobile network IP address
AndrewBernhardt

I have a security camera at home on a network with a static WAN address to my ISP. I used to be able to use an app to view the camera on my phone while on the mobile network, but I can do so no longer.

The address of my phone is not the address that is seen on the web. My phone says its address is 100.85.168.xx, but whatismyipaddress.com says it is 174.237.1.xx, which is what my home network is detecting as well.

Is my phone going through some sort of NAT or proxy? Is there some way to get it to work the way it used to?

Andrew

0 Likes
Re: Mobile network IP address
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having access to your mobile app for the security camera is crucial, and we are here to help. Please tell us, are you using a dual SIM card? What model is your device? Do you have access to the security camera app on another devices as well?

MariaV_VZW

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the 4G LTE network is behind a NAT firewall with private IP addresses. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AndrewBernhardt

Is there anyway to bypass NAT?

(I have an LG V20, 1 SIM, which shouldn't matter.)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use a VPN. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tsrut

I too noticed that the IP address I get from my Droid's About Device isn't the same as the IP address I get from "whatsmyip". 

Here's my guess on what's going on, so take this as a grain of salt, as I could certainly be wrong.  This gives someone else who really knows what's going on to chime in and correct things.

I did an IP lookup on the 100dot ip addresses, and I noticed that nobody was the registered owner of those IP address.  An IP lookup on the 174dot ip addresses showed me the verizon is the registered owner of those IP addresses.  So, that implies, that the 174dot ip address is the public internet ip address of you phone at this time.  So what does the 100dot IP address represent.  As I've deduced, its not a public internet ip address.  So that must mean that its some kind of private network IP address. Please note that I've disabled my  WIFI and I'm using verizon's mobile network for my data;  you probably get a real IP if you're getting data from a WIFI connection.  So the verizon mobile network is a private network. This private network is disconnected from the public internet network.  Because of that, in that private network, they can use whatever IP addresses they want.  They're not publicly registered IP addresses.  What verizon must be doing is something similar to  NAT (network address translation) in mapping public IP adresses to (device's) IP address in their private network. So there are some nodes in the verizon mobile network where they route the data in an out of public internet network.  Those 100dot IP addresses don't get carried over to public internet network, because they aren't real registered pubic IP addresses.

0 Likes