Month in advance
DPSBACKUP

When I opened my Verizon wireless account, I had to pay a month in advance. Is the 25th month free or how does that work?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Month in advance
rcschnoor
Legend

When you signed up, you are billed a partial month and a full month. This is because your billing cycle does not normally begin on the date you sign up but another arbitrary date.

For example, you sign up on June 1 and your billing date is June 15. On your first bill, you would be billed for service from June 1 thru June 15 AND another charge from June 16 thru July 15. On your second bill, you would be charged for July 16 thru August 15 only. Going forward, you would only be charged for 1 month in advance each month as you had already paid for the current month.

When does it even out? When you leave Verizon and you end service close to the end of the month for which you had already paid. In the above example, if you were to leave Verizon it would be best to cancel/port service on or around the 10th of the month as a port can take a couple of days before it takes effect. Verizon does not pro-rate your final bill with them, so if you were to cancel/port your service, you would want to do it close to your billing date, but not after. If you were to do it after your billing date, you would have to pay for service for a month you would not be using.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

There is no free month because your service does not end the after 24 months.

If you are on a post-paid account you pay a month in advance and you get the services you paid for. If you go over your chosen data limit you will receive overage charges on your next bill.

If you are on a prepaid account you pay the monthly service and when you use all of your data it stops working but you can still send messages and calls. You don't get overage charges on prepay and you also don't get the option to finance your device over 24 months.

You pay then get your service. You don't get your service then pay for it afterwards.

0 Likes
DPSBACKUP

Before i even used a minute, when I signed up, I had to pay for 2 months is what I'm saying. It was a double bill saying it was for the month I'm now going to be using plus one more totaling about $300. Every month after that has been for a month I've already used and closer to $150.

[Removed]

So, my question still is not answered. When does it even out?

chat transcription removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service 

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

When you signed up, you are billed a partial month and a full month. This is because your billing cycle does not normally begin on the date you sign up but another arbitrary date.

For example, you sign up on June 1 and your billing date is June 15. On your first bill, you would be billed for service from June 1 thru June 15 AND another charge from June 16 thru July 15. On your second bill, you would be charged for July 16 thru August 15 only. Going forward, you would only be charged for 1 month in advance each month as you had already paid for the current month.

When does it even out? When you leave Verizon and you end service close to the end of the month for which you had already paid. In the above example, if you were to leave Verizon it would be best to cancel/port service on or around the 10th of the month as a port can take a couple of days before it takes effect. Verizon does not pro-rate your final bill with them, so if you were to cancel/port your service, you would want to do it close to your billing date, but not after. If you were to do it after your billing date, you would have to pay for service for a month you would not be using.

0 Likes
ROSIBE

I'm extremely confused by all of these answers as well as your question because when I signed up for Verizon I paid nothing up front and didn't receive a bill for over a month. I received around $200 for my at&t iPhone 5s trade in and nearly all was spent on a case, car charger, a moto mod for my new phone and a wireless charger with a statement credit on top of all of this. I think these boards are extremely helpful but I would ask a representative from the company directly if I were in your situation. I realize all experiences will be different but unless you speak with someone who works for the company you won't really know.

0 Likes
blue_sky420
Enthusiast - Level 2

"...If you are on a post-paid account you pay a month in advance..."

So, to be clear, on the post-paid plan you pre-pay. Just saying they should not call it post-paid.

KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

blue_sky420, yes our postpaid accounts you will be billed a month in advance for any plans/features. Our prepaid accounts are paid monthly upfront. There are no contracts/device payment plans. There are less plan/feature options available on prepaid vs postpaid accounts. 

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes