Mother Lode (Sonora, CA.) 3G Service
johnejo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello.  I live in the Sonora, CA area.  This is not a Verizon area, but it is an Extended Area.  Verizon is part owner with the local company, Golden State Cellular.  My understanding is that an agreement was reached between both companies regarding 3g data services, and about two years ago both companies "turned on" 1x data between them with the understanding that 3G would be "turned on" shortly thereafter.  Well, I'm still stuck on 1x when I'm in this area (which is where I live), even though I update my roaming each time I go into the valley where Verizon has their own service.  When I ask Verizon CS when the 3G will be 'turned on' they say it hinges on Golden State Cellular, and when I ask Golden State Cellular they say it hinges on Verizon.  Can you verify where the hang-up is, and especially when Verizon customers who live in this area will finally get 3G service?  I realize that 4G is now the big thing, but to have 3G up here will be a major improvement and a very desired service.

Thank you.  Look forward to hearing from anyone, ESPECIALLY VERIZON, when this is actually going to take place, or whether we need to change carriers.

Labels (1)
Tags (5)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mother Lode (Sonora, CA.) 3G Service
GVT2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a similar problem - getting 1x instead of 3g data roaming, even after a Verizon Golden State deal had been worked out.  So I called Verizon, after alot of dumb, answers and putting me thru alot of non-sense questions, I changed the SIM card when I was home back in a Verizon area, and my phone received a new PRL. (I was roaming on Golden State, as I have Verizon service)

Verizon never was able to answer a simple question, of what PRL was the proper one to have that would provide the 3g service.  In any event, I finally reached a tech who pushed the most latest PRL to both of our phones.  In addition, Verizon was never able to tell me why a phone that is supposed to automatically update the PRL would be out of date. 

So, in the future, as I can't use *228 to update my PRL (better phone - right !) I will simply call Verizon, and tell them I want the latest PRL pushed to my phone. 

On a recent trip, it worked. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jdiamond
Enthusiast - Level 2

You live close to where I am. When you're in Sonora, can you make and receive calls while on the extender roaming service? Whenever I try to make a call I get a message saying that my phone number is not authorized, has this ever happened to you?

0 Likes
GVT2
Enthusiast - Level 2

In July, 2012, I was in the Coulterville area.  We have Droid Razr Maxx phones.  Mine never received 3g, and had 1x.  My wife's pulled a new PRL when we were in a Verizon area (Modesto), and it then started to have 3g when back in Golden State areas. I was told by Golden State I should have 3g. I understand Verizon and Golden State just recently agreed to 3g for their respective customers when using each other's networks.  Voice was fine for both phones.

Would be interested to hear from others on this subject.

0 Likes
jdiamond
Enthusiast - Level 2

You should be able to get 3g. Although, as you can read above I had many problems, but I feel like Golden State and Verizon don't communicate as much as they should.One day my phone just started working, like after a week in a half on being the Golden State network, I couldn't make or receive calls or texts, nor could I use 3g. Finally just out of the blue, like the day I decided to cancel my service, it started working. 3G however didn't work still, but I didn't really care. I went to San Francisco, which is a good Verizon area, then I came back and now 3g works for me. The weird thing is I never updated PRL I didn't update anything. I feel like, and Verizon or at least Golden State would deny this, I feel like it takes a while or something for a phone to register with the Golden State towers, I don't know.

0 Likes
GVT2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jdiamond:

I have had some of the same problems, a couple of years ago.  My phone wouldn't ring, yet suddenly I had a voice mail. I could call a landline with it, but it would not receive a call.  I called Verizon, they were "duh" no help at all.  Called Golden State, they listened but really couldn't help, as I was not their customer, but roaming on their service.  Couple of hours later, everything was fine.  I am beginning to think, based on the voice and internet issues that I have had, and others have reported,  this is a money thing for the carriers, they really don't wan't to pay each other for their customers to roam on each other's networks, and when called on it, point the finger back at each other. ... in the meantime, they can say we have all this "great" service.....     Any Verizon person out there care to address that one ??

0 Likes
GVT2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a similar problem - getting 1x instead of 3g data roaming, even after a Verizon Golden State deal had been worked out.  So I called Verizon, after alot of dumb, answers and putting me thru alot of non-sense questions, I changed the SIM card when I was home back in a Verizon area, and my phone received a new PRL. (I was roaming on Golden State, as I have Verizon service)

Verizon never was able to answer a simple question, of what PRL was the proper one to have that would provide the 3g service.  In any event, I finally reached a tech who pushed the most latest PRL to both of our phones.  In addition, Verizon was never able to tell me why a phone that is supposed to automatically update the PRL would be out of date. 

So, in the future, as I can't use *228 to update my PRL (better phone - right !) I will simply call Verizon, and tell them I want the latest PRL pushed to my phone. 

On a recent trip, it worked. 

0 Likes
Naitime

I ,oved her last year from the bay area and though I had a 4 g device (bionic ) it still wasn't able to hold a decent signal in some local  Areas I upgraded to a better 4 g phone (RAZR 16gb ))  if you want it to work here on 3g you must drive to oakdale and make certain your phone is activated there in the 4 g verizon zone first otherwise you will not get activated or if at all you will only get 1x signal as is true for  3g and older non 4g phones . Its a pain but worth the dramatic improvement in service . I am up for contract renewal and honestly Ive been shopping everywhere for something that will give me what I am currently getting because you couldn't PAY ME to use AT&T ever again . Verizon has the very best phones and service and  support at any price . I am willing to deal with the hassle and the higher prices for service rather than go back to a slower outdated

cheap phone with mediocre service . you get what you pay for with verizon.

One VIP point I should mention for GOLD COUNTRY VERIZON CUSTOMERS  . Make sure that when and if  you are thinking of upgrading your Verizon device for this area I STRONGLY   recommend a 4g phone that is QUAD BAND or INTERNATIONAL Compatible device  because without the international capability you WIL NOT GET THE BEST DATA SPEED POSSIBLE FOR 3G its because of the gsm signal here  . I've had other 4g but not quad band devices and even with roaming enabled it must be  quad band or international  enabled and set to roam you will then see a dramatic difference , and still have excellent service and performance for this area , but you will have to dial your phone number s10 digits to reach voicemail from your device the *86 feature doesnt work while roaming . Other than that youll be amazed as I was to learn this NECESSITY any new  4 g phone won't get it ,its got to be quad band or international roaming capable to get the best on golden states towers , hope this helps.

0 Likes