Much slower than advertised
FREKOS62
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am doing a large download via hotspot and reached 15gb so my speed was then slowed down as expected but my download speed now is around 70kbps.  That is a lot slower than 600kbps.  My top speed before reaching 15gb was 1.3mbps with 4g lte, that's pathetic.  I have beyond unlimited and expected better speeds than 70kbps, they advertise up to 600 kbps after reaching the 15gb limit.  Why so slow?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Much slower than advertised
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FREKOS62,

We always want for you to be on the best plan for your data needs. I'm sorry that you're having issues with your data performance. I want to make sure we're all on the same page with the specifics of the Beyond Unlimited plan, as we don't ever want to mislead anyone. With this plan, after you reach 15GB of 4G LTE speeds for the hotspot, the speed will be reduced to speeds up to 600 Kbps. This means that the speeds can be below 600 Kbps. Please refer to the Beyond Unlimited section in this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/unlimited/ You do have the option to move to the Above Unlimited plan, as that may fit your needs better. You can change your plan easily by following this link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/how-to-change-your-plan/ I hope this provides clarity.

Alicia_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

FREKOS62 wrote:

I am doing a large download via hotspot and reached 15gb so my speed was then slowed down as expected but my download speed now is around 70kbps. That is a lot slower than 600kbps. My top speed before reaching 15gb was 1.3mbps with 4g lte, that's pathetic. I have beyond unlimited and expected better speeds than 70kbps, they advertise up to 600 kbps after reaching the 15gb limit. Why so slow?

600 kbps is the MAX speed. If you were only getting 1.3 Mbps before then obviously your area is congested or you have the hotspot in a terrible location.

0 Likes
FREKOS62
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your response, I understand up to 600kbps doesn't mean it will be that speed, but 70kbps is a far cry from 600.  Misleading advertising.  Thanks for the heads up on "above unlimited", didn't know that was available.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

FREKOS62 wrote:

Thank you for your response, I understand up to 600kbps doesn't mean it will be that speed, but 70kbps is a far cry from 600. Misleading advertising. Thanks for the heads up on "above unlimited", didn't know that was available.

it's not misleading if you are in a congested area or you simply choose to put the hotpot in place where it can't effectively get the signal from the tower then how is that misleading? Mobile data isn't magic. just because the speed limit is 60 MPH on a freeway doesn't mean that Friday at 6 PM you can do that. And just because you're only doing 20 MPH becuase of rush hour doesn't mean the speed limit sign was "misleading"

maybe get some real internet as mobile is not meant to be a home internet replacement

0 Likes