My Nightmare with Verizon Fraud Customer Service
stacelle

Apparently about a year ago someone used my social security number and address to open a Verizon Wireless account. I subsequently received a notice from Verizon saying the account was past due and a bill for $500. I am not and have never been a Verizon Wireless customer. AT&T provides my cell phone service, and I have been with AT&T for many years. However, I do have a Verizon Fios account. When I received the notice and bill from Verizon Wireless, I mistakenly thought something was wrong with my Verizon Fios account. I immediately called Verizon Fios to make sure everything was alright, and they told me that my account was fine. I told them about the notice and they said the notice was for a Verizon Wireless account and transferred me over to Verizon Wireless. I was eventually connected to the Verizon Fraud department where the customer service representative ensured me that everything would be fine, and that I would not be responsible for the fraudulent account. Verizon told me to file a police report. I filed a police report and immediately called Verizon Fraud to give them the investigation number. The representative told me they would take it from here and that everything would be fine. Months later, I received ANOTHER bill from Verizon Wireless requesting even more money! I was confused. I called Verizon Wireless customer service to figure out what was going on. Despite providing Verizon with the police report I filed, my driver's license, and all of the other information they requested, the Verizon customer service representative told me there was "insufficient" evidence to prove that the account was fraudulent and that I was responsible for paying for the account. I told them I did not open the account and that I had done everything they asked me to do. The customer service representative actually called me a liar and told me that I needed to take responsibility for the account! When I asked to speak with her manager, she told me that liars could not speak with her manager and then hung up on me! I can't believe Verizon would treat a customer with so much disrespect, let alone a customer who was the victim of fraud. Ironically, in shamefully claiming that I opened the account and then subsequently lied about it to everyone including the police, Verizon has overlooked the fact that the person who fraudulently used my information to open a wireless account misspelled my first name. I have a filed a complaint about Verizon's horrible actions with the FCC and also notified the credit reporting agencies. I will continue to pursue other action to get this resolved in any way I can. Verizon seriously needs to get its act together, as I see that I am but one person in a long list of folks who have been oppressed by this company.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: My Nightmare with Verizon Fraud Customer Service
civica
Enthusiast - Level 3

stacelle

I couldn't imagine the headache of having your identity stolen. However, I don't believe this is the appropriate route to resolve this issue. It's a serious issue, and this community, for the most part, is a customer-to-customer help forum. I wouldn't imagine anyone here can actually assist you with this issue as the majority of the people here are Verizon Wireless customers or baseline customer service representatives.

Immediate Steps to Repair Identity Theft | Consumer Information

Re: My Nightmare with Verizon Fraud Customer Service
mama23dogs
Legend

Excellent advice from civica.

Have you taken steps to secure your accounts?

Verizon is a victim also.  I know that doesn't make you feel better.  And it certainly doesn't excuse the customer service person for their conduct.

0 Likes