Mysterious data usage spikes??
trewbux

Hoping someone out in forum-land can help me since VZW customer service seemingly cannot...

I have been on the 10GB shared data plan (2 lines, me and my wife) for the last several years, and that has always been plenty for us each month... until now! Last month I got an email that I had run out of data with about 7 days left in the billing cycle. I looked at my data usage log and I showed some unusual spikes on several days that I was on vacation, so I assumed it was because I was away from my home wifi and using my phone more than normal. So I shrugged it off and muddled through the rest of the month with a ridiculously slow, semi-useless phone, just waiting for the billing cycle to roll over so I could start fresh. It finally does, and my phone/network is back to it's normal speedy self. Hooray! Until day 3 of the new cycle, when I get an email at 9:34am saying that I had used 90% of my data already... Huh? And then at 9:35am I get another email saying I've used all of my data! Double huh?? I look at my data usage log and it says that at 7:49am (when I had not yet left my house and wifi) I used 3.41GB! And between 9:20 and 9:34am I used a total of 6.07GB!! I had left home at that point but had not been using anything data-intensive - just navigation apps, checking email, etc. How is it possible that I used a month's worth of data in one morning without doing anything unusual with my phone?? I got on the phone with VZW "customer service" later that day and after spending nearly 2 hours getting shuttled around between different departments and managers I was told that it must have been something I did that consumed all that data (though they couldn't tell me what) and they couldn't do anything for me except to switch to a more expensive unlimited data plan (how convenient for them!). Needless to say, I was pretty furious by the time I finally got off the phone. Does anyone know how my phone could have done this (it's an iPhone 12 pro btw) and/or how I can get VZW to be more responsive to a customer of 5+ years? I have no intention of having a useless phone for the next 27 days, or giving this company more of my money, so will likely switch to T-mobile if that's the case, since they have unlimited data plans that are the same cost as my current 10GB plan.

0 Likes
Re: Mysterious data usage spikes??
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good day, trewbux. As a consumer, I sincerely understand your concerns about the data usage https://www.verizon.com/support/data-usage-faqs/ on your phone. Please review number 1 under "Managing your mobile data usage" at the above link to view the data usage on your phone. We can also check on options to change your plan to an unlimited plan https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/unlimited/ so that you can enjoy your phone without data limitations. Would you want to check for you?

-Antonio

0 Likes
Re: Mysterious data usage spikes??
trewbux

This is basically the same answer I got from VZW phone customer service: We can show you how much data your phone used, but can't offer an explanation for these spikes even though it makes no sense based on your phone usage. And we'd be happy to switch you to a more expensive unlimited data plan to solve this issue... Thanks but no thanks.

0 Likes