Need help resolving issue with inoperable phone
cmgrose

I am hoping someone from customer service can help resolve this issue. About a month ago I began to have problems with my iPhone 4s, which I purchased new in Feb 2014 from Verizon Wireless. The problems involved the following: cellular data could not be accessed at all (wifi worked fine), texts were being received by my phone 24-48 hours after being sent, voice mails would not show up when recorded by the caller (one day I had 12 voicemails download all at once on my phone). My husband called Verizon for technical assistance. After an hour on the phone with tech assistance the issue was still not resolved. She (the tech assistant) had asked what type of phone we had (we told her it was an iPhone 4s), and after no success with any of the troubleshooting she recommended we set the phone back to factory settings. This also did not work, so then she asked us to download the latest OS upgrade. After that was done, the phone not only still had the original problems, but it also did not have any call or text service available. At this point, she recommended we just take the phone into a Verizon Wireless store to have it looked at. When we entered the store and asked what the problem was, we were told that upgrades on "older" model phones often resulted in the problem we were having (meaning the no call/text service available). After speaking with a Verizon Wireless representative, we were told that the iPhone 4s should not have had the upgrade, and that they were sorry but there was nothing they could do except to offer us an upgrade to a newer phone (at full price!) with another contract! We were incredulous. The VZW tech should have known better than to tell us to upgrade the OS on the phone since it is apparently common knowledge that this problem occurs on phones that are "older" models (three different persons in the store told us this). We aren't even done with our 2 year contract, which ends on Feb 8, 2016. We asked if we could break the contract since the phone no longer works and get the upgrade now. No, they said they were sorry but there was nothing they could do. Either pay full price for a new phone now and extend the contract, or pay $150 to break the contract now and lose the phone number and upgrade opportunity, or pay for three months of service we can't use because the phone does not work anymore (they actually suggested we just get a cheap flip phone while paying for the rest of the contract period). Excuse me, but my phone did make calls and texts BEFORE VZW told us to upgrade the OS! So VZW is responsible for making our phone incapable of using call/text service, but they are not willing to work with us at all. It is ridiculous that we should be expected to pay for a service we cannot use now. I do not understand the inflexibility--we are more than willing to stay with Verizon, sign another contract, but we simply ask for the upgrade NOW instead of 3 months from now. Even the manager at this store would not work with us. We would like this resolved in a fair manner, please!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Need help resolving issue with inoperable phone
Snn5
Legend

What did Apple say about the situation when you called or visited them?

0 Likes
cmgrose

We did take it into an Apple store and they could not find the root of the problem either. They also said the phone was permanently inoperable now due to the OS upgrade.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Why didn't they just reformat the phone there and load the earlier version or make sure that the update worked?  Something is amiss here.  It is true that older phones MIGHT have a struggle, but Apple isn't releasing an update that will not work on their own phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am saddened to hear of issue that you have had cmgrose. Certainly we want to resolve this for you. I have sent you a Private Message to assist further.
RosanneM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answe button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

Snn5
Legend

Please make sure to let us know the results of this thread.  Others will want to know.  rosannem_vzw

0 Likes
cmgrose

Hello,

Do you have any suggestions for how this issue can be resolved? I responded to your private message three days ago,but have not heard anything back.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Here's a link on how to message:  The reps don't tell you this though.

How To: Direct Message

0 Likes
cmgrose

New problem--my husband tried to add me as an account manager and for some reason my phone number does not show up so he can't assign me my own phone number!! So I can't talk to anyone on My Verizon. Guess I'm out of luck. This is so confusing and frustrating. I simply want a phone that can call and text, which, by the way, we are paying for!

0 Likes