Re: New Verizon Wireless Plans Effective August 13, 2015
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes the article and many of the posts above state what occurs to those of us on grandfathered plans if you read them.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ann154 wrote:

The press release does have the sentence "Current customers can keep their existing plan or move to the new plan, with some restrictions." that could indicate customers who still have a Nationwide Plan would be unaffected. I'm not entirely convinced with so little information.

Yes, I saw that sentence in the press release.  I guess I wasn't clear with my comment; I wasn't referring to keeping the current plan ... my thought was in terms of moving to the new plan "with some restrictions" and what (if any) those restrictions entail if you are currently on an older plan such as a Nationwide.  Hopefully more details will be provided once the plans are effective.

benboy12
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am not sure if anyone can answer this, but does that mean customers with a current Edge discount of $25 will lose the discount on August 13th (since we are technically not under contract)? I have one member of my family who is eligible for an upgrade and was going to go the Edge route since its a $25 line discount and the monthly cost of the phone is $27. I was encouraging them to wait a month or two to get a newer phone. However, it sounds like it would make more financial sense for them to go ahead and get the new phone before August 13th, so that they can get a $25 a month line discount, provided they would get to keep it after the new plans roll out.

0 Likes
cyraxote1

All I know is this: I'm on a contract. I pay about $55/month for 1 GB, including insurance on the phone (I have a bundle discount from FiOS as well). When the contract's over, I'll bet dollars to donuts I'll still be paying about $55/month, but I'll also have to shell out $400 to $600 for a new phone. That sucks.

I have no problem at all with the subsidies. There is very little difference between these two scenarios:

1) I'm on a contract. I pay $55/month. I decide to leave. I pay an early termination fee.

2) I'm not on a contract. I pay $55/month. I decide to leave. I pay the balance of the cost of the phone.

Either way, I'm paying to leave, but in the first scenario, I didn't have to pay for the phone.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

true since you were always paying full price for the phone anyway. 

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

cyraxote1 wrote:

When the contract's over, I'll bet dollars to donuts I'll still be paying about $55/month, ......

How do you know this?  If you aren't under contract, then there is no guaranteed price.

0 Likes
cyraxote1

@Weth: I was, but I didn't mind!

@Snn5: I don't for sure. But they're advertising $30 for 1GB + $20 for access. I think if they start getting people to buy $600 phones and then jack up the rates again and again, people will not stick around long.

0 Likes
lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

i'm on the 15gb plan with 10 lines, so unless the XXL(15gb) plan is $50 it's gonna cost me more. I could get by with the XL plan but that is still a $30 increase. Hopefully they'll let us stay our current plans and be able to use payment plans in the future.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Verizon still believes that most users use only ~2GB more or less a month and each "Family Plan" (no longer a thing) or account will have 4 or less lines.  I believe this is why they have introduced these lower allotments and decreased the line charge.  $160 right there for 4 lines getting 3GB each.  I suppose the extra 1GB is more than enough for some, but nothing near whats needed for others.  The larger plans will be available, however they will not be advertised, and only shown on available data plan pages online.

0 Likes
june1234
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yea. Just VZ marketing Im afraid Have a feeling when all is said and done you will be paying as much or more for your phone bill as you were . You will still be under contract for the new phone you upgraded to  and those wont be cheap.  They'll figure out how to make it up charging more for other services

I like the Google FI project with the Nexus 6 phone. $20 a month unlimited calls and texts phone communicates on wifi only $10 a month for 1GB  data but its prorated if you  use less data then 1GB you get charged less. Its only available with 2 other carriers but I love the idea

0 Likes