No Coverage in Puerto Rico
Douglas4
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you are Verizon user traveling to Puerto Rico, you will not have cellular service. I'm in the most populated city, San Juan. I've only been able to text, use data, etc when I have access to my hotel's wifi. T-mobile and AT&T users have strong coverage without additional fees. I contacted Vetixon prior to my trip and they ensured me I would not have additional roaming charges and that coverage would be strong. Verizon cellular coverage maps indicate that coverage is strong throughout much of the island. This is inaccurate. Your phone will indicate that you have "Exteneded" coverage (essentially you are borrowing service from another provider), but you will not have service.

Labels (1)
Re: No Coverage in Puerto Rico
TimLank

I can 100% confirm the accuracy of Douglas4's experience.

Please see the details of my experience here: 

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1401663#1401663

Douglas4 - can you provide the Device & plan that you were attempting to use in San Juan?

0 Likes
KIDTECH1

I AM WRITING IN ALL CAPS IN HOPES THAT SOMEONE AT VERIZON NOTICES.

I AM CURRENTLY IN PUERTO RICO WITH A SAMSUNG GALAXY S7 EDGE AND NOT ABLE TO GET ANY DATA CONNECTION. I DO HAVE CELL COVERAGE AND TEXT (BOTH THESE SERVICES RIDE OVER CELL). I'VE CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE WHEN TROUGH ALL MY SETTING I'VE EVEN RECEIVED MY LASTEST OTA UPDATE OVER WI-FI AND MY PHONE WILL NOT CONNECT FOR DATA SERVICE. ALL I SEE IS A 3G CONNECTION BUT IT IS GRAYED OUT. THIS MEANS THAT A FULL CONNECTION IS NOT REGISTERING. VERIZON IS NOT CORRECT AND I WILL FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT BASED ON FALSE SERVICE INFORMATION TO THE CUSTOMER.

Glad to know I am not the only one with this issue!

0 Likes
BaysideLucas

I've spoken to 7 Verizon reps, either in person or on the phone.  Each has a different answer for Verizon coverage in Puerto Rico.  I will be there for 2 weeks in February 2017, and am already a bit frantic over being without access.  Same happened last year, and the explanations were equally varied.  Why can't Verizon provide me with an accurate answer?  All I need is TALK service to make and receive calls.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

International Travel Plan | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

More specifically see https://ss7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/available-international-travel-services.pdf

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
BaysideLucas

Thanks! I opened the PDF list, and Puerto Rico appears covered by Verizon as “domestic.” I was told yesterday by Verizon staff that “there are no longer any Verizon towers in Puerto Rico, since it sold the operation to Claro.” How old is this PDF? There are no consistent answers to my question, and I’m frustrated. Hope you can assist…

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Puerto Rico technically in the wireless world is no longer considered domestic. Claro no longer "caters" to the cdma network.!so it depends on who your service is through, the network settings, and your type of phone. US coverage is not guaranteed outside the US or territories and as a result talk of a class action albeit an older post are absurd.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

A class action for service that isn't guaranteed outside the US. Interesting.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

It is still domestic rates, but you need an international capable phone.  CDMA basic phone won't work.