No Roll Over Data Penalizes Us
drrjv
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon not having Roll Over like AT&T effectively means you can not use all your data due to fears of going over the limit.

With AT&T one develops an extra data buffer so to speak. Not with Verizon. And if you go over, it's $15 per extra GB.

This is really a big Verizon-Negative in my opinion. Would be nice if the FCC could intervene or maybe even Verizon would just 'do the right thing!'

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Roll Over Data Penalizes Us
mama23dogs
Legend

This is a privilege ATT extended not a right for every customer.  If you prefer ATT's plan, switch.  

The only reason a carrier has for changing policy is if it hurts their bottom line.

Tidbits
Legend

The FCC will not do anything. Carriers makes their own plans and options. Your job as a consumer is to spend your money how you see fit. Don't like what Verizon offers switch to another carrier. If no carrier doesn't give you the options you want don't get service. If enough people in this country did this it would affect the industry more than fitting the bill and complaining about what coulda shoulda be done.

rcschnoor
Legend

AT&T's roll over policy is not all that great, especially if you choose the data tier which is right for your needs.

Data rolls over for 1 month only. You use your allowance before any rollover data. Rolled over data will not roll over to another month.

For example:Data allowance = 10 GB

Month 1 - 9 GB usage = 1 GB rolled over to month 2

Month 2 - 7 GB usage = 7 GB used from your allowance, 3 GB rolled over to month 3, 1 GB from month 1 lost.

Month 3 - 10 GB usage = 10 GB used from your allowance, no data rolled over to month 4, 3 GB from month 2 lost.

Month 4 - 11 GB usage = 10 GB used from your allowance, 1 GB of overage charged to you.

Of course, you could always switch to Project Fi, where you are only charged for the data you actually use and refunded any cost for data you don't use. If you have a 1 GB($10/GB cost) allowance and only use 0.5 GB, you would be refunded $5 at the end of the month. If you use 1.5 GB, you would be charged an extra $5 at the end of the month.Smiley Happy

Tidbits
Legend

T-mobile let's you roll over but the max you can hold is 10GB. Maybe they raised it recently to 20GB don't remember. Funny thing I only use that line at home where I have WiFi. So it's always full. When I am at work it is either AT&T or Verizon as T-mobile can't hold a candle in my work areas.

drrjv
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have both but live in a rural area without broadband and use Verizon's Home Fusion Cantenna with 40gb Data. Some months I use 15-20 GB and others I have run over 40 GB (I usually have to unplug the Cantenna when I get close to 40)

Would be nice to have more flexibility in the plan. Currently I end up using only 35-38 GB max as I must unplug the Cantenna to avoid the risk of overcharges.

If not Roll Over, it would be nice to just have Data turn off when I hit 40, but that would not be in Verizon's interest either.

0 Likes
drrjv
Enthusiast - Level 2

You pointed out the beauty of AT&T's plan. If you don't use the data on month 1, you can use it the following month.

Please see my other comment for detail of my particular situation.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Drrjv, I understand your concern with data overages. We always want you to be happy with service, while not having to worry about data. That is why we offer data alerts, the ability to increase the data plan seamlessly, and Family Base, which allows you to control data usage on each line. We specialize in making sure you are on the best plan to suit your needs, so that data will not have to be a concern. Are having any issues with data overages?

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

drrjv, I know living in a rural area is beautiful and peaceful, but can also be challenging. We want you to have the best service and enough to last during each month. I like the fact that you know how to manage your usage by turning off your data when you get close. I also understand that this can be an inconvenience for you and your family. We will be happy to look at your available options when it comes to your monthly data plan. Please send us a private message by visiting our Facebook page or sending us a DM to ______@VZWSupport  on Twitter.  This way we can further assist you.  

In the mean time I have provided some additional instructions below on how to manage your monthly data usage:

You can manage your data in two ways:

My Verizon and My Verizon Mobile: Monitor your unbilled monthly data usage from the My Usage page

Usage Alerts: Set up usage alerts in My Verizon to send a notification when you're reaching your data limit. To set up a data alert:

Go to the Usage Alerts page in My Verizon.

Under the When to Alert section, scroll down to Data and select the alerts you'd like to receive.

Note: When a check mark appears above a percentage amount that indicates the alert has been turned on for that usage amount.

Click Save All Alerts.

RalphT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

mama23dogs
Legend

drrjv wrote:

If not Roll Over, it would be nice to just have Data turn off when I hit 40, but that would not be in Verizon's interest either.

IT is impossible for any carrier to shut off data at a particular point because of the way data is collected and reported by cell towers.   Each time your phone connects to a cell tower it starts recording data use.  It stops when you leave the tower area, connect to wifi or turn off the phone/mifi.  It reports the use hours later in batches, frequently during non peak use hours.

It's like writing checks all over town.  The checks don't take money from your bank balance until they are deposited or cashed by the payee, which could be much later than when you wrote the check.  If the total of the checks exceeds your balance, your account is overdrawn.