Not honoring plan price quoted on the phone after 10 yrs of loyalty
Armypilot44

After being a loyal customer for 10 years, I called 3 weeks ago to discuss my text messages that would have been over my allotted 500 texts due to a crisis at work.  The service rep was well more than understanding of the issue and resolved it.  While on the phone, she reviewed my current plan that was a family shared plan of 1400 minutes, 350 of which actually got used over 4 lines due to the ability to choose 10 phone numbers that wouldn't count against the 1400.  She explained that if I switched to the Share Everything plan with 2 smart phones and 2 standard phones and Unlimited phone and text and 10 GB of data), that it would save us about $20 per month.  If I upgraded one line as I was planning to a smart phone it would be an additional $15 which was still $5 cheaper than my current bill.  Now, three weeks later I call up to add the Smartphone I am told that the total bill is actually $10 more than my original plan agreement and adding the smart phone would be $35 more than what she quoted.  After well over an hour on the phone, and pleading at least 10 times for them to pull the tapes and listen to the recorded conversation 3 weeks earlier where I had the rep explicitly explain all the charges, nothing was resolved.  The rep said that his manager was contacting her manager via email and they would review the initial conversation.  All I was told was that if there was a misquote, it could not be honored.  I explained that I deserved an explanation as to where the misquote was and would be awaiting a call from Verizon explaining what happened.  He told me that probably wouldn't happen and that I could pay this higher rate or go back to my old plan.  This is no way an acceptable sales practice.  I deserve an answer as to what they find on the conversation and recorded phone call.  My bet is on the fact that no call or investigation is even going to be completed.  After 10 years I deserve an explanation.  I'm now searching other carriers.  Any recommendations?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Not honoring plan price quoted on the phone after 10 yrs of loyalty
Weth
Legend

Even with the recording it will not go your way. The quote by the CSR is correct, the access fee for the additional line is $15 with a More Everything plan of 10 GB or more (there is a current promotion that gives the same rate for 6 GB or more). However, as is the new practice with Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile, access no longer includes the cost of the phone. So you then have a monthly new phone payment of $20/month. That payment goes away when the phone is paid off or if you bring your own phone.

If you actually add up all the costs and consider you are saving the upfront upgrade fee of $40 and subsidized price of the phone, you usually end up ahead with this plan. As always, check your own math in both situations.

One very important step you must look at. Are any of your phones currently out of contract? If so, make sure you have the month to month discount on each of those lines. If a smartphone is out of contract with 10 GB of data, you will get $25/month off each smartphone line out of contract and $10/month of each basic phone out of contract. Often these are not added to your bill. You can add it yourself under features in My Verizon. Remember the phone must be out of contract.

That will be the best explanation you will get. Take the advice of the manager and accept the new phone and new monthly charges or return the phone and ask to go back to your old plan, or just have the More Everything Plan without a new phone and save $20/month.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Even with the recording it will not go your way. The quote by the CSR is correct, the access fee for the additional line is $15 with a More Everything plan of 10 GB or more (there is a current promotion that gives the same rate for 6 GB or more). However, as is the new practice with Verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile, access no longer includes the cost of the phone. So you then have a monthly new phone payment of $20/month. That payment goes away when the phone is paid off or if you bring your own phone.

If you actually add up all the costs and consider you are saving the upfront upgrade fee of $40 and subsidized price of the phone, you usually end up ahead with this plan. As always, check your own math in both situations.

One very important step you must look at. Are any of your phones currently out of contract? If so, make sure you have the month to month discount on each of those lines. If a smartphone is out of contract with 10 GB of data, you will get $25/month off each smartphone line out of contract and $10/month of each basic phone out of contract. Often these are not added to your bill. You can add it yourself under features in My Verizon. Remember the phone must be out of contract.

That will be the best explanation you will get. Take the advice of the manager and accept the new phone and new monthly charges or return the phone and ask to go back to your old plan, or just have the More Everything Plan without a new phone and save $20/month.

0 Likes
stacialowe
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having problems as well! I upgraded a basic phone to an iPhone and changed my plan as well all based on a quote. I was offered and agreed to 6 GB for $60. When the email arrived confirming my 4 GB plan I called. This was in December and I have been calling since! I have been told over and over the issue would be resolved but every time I log in to check, the plan remains wrong! I NEVER would have upgraded or changed the plan had I known that the data offerd would not be honored! My son needs the data since the military base he works at often has no wifi. He needs to be able to see emails etc from college . I just can not believe they have not corrected this! I am about ready to contact the local news consumer reporters to investigate this case and the apparent deceptive and dishonest sales practices. At first I trusted this was a simple error that would be fixed. Considering I made the plan change in December and as of today, March, the issue has not been corrected I now feel there is dishonest intent. I guess I have to write to the telecommunications address, local TV channels etc and get the word out about these unfair business practices.

0 Likes