Tried the s7 edge and it seems to be working flawlessly, all messages go to

and from the watches stock messaging app.. I'm extremely pleased, now just

have to wait for the N8.....

Thanks again for the advice.

0 Likes
Re: Number Share - SMS Text Messaging Problem
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

Too bad none of the above worked. VZW really needs to get this working right as promised.

The N8 looks awesome. Good luck!

0 Likes
M3GRSO

I have the same issue, though I managed to get it partially resolved.

Partially resolved is the key here...

I have the following:

• Nexus 6P
  • Gear S3

Obviously, my Gear S3 has it's own number, I can receive notifications when in standalone mode; however, while my outbound calls from my Gear S3 display my Host/Nexus 6P number, text messages aren't really working right. They still show that Gear number assigned to it that I wish not to memorize, nor should I have to.

Here's the partially resolved part, instead of using the Google Messages app, the Verizon Tech persuaded me to use the Verizon Message+ app. Here's what's odd though, it actually worked -- kind of.

In my testing, only text messages I send to Verizon subscribers do text messages from my Gear S3 in Standalone Mode appear as my Nexus number. Messages I send to other subscribers, like my work S8 (TMO) or my friend's iPhone (ATT) messages still show up as that alien number than belongs to my Gear S3.

Lord knows, I don't understand it, I don't get it. Verizon doesn't understand it, I question whether they care about it, but those are my issues regarding messaging with my Gear S3.

Still not technically resolved.

(Also, I don't really like the Message+ app. Looks antiquated, like a app written back when Jelly Bean 4.2 was new.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

M3FRSO,

Receiving messages from different numbers can be confusing. Let's keep going. What number displays when you used the standard messaging app? KatiM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

It is simple. Numbershare does not work AT ALL for messaging. It works fine for calls.

The only way to have messages sent and received from/by the watch as if from the phone's number is to use Samsung's Gear Manager app and enable the Remote Connection feature. This routes messages through Samsung servers so that messages from the watch go through the servers and are then sent/received from the phone. And then it only works if the phone is on and connected to the internet.

If you turn off the phone, or turn off Remote Connection, messages from the watch show and come from its dedicated number. And messages to the phone do not show up on the watch.

Now, months later, VZW continues to market this feature (which was a big reason I bought the watch) despite that it has never worked. The longer this goes on, the more angry customers you will have.

0 Likes
TommyBayshore
Enthusiast - Level 2

HAPPY to report that as of today with my host phone completely shut off, my S3 Frontier is now receiving texts sent to my cell phone (while my cell phone is off), also when i compost a new text and send it it shows up as my cell phone number.  This was my original problem which now seems to be fixed, the answer above is inaccurate.

TommyBayshore
Enthusiast - Level 2

It works fine now, even with the phone off.

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

That is great news, but they must be rolling it out. As of now, mine is not working yet. Just tested after I saw your message. Here in northern VA, no change so far. Calls working, messages not yet. Hope it gets to my area soon. Thanks for the update.

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

Glad it is working for you. I still have no luck. I chatted with VZW support today and got the same old answer: this is a known issue and they are working on it. The only difference is that they now say they are waiting for Samsung to send out an update.

Here it is, six months later, and one of the core marketed feature of numbershare does not work on the first device to support it. And yet, VZW continues to advertise that you can share calls and messages via Numbershare with the phone off. Lawyers call that a deceptive trade practice.

0 Likes
sccarlin
Contributor - Level 1

Can you tell me if you did anything particular to get this to work? I spent over an hour on the phone with VZW tech support today. This very helpful woman ran the issue up several levels and reported back what she was told.

Contrary to what I had been told several times before by VZW support and sales staff, Numbershare will NOT work for messages if the phone is off and it was not supposed to. She was told we need to use either the Gear Manager remote connection feature or Messages Plus (which the VZW web site expressly says you do not need to use).

In my prior tech support contacts, as recently as last week, I was told this is a known issue and that a fix was in the works. The woman today said her higher-ups told her there is no issue, there is no fix in the works and it is what it is.

Beyond frustrating how so many VZW people just lie to get you off the phone and to the next call.

Diana from today asked me to send her this thread and she took it to bring it to higher up tech people. She is going to call back tomorrow. And I believe her because she called me back after two hours today.

I have tried resetting the watch and rebooting it and the phone. Any idea how you got I to work for you?

0 Likes