Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Opinion on the "Verizon Edge" program please
MissChickness

I am contemplating on signing up for the Edge. My phone and my daughters phone are crap now and we seriously need to upgrade but aren't due until May of 2015. My monthly bill is already ridiculous, I really can't have it costing more. So of course the incentive for the edge cutting back your monthly bill looks appealing, but is it really true? If I have 3 lines and pay 200 a month, will my bill be lower if I switch to the edge AND upgrade to a better phone (iPhone6 for me & iPhone 5c for my daughter)?????? Opinions?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Opinion on the "Verizon Edge" program please
Not applicable

Unless they are offering an early edge upgrade you can't get on Edge until your contracts are up. If you are getting on early Edge upgrade you also have to turn in your current devices and they must be in good working condition.

Also depends on your data plans. But if you are upgrading to iPhone 6 I doubt you bill will be lower. You get an Edge discount of $15 or $25 per line on Edge depending on your data plan but you need to factor in the cost of the device too.

The cheapest iPhone 6 is $27.08 a month the iPhone 5c is $18.74. That's $45.80 a month. If you're on a less than 10 GB plan then you Edge discount will only be $30. So your bill will be higher. If you're on a 10 GB plan or higher then you're Edge discounts will total $50. So you'll save $4 plus around another $3 or so in line fee taxes( due to the line fee being less ). So maybe $7-$8 month cheaper.

View solution in original post

mmbs

The Edge plan is false in its advertising.  Not only do you pay all the mon they charges, the full price of the phone is included on the monthly bill. Of course it's prorated. The salespeople don't know ? about the programs they sell. Do more research.

0 Likes
Not applicable

you need to do your research.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Unless they are offering an early edge upgrade you can't get on Edge until your contracts are up. If you are getting on early Edge upgrade you also have to turn in your current devices and they must be in good working condition.

Also depends on your data plans. But if you are upgrading to iPhone 6 I doubt you bill will be lower. You get an Edge discount of $15 or $25 per line on Edge depending on your data plan but you need to factor in the cost of the device too.

The cheapest iPhone 6 is $27.08 a month the iPhone 5c is $18.74. That's $45.80 a month. If you're on a less than 10 GB plan then you Edge discount will only be $30. So your bill will be higher. If you're on a 10 GB plan or higher then you're Edge discounts will total $50. So you'll save $4 plus around another $3 or so in line fee taxes( due to the line fee being less ). So maybe $7-$8 month cheaper.

View solution in original post

Weth
Sr. Leader

Actually you should check facts before you make statements.

If you calculate the total cost of ownership over 2 years and you have a plan with 10 GB or more of data, you will almost always end up paying less with Edge than you will with a Contract plan. You will do this and actually have lower up front costs. Don't let any prices fool you, you are paying for the full price of the phone whether you do a contract or Edge.

Math:

Edge iPhone 6 $27.08/month for 24 months, $80/10GB/month x 24 months, $15/month access fee x 24 months

Total cost with Edge $2930

Contract cost - iPhone 6 $199 plus $30 upgrade fee, $80/10GB/month x 24 months, $40/month access fee x 24 months

Total cost with Contract $3109

Contract is $179 more expensive than Edge!  You just think and are getting fooled into thinking you are only paying $199 for the iPhone,

If you have a plan with less than 10 GB, the favor is in getting a 2 year contract.

Not applicable

With the $15 discount for most phones the cost isn't much different. If you took the amount of money you would have paid for a 2 year upgrade and applied that same amount to an Edge phone thus lowering your edge payment, at the end of the day even with a $15 discount you bill would only be $1 or $2 more per month per phone. Now there are cases like the LG 3G which is being offered for $30 where it's clearly better to get that on 2 year contract. Even with a $25 discount contract is maybe only $50 pricier after 2 years.

0 Likes
dad_of_2

Weth,

You forgot to add the second phone into your math.  It makes it more becouse everything would be times 2.

Edge iPhone 6 $27.08/month and Edge for the 5c is $18.74 for 24 months, $80/10GB/month x 24 months, $15/month access fee x 2 x 24 months

Total cost with Edge $3739.68

Contract cost - iPhone 6 $199 plus $30 upgrade fee and iphone 5c .99 plus $30 upgrade fee, $80/10GB/month x 24 months, $40/month access fee x 2 x 24 months

Total cost with Contract $7680 (before the cost of phones).

0 Likes
MissChickness

$7680 ? OMG, that just made me nauseous! lol

Not your fault, but thanks for the slap of reality 🙂 And thank you for your thoughts.

0 Likes
MissChickness

So let's say I was going to switch to the Edge, possibly upgrade my line but not the others. Do I still get the cheaper monthly per line charge? And the more I read about this the more it kind of looks like this: This is more like a how a "car lease" works. You pay less monthly then financing and always have a new vehicle when your sick of the one you currently have? Does this sound right?

Thank you all for your comments. I really do have some thinking to do I guess.

0 Likes
Not applicable

You can some lines on Edge some not. We have 5 lines, 2 on Edge 2 on contract 1 off contract. Only lines on Edge get the Edge discount. Yeah sort of like a lease. Except when a car lase is done you have to pay a huge payment if you want to keep the car. When you make all your Edge payments the phone is yours.

At some point in the near future subsidies will go away. T-Mobile did away with them over a year ago Sprint says they will probably do it next year. At&t and Verizon won't be far behind.

I will say this is your already have a 10 GB plan or higher Edge is definitely better than a contract. If it's less than 10 then it depends, but it'sa bout the same

0 Likes