Parental Control blocking/trusted
NE2005

I have looked all over the Verizon wireless sight and can't find an answer to this question.  As I understand it, if someone calls with a number not in the blocked list or an unknown caller id, the parental controls will not stop the call from going through.  The same works for the making calls right?  This sounds backwards from what it should be.  All your child would have to do is have the person block their caller id when they call and call numbers that you haven't blocked yet.  I have someone that I don't want my child to talk to with their cell phone, but they have multiple numbers that I don't know and can't put into a block list.  Shouldn't the system allow only calls that are trusted that way they can't work around the system?  Am I missing something with this setup?  If it works like I mentioned above, this parental control feature sounds fairly worthless and  is super easy to workaround.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Parental Control blocking/trusted
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

NE2005 wrote:

I have looked all over the Verizon wireless sight and can't find an answer to this question.  As I understand it, if someone calls with a number not in the blocked list or an unknown caller id, the parental controls will not stop the call from going through.  The same works for the making calls right?  This sounds backwards from what it should be.  All your child would have to do is have the person block their caller id when they call and call numbers that you haven't blocked yet.  I have someone that I don't want my child to talk to with their cell phone, but they have multiple numbers that I don't know and can't put into a block list.  Shouldn't the system allow only calls that are trusted that way they can't work around the system?  Am I missing something with this setup?  If it works like I mentioned above, this parental control feature sounds fairly worthless and  is super easy to workaround.

I do see where you are coming from on this issue. I don't know of a way to get around that. The person could still even use the spoofing feature to make any number appear on caller ID.

0 Likes
RedSkyAtNight

I just put Parental Control on a phone.  I restricted ALL the time and put numbers into the trusted list.  That way only numbers on the trusted list can be called or can call the phone.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
NE2005

If they inbound call has caller id blocked or if the inbound is unknown, will the call be able to go through anyway?  I had that problem with AT&T.  If the inboud was blocked or unknown, it let the call through anyway which defeated the whole system..

0 Likes
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

NE2005 wrote:

If they inbound call has caller id blocked or if the inbound is unknown, will the call be able to go through anyway?  I had that problem with AT&T.  If the inboud was blocked or unknown, it let the call through anyway which defeated the whole system..

This was after I posted my message. I saw another person on here say that if the person still calls even on a blocked number, the call still will not go through.

0 Likes
Muggle
Enthusiast - Level 1

My daughter has the Pantec Jest. Under the security option on the phone, I can set the people she can make and receive calls with. I have to put in two pins, that I set, and then add or delete people from her phone book. Then I set the phone to ONLY allow calls to and from those in her phone book. As far as we have seen, if the number is unlisted or restricted it will not go thru since it cannot verify whether the number is in the phone book. The down side to this is that she can still receive texts from any number. I have to block the texts thru Safe guards.

0 Likes