Phishing robocall $100 bonus
astrobrewer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday and today I have received robo-calls on my mobile phone that show up with caller ID as 800-922-2222.  The recording says that Verizon Wireless wants to give me $100 off my next phone bill and to go to www.mybonus100.com to sign up for my $100 credit.  The web site there is a rip-off of the www.verizonwireless.com site complete with a sign-in area asking for verizonwireless log in credentials.  I'm not sure if this forum is the best way to bring this to the attention of vzw or not, but someone needs to take this site down before some poor sucker tries to collect their $100. 

Here's a screenshot of the mybonus100.com site.  You have to look at the URL in the address bar to tell that it isn't the verizonwireless site, and if you just got a call purporting to be from verizon telling you to log into that site you might think that's ok.  A whois lookup of the mybonus100.com domain name shows that it was only registered yesterday, 5 May 2013, the same day I got the first call. 

Thanks

- John

mybonus100.png

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Phishing robocall $100 bonus
ssmaupin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received this exact same call.  I was skeptical and carefully looked over the http://www.mybonus100.com/ page.  First clue something was not right is the URL has nothing to do with Verizon but the page is a total replica of the verizonwireless.com page. Second the field that asks for your User ID or Cell Phone Number does not allow input.  The only field that allows input is the password field.  Needless to say I did not input that information but immediately searched "mybonus100.com scam" and found your entry.  Thank you for posting.

VKDS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just got the same call.

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

That's pretty legit looking, more people definitely need to know about this.

Not applicable

That's been around for a while or others trying the same thing.

0 Likes
santafemichael
Enthusiast - Level 2

EVERYONE should call 611 from your cell phone and complain . Ask for the number to be blocked and that they need to nip this quick!!

This is fraud and they are attempting to obtain Verizon client's access information.

I am on the telephone with them now.

Not applicable

I'm not sure how Verizon could block this.  Maybe they can, IDK.

0 Likes
santafemichael
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just called and had the number blocked from my telephone. I am now on hold with the fraud department.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes, anyone can block it on their own phone, but I'm not aware that Verizon can block it for everyone.

0 Likes
taperpowell

Yesterday, (5/6) I got the same call everyone else on this string got.  Today, 5/7, I got a call from the same number, 1-800-922-2222, but this time the automated voice told me to go to a slightly different website, mybonus115.com, and offered me $115 off my bill (instead of just $100, like yesterday).  Has anyone else besides me received this most recent variation?  Like others here, I reported the mybonus100.com yesterday, but I haven't called Verizon yet to tell them about the mybonus115 call today.  (What comes tomorrow?  mybonus130??)

0 Likes