Re: Phishing robocall $100 bonus
santafemichael
Enthusiast - Level 2

I haven't received any more calls since I had the number blocked by Verizon.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If nothing else, the website itself is fraudulent, and Verizon can sue for copyright infringement  - if they can track down whoever registered the domain and is hosting the website.

0 Likes
ssmaupin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the same $115 off my bill call today as well.  Also the $100 off one yesterday, both from the same 1-800-922-2222 number.  I sure wish these people doing this put as much effort in getting a real job as they do in trying to run a scam.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the bonus100 site is gone, but mybonus115.com took it's place.  Ugh.

0 Likes
jonnyb518

they changed their scheme now it is 115 so www.mybonus115.com the page is down when i checked but who knows when it will be up. where are they getting phone numbers from? How did they know i was a verizon customer?

0 Likes
astrobrewer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got another call from 800-922-2222 this morning and answered it before I saw the number.  I hung up as soon as I heard that it was about Verizon wanting to give me money, so I don't know if it was from the 100 or the 115 folks.  But it sounded like the same recording.  That's 3 calls in 3 days.  I blocked the number on all my phones.  I hope that's the last I hear from them. 

It does look like someone is trying to stop these guys.  The whois lookup of www.mybonus100.com now shows that the domain name is available.  www.mybonus115.com is registered to someone in the Dominican Republic on 5/6 but the whois lookup says "Status: Locked." 

0 Likes
wake-up-verizon

Sorry to admit it but I fell for the scam. Four days later 4 smart phones on my account were deactivated and reactivated on other cells that immediately started making calls to Jamaica and Cuba. We never got an email from Verizon about the changes. When my daughter called at 9:30 that morning, the customer service simply deactivated the new phone and reactivated hers. There was no connection to the fraud department, no red flag, and no investigation, until that afternoon when my husband and I went to a Verizon store with our phones that didn't work. Then all of a sudden, the fraud department was right on top of it. Right! I asked to speak to them after everything was taken care of. But, after being on hold for about an hour, they closed. Guess fraud only happens during office hours.

Maybe 911 should only be open during office hours and take an hour on hold to contact.

In the days that followed, after hours of being on hold and talking to one person after another, I finally spoke to a person in the fraud department who was well aware of the whole scam. She explained that once on your own account's site, all that is needed for a new phone to be activated on an existing number is a few clicks of a mouse, not even the password you have to give Verizon to talk to them!

I asked her how difficult would it be to simply require a text of a security code or email to finalize the transaction. Banks do the same thing if you are using an unrecognized computer. She didn’t think much of the idea and started in about cloned phones. It didn’t make a lick of sense.

From my Google search I see these scams have been going on with Verizon for years. But don’t worry. She told me they have a committee working on it. Now that inspired some new confidence!

WOW!! THANK YOU VERIZON SECURITY!!!

Any bets on how many thousands will fall victim before Verizon gets their act together?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe a little research could have saved you a lot of grief.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

wake-up-verizon wrote:

Sorry to admit it but I fell for the scam. Four days later 4 smart phones on my account were deactivated and reactivated on other cells that immediately started making calls to Jamaica and Cuba. We never got an email from Verizon about the changes.

Did it ever a occur to you the scammers changed the e-mail address so you wouldn't get one? Also no need for the large text. Seriously what was the point other than to be irritating and look foolish?

Also you didn't think the website name was a HUGE clue as to it being a rip off? I amazed in 2013 this stuff still happens.

0 Likes
Not applicable

jonnyb518 wrote:

they changed their scheme now it is 115 so www.mybonus115.com the page is down when i checked but who knows when it will be up. where are they getting phone numbers from? How did they know i was a verizon customer?

From your phone number.

0 Likes