Phone goes from 4G to 1X when making a call
JOYADK98
Enthusiast - Level 2

On Saturday evening, 08/26/2018, I noticed that my phone had 1x service and I could not make/receive calls.  I do live rural, but have never had this problem before.  It was fine earlier today, both at home and when I was in town.  I noticed it about 8:30 when I tried to call my husband before he left work at 9 PM.  I have 4G one minute, the next 1x.  I can make a call with 4G and 10 seconds later the call will drop and I will have 1x.  I am unable to make/receive calls.

My husband worked until 9 PM 08/26/2018.  His phone (the same kind as mine) was also fine until he got home - when he had the 4G to 1x service and unable to make/receive calls.

Got up this morning, Sunday, 08/26/2018, both phone batteries were drained even though they were both charged to 100% before going to bed about midnight.  Neither were used overnight.  We both have the same problem, 4G going to 1x when trying to make a call and not able to make or receive calls.  My husband had to go to work at 10 AM and his phone is working fine at work. 

I can connect to Wi-Fi on the phone and it works fine.

I tried chatting with Verizon - they just had me change a bunch of settings, said no service outage reported, and that they would create a ticket and somebody should get back to me within 1-3 days.

Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it?  I work from home and a phone is a requirement. 

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Re: Phone goes from 4G to 1X when making a call
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello JOYADK98! We understand your concern regarding service in the area. I would be concerned as well if my phone was switching from 4G to 1X. I am glad to know that you were able to contact someone via chat, troubleshoot, and get a ticket filed for the area. The resolution can take 1-3 business days. The ticket filed is the last step for troubleshooting. We recommend waiting for a resolution from our engineers.    

Tionna_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JOYADK98
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, I work from home and a phone is a requirement.  Since I do not have a landline - having to wait 3 days for a response is unacceptable.....

I trust my bill will be credited.  I also am getting ready to head to town to check out other wireless carriers.  I bet they would not wait 1-3 days for me to pay my bill !!

A very dissatisfied customer.

boringusername
Master - Level 1

JOYADK98 wrote:

Unfortunately, I work from home and a phone is a requirement. Since I do not have a landline - having to wait 3 days for a response is unacceptable.....

I trust my bill will be credited. I also am getting ready to head to town to check out other wireless carriers. I bet they would not wait 1-3 days for me to pay my bill !!

A very dissatisfied customer.

It seem if phone access is that important you should invest in a landline. What phone do you have do you have? Is HD calling activated because calls normally goes over 1X anyway unless you have a phone that does HD calling and it's activated.

0 Likes
JOYADK98
Enthusiast - Level 2

The whole point of getting the cell phones was to do away with the landline

and an extra bill. Unfortunately, this has not worked out that way. I did

call yesterday and ordered my landline to be turned back on - which they

were very prompt in doing so - it was on this morning when I got up.

Unfortunately, when I placed the order for the landline, they did not give

me a phone number....told me that I would receive an email - which I have

not received yet. So, I have a landline, just have no clue what the number

is. Lovely customer service. I wonder if they would be as understanding

if I failed to pay my bill?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:48 AM, boringusername <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Blkrose74
Enthusiast - Level 1

They did me the same way on my gear watch then they would not reactivate it  verzion is terrible, at&t wouldn't do you like that there not jerks like verzion

Content modified as required by Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Joyadk98, I understand the importance of having service at your home. While we wait for a resolution, do you have Wi-Fi at home? What model device do you have?

Alberto_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JOYADK98
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have Wi-Fi. I have a Samsung J3V. I ended up getting a landline so I

would have a backup phone source.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 2:08 PM, vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Blkrose74,

We always want for your device to work as it should. I'm sorry to read that for some reason your watch would not reactivate. We appreciate your business & wouldn't want for you to feel this way about us at all. I've sent you a Private Message so that I can provide you the personalized assistance that is needed. Please reply back to me in the Private Message to continue.

Alicia_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information Joyadk98. You're Samsung J3V is it currently set up for Wi-Fi calling? Have you powered the  device off and back on since experiencing this issue?

0 Likes