Phone hotspot vs dedicated hotspot
nboylan

I live way out in the boonies, and the only way I can get decent broadband out here is through cellular. Verizon is the only good signal out here, so I have a Palm Pre Plus with Mobile Hotspot.

Problem is, the internet is still tremendously slow at times. For example, loading a 1 minute long youtube video can take 10-15 minutes. Sometimes it cooks, and doesn't need to buffer at all, but that's rare. And it seems when I use the hotspot for more than 30-45 minutes, the phone gets really hot.

My question is, if I purchase a dedicated hotspot like a MiFi, will that increase the internet speed at all? Is my phone somehow not as good a wireless hotspot as something dedicated would be?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Phone hotspot vs dedicated hotspot
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Although you classify your residence as the boonies, it is still possible that you reside in an area where speeds can be better using a mifi vs. mobile hotspot. I would do this: Plug your address into the 4G coverage map (http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/coverage) and then consult on this matter with VZW's sales team (800-265-4646) about the possibility of adding a line to your account for a 4G mifi device. 

0 Likes