Phone number spoofing
CHRISDOCCC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think my phone number is being spoofed. Twice now in the past few days a number with the same area code and next three digits has called me. One number left a message on my phone angry with me calling them. They even stated my first name in the voicemail. I checked my logs and I've never called any of these numbers. This is a bit concerning. Is there any solution to this besides changing my number?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Phone number spoofing
GraniteFox
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. People calling saying they have a missed call from me, but I did not call them. Luckily it's in the south and most people are nice about it. I had my Verizon account hacked and my debit card information was stolen and used to purchase something from a seller that LOOKED like "VERIZON WIRELESS" but my bank statement said "VZWRLS". They took almost $300 from me, but the bank refunded me. Verizon customer service was so confused, and tried to charge me themselves for that amount because my bank got confused and tried to charge Verizon as the actual scammer. I removed my bank info from Verizon and changed my password but STILL get spam calls from numbers with my area code and people calling back saying I called them. I've been told I can only change my # Smiley Sad

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

GraniteFox, I can understand how getting these unwanted calls can be an annoyance. I want to make sure that we do everything we can to stop these unwanted phone calls. There are a few things that we can do to help stop these calls. We do offer Family Base would allow you to block up to 20 numbers, spam callers, and Unknown numbers. Check out those details here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/block-numbers/

Also, have you applied your mobile number to the National Do Not Call Registry: https://www.donotcall.gov/. These steps could help with limiting these calls from coming into your phone.

KevinR_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
CHRISDOCCC
Enthusiast - Level 1

What should I do about my original problem? I'm still getting people calling me saying my number called them. All the numbers have the same area code and the same next three digits. Is there any way to stop people from spoofing my number?????

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

CHRISDOCCC,

We certainly want to make sure that we address your concern promptly. If these people are using a spoofing web site we are unable to stop this from happening. It may be best to pursue matters through the authorities. We can also discuss your options to change your number via http://vzw.com/myverizon if needed.

NicoleT_VZW   Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport 

0 Likes
alanNew
Enthusiast - Level 1

VZW;

I have also received calls from local numbers on my work phone.  I need to return the call as it may be a customer.  However, upon returning the call the caller and not initiated a call for me.

How does this even happen?  Is it a network security issue or a phone security flaw?  I pay a significant amount of money monthly for Verizon "service".  Why is the only option for customers to contact non Verizon resources or pay for additional services?

rcschnoor
Legend

alanNew wrote:

How does this even happen? Is it a network security issue or a phone security flaw? I pay a significant amount of money monthly for Verizon "service". Why is the only option for customers to contact non Verizon resources or pay for additional services?

Because it is IMPOSSIBLE for Verizon to do anything, especially if the person initiating the call is not using Verizon as a service provider.

Spoofing and Caller ID | Federal Communications Commission

0 Likes
NEIBAS40
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue. I am being number spoofed to other phone #s that have the same first 6 digits as my number. When you say 'contact the authorities', what does that mean? Who?

rcschnoor
Legend

NEIBAS40 wrote:

I have the same issue. I am being number spoofed to other phone #s that have the same first 6 digits as my number. When you say 'contact the authorities', what does that mean? Who?

The FCC:

FCC Complaints

0 Likes
Snoopy67
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this problem as well and random people are calling me angry that my number keeps calling them and the area code and first three digits are the same as mine.  I went to the Verizon store and got no help.  Ironically he said he didn’t think it is a Verizon problem, but then when I asked him to check and see if the two people that called me telling me that my number is showing up on their caller ID are Verizon customers, both are Verizon customers too.  My number was not originally a Verizon number but I kept it when I moved to Verizon about a month ago.....again ironically when this problem started happening.