Re: Phone number spoofing
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Receiving unwanted calls is never ideal. We truly want to get to the bottom of this. I'm curious how often are you receiving these calls about your number?

JoelD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Snoopy67
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not receiving these calls.  Other people

are receiving calls that show caller ID as my

cell number.  I went to your store in Salem,Va

today about it and Matt was no help.  He said

he didn’t know why it was happening.  When I

asked him to check the numbers of the people

that called me to chew me out about what

looked to them to be calls from me, to see if

they too are Verizon customers, he confirmed

that they both are Verizon customers as well,

but still didn’t pursue any further investigation.

I googled this issue and it apparently has been

happening to quite many of your customers,

so further investigation should be made by Verizon.

All your employee Matt did was try and all me

an Apple Watch, not fix or investigate this issue

further.

I hope no one is a victim of a scam from whoever

is spoofing my cell number, and then law

enforcement will come after me.

Thanks,

Robin[Removed]

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

deloused
Master - Level 3

If you want your spoofing issue to be investigated you can report it to the FCC as they’re the appropriate authority. Verizon or any of the other carriers cannot do that.

http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/callerid.pdf

dowwilson
Enthusiast - Level 2

This can be stopped on Verizon's end, but then they couldn't make their $2.99 per month per line for the Caller Name ID feature, which is useless. You report and nothing happens other than they take another $2.99 from you next month. It's like the days when certain "Virus Protection Software" companies were actually creating viruses to promote their business!! They are fine with people using your number to cause irritation as long as they make their money.Sadly, for now, their are no cell companies out there that care. One day there will be and then we can see an influx of "Oh, we figured it out" when they start losing business to them. Be a leader and earn your $17,441,424 annual compensation Mr. McAdam and fix it!! racket​

mama23dogs
Legend

The $2.99 for caller ID has nothing to do with preventing or even identifying spoofing.  Spoofing is the illegal practice of using a computer to “spoof” a number that doesn’t belong to the “spoofer”. 

So if your paying $2,99 thinking it will filter spoofed calls, cancel, it will not do so.

Add Hiya, Which will filter everything except spoofed calls.

Spoofing is not permitted by any carrier. It’s illegal and impossible to catch or prevent, at least not so far.   Most spoofers are operating computers outside the US. 

There are apps which filter out spam, fraud, robo calls and telemarketing calls.  They cannot filter spoofed calls as the numbers are legit and the spoofers change numbers very frequently.

Your caller ID may read your number, Aunt Mary or just cell phone, when the number has been spoofed.

Because those numbers belong to a legit person or company they will never be filtered by any carrier or program. 

0 Likes
dowwilson
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have walked on the moon with less technology. It can be done.Phones have unique IMEI numbers.

The IMEI or MEID number for your mobile phone acts as a unique identifier for that device. No two devices will have the same IMEI or MEID, which makes it a very useful tool for tracking lost or stolen cell phones. OR identifying a spoofer. Phone numbers are simply a cover number that can easily be copied and used, not so with the IMEI. That is where they need to "begin" with "knowing" how to stop the spoofing.

mama23dogs
Legend

That only works if only cell phone numbers are being spoofed.  Which is not the case.  I get spoofed calls from local, landline numbers too.

Lets keep in mind there is also legitimate “spoofing”.   When ever using Verizon messages from a computer to reply to text, or when using ATT Number Sync or T-mobile Digits to make or answer calls on a secondary device. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I think you are over simplifying. Spoofing IS NOT illegal except in cases with the intent to defraud, cause harm or wrongly obtain anything of value.

A telemarketer spoofing a local number in order to have a better chance of having the call answered but THEN tells you the real reason for the call, i.e. to sell you something, would not be an attempt to defraud and therefore not illegal.

Spoofing and Caller ID | Federal Communications Commission

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

We have walked on the moon with less technology.“

Indeed, the crux of the issue literally that- due to the availability/advancement of programs, apps & the internet providing more spoofing capabilities.

With each call processed by the network the unique serial numbers for wireless devices (IMEI/MEIDs) are used by Verizon (and every other wireless carrier) to authenticate the user and bill appropriately. This was one way that helped reduce cloning fraud from the past where some users had been billed from their service provider for calls a thief had actually made by programming a device in their possession with that of a legitimate phone/serial number.

Verizon‘s network (and every other wireless carrier) doesn’t actually process outgoing calls in which the user’s caller ID number is spoofed by an unauthorized party. The only caller ID number display options are to show it, or hide it by blocking it, but not to alter/spoof it. With the legitimate carrier services that offer spoofed caller ID mentioned in other posts (such as when a user sets up integrated calling to a device with another serial ID such as a tablet, or Number Sharing to a watch etc) to allow the secondary devices to display a phone’s number instead of the number actually in the secondary device.

It‘s actually the many programs/apps available that use voice over internet protocol to process an outgoing call instead of the traditional wireless networks that can be used to spoof the caller ID number. Some common ones used by many for legitimate reasons are Skype (or Google Voice) to make outgoing calls on a phone/tablet/computer and have the caller ID spoofed on all calls to be the same phone number associated with the Skype account even though the tablet actually has a different phone number/serial number and the computer doesn’t actually have a number or MEID/IMEI. Of course there are several other programs & apps out there that are also used for non-legitimate purposes to make VOIP calls.

The reason that carriers can’t assist further to stop  an unknown person from spoofing a caller ID number is because they have no control over it, as in this case the spoofers are using VOIP to initiate the call instead of the traditional wireless networks that authenticate the actual device ID & number. For example- If a scammer from India uses an auto dialing computer program to make VOIP calls to a USA phone number on AT&T, and sets their outgoing caller ID to display your USA phone number used on Verizon there isn’t a way to prevent them from doing that. Since VOIP initiated calls are often made from devices that do not have an MEID/IMEI or an actual phone number such as a PC, the programming options do allow for the user to set the caller ID number.

If such spoofing is done in conjunction with illegal activities (harassment, scams etc) the FCC can investigate those complaints, as well as fine and/or shut down the parties involved if within their domestic jurisdiction.

mama23dogs
Legend

Both great information! 

deloused​ thanks for that post.

0 Likes