Re: Phone number spoofing
JORWIL29
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received a threatening phone call from a woman yelling and cussing at me telling me she was going to have my <<removed>> thrown in jail for harassment because I would not stop calling her.  The funny thing is that I have never called her and her number is very similar to mine.  I pay Verizon over $130 a month on my bill and it is completely absurd to me that I am not protected from this fraudulent "spoofing".  it is EXTREMELY unpleasant to receive a phone call and be berated by a stranger for something Verizon should be taken care of.  I am immensely upset and I want answers.

<< Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

mama23dogs
Legend

I don’t suppose you read the thread?  Please do.  Number spoofing is not something that any carrier can fix.  Great posts by deloused​ and rcschnoor

Spoofers don’t use any number for long. 

What you can do is

1.  Not answer a number you don’t know

2.   Tell caller your number is being spoofed and you did not call her/him, but you’ve been getting a lot of upset call backs just like hers/his.  If you sound upset or sad it will diffuse the anger. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

<<removed>>, we never want any of our customers to feel like we are threatened in any way. We would be happy to assist you in getting this resolved. You can always block any numbers that you do want by going to http://spr.ly/6587DOKg3.

NicoleC_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

<< Content removed to comply with Verizon Wireless Terms of Service >>

0 Likes
BRUGER51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Spoofing is something the carriers can fix, but not for the amount of time and money they are willing to invest. That would entail working with regulators like the FCC and state PSCs to get tools in place to do it, and cooperating with other carriers to establish some systems and protocols for a better Caller ID system.  Would be great if Verizon would take the lead and use this as a competitive advantage, instead of all the marketing money thrown into the coverage map baloney by all the carriers. As a cell phone company, "Don't answer your phone" is not advice you should want your customers to be left with.        

mama23dogs
Legend

Read deloused post....

0 Likes
BRUGER51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Exactly.  Verizon (and other carriers') legislative affairs groups (no lack of paid lobbyists there) need to work to get Truth in Caller ID Act amended.  In the meantime, technology solutions are within the carriers' ability, but the financial payback isn't there (yet) for them to invest in.  FCC doesn't have the resources or the motivation to address. 

mama23dogs
Legend

I don’t think you read the same post.  He says, NOT POSDIBLE and why.  I agree.  If anything, carriers have every reason to let telemarketing and robo calls go unchecked.  Yet those can and are controlled with Hiya and Call Protect and Verizon’s subscription option.

If you read deloused post, spoofing happened legit every time a customer uses Verizon or ATT messages, Apple watch, or similar synced device.

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

BRUGER51 wrote:

Exactly. Verizon (and other carriers') legislative affairs groups (no lack of paid lobbyists there) need to work to get Truth in Caller ID Act amended. In the meantime, technology solutions are within the carriers' ability, but the financial payback isn't there (yet) for them to invest in. FCC doesn't have the resources or the motivation to address.

You'd understand that BY LAW carries had to allow ALL calls through until Nov 2017 when the FCC said the carrier could start blocking calls from fake numbers.

0 Likes
BRUGER51
Enthusiast - Level 2

Doesn’t mean you can’t be working on regulatory and technical solutions, like Canada is doing with STIR/SHAKEN system. How many apologists has Verizon spiked this forum with?

Sent from my iPhone

boringusername
Master - Level 1

BRUGER51 wrote:

Doesn’t mean you can’t be working on regulatory and technical solutions, like Canada is doing with STIR/SHAKEN system. How many apologists has Verizon spiked this forum with?

Sent from my iPhone

Canada is not the US. It is it's own country it's not a state. Not apologizing for Verizon. try READING. LEGALLY no carrier could block a call from going through until November 16, 2017. That is FACT. What you are suggesting is that Verizon should have violated federal law.

FCC adopts new rules aimed at stopping robocalls

0 Likes